Unknown phones showing up connected to my network

We have several devices connected to our wifi network, but as far as phones are concerned, there is 2 different phones that have been showing up in my network in the past couple of days, one a BLU Studio 5.0c and the other a sprint_wwe_boost HTC C525c, both show a MAC Address that i have blocked from my router but they still show up, any input on what could be happening? if some neighbor figured out my wifi password, why would it still showing up connected after i blocked it from my router?

im a bit lost, thanks 

What kind of Wi-Fi setup do you have? Do you have more than one wireless (re: Guest) network running?

I'm using an apple time capsule with an airport express as an extender, couple of Windows 10 Machines and 2 apple computers as well. No guest access, network is WiFi protected WPA2 password.

just because you block a mac means nothing to the authentication to the wifi..  blocking mac is pointless extra nonsense, its good it keeping your kids from using the internet when they are suppose to be in bed.  Other than that not much..  Change your PSK, make sure its strong..

You sure your actually WPA2 and not just open?  You do understand that P@ssw0rd is not a very good psk right?

I will be changing the password today and see what happens, if I said I'm using WPA2 is because that's what I'm using, I set that up myself and checked again to make sure it was still that way, and no, I don't use "P@ssw0rd".

I google one of the phone models shown connected and was a bit thrilled to find that someone else had the same situation in one of the webroot forums I believe.

how are you seeing these devices on your network?  Is your dhcp server reporting that it gave an IP to its mac?  Have they dropped off the network once you changed the PSK?  You don't have WPS enabled do you?  You don't have anything else running on your network as AP, rogue?  That is open?

Could you point to this other thread that is showing these sort of phones connected to their network?

Now today is showing a Kyocera C6750, this is so weird, I did another google search and found something

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/unknown-phone-appears-as-a-conected-devices-in-my/6e482ac3-23f3-4a4d-9cc2-1a30dd35ed9e?page=3

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/why-is-an-unknown-cell-phone-showing-up-on-my-network-603806/

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2323152/network-discovery-unknown-devices-found-network.html

it seems this is an old issue since windows 8, I just noticed it since I just started using windows again since the Windows 10 release.

Edited by Snakehn

While changing the SSID and psk is fine - "disable the broadcast" this is NONSENSE!!

So your seeing ODD stuff on your "network map" yeah that is not really someone connected to your network.  Please post screen shot of what your seeing please.

I get this also on my Sky router.  I see some phone name show up, but then disappear.

I am 100% sure they don't know my password (I preach password security all the time).

Weird.

While changing the SSID and psk is fine - "disable the broadcast" this is NONSENSE!!

If someone is really connecting to his network disabling the broadcast is useless without changing the SSID.  Thought that was a obvious point.    Personally, I never broadcast my SSID.  I dont like advertising my info at all.  And yes, if you are really good at hacking in to someone's network, disabling this feature wouldnt matter.  But not many people have the means to do so or would bother with some random person.

"Personally, I never broadcast my SSID"

Good for you - you use one of the top 6 dumbest ways of securing your network.

SSID should always be broadcasted ALWAYS!!  Hiding it just makes life difficult for you and your users, it is not a security feature not broadcasting it.  You do understand know that every client that has ever connected to this network is broadcasting it where they go - looking for it.. Hey is that hiddenssid here, so I can connect to you!

Only person your hiding it from is your users. 

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/

SSID hiding: There is no such thing as "SSID hiding". You're only hiding SSID beaconing on the Access Point. There are 4 other mechanisms that also broadcast the SSID over the 2.4 or 5 GHz spectrum. The 4 mechanisms are; probe requests, probe responses, association requests, and re-association requests. Essentially, youre talking about hiding 1 of 5 SSID broadcast mechanisms. Nothing is hidden and all youve achieved is cause problems for Wi-Fi roaming when a client jumps from AP to AP. Hidden SSIDs also makes wireless LANs less user friendly. You dont need to take my word for it. Just ask Robert Moskowitz who is the Senior Technical Director of ICSA Labs in his white paper Debunking the myth of SSID hiding.

• Like 3

"Personally, I never broadcast my SSID"

Good for you - you use one of the top 6 dumbest ways of securing your network.

Called personal preference.  I never put personal info out there unless I have to, period.

Dude who says your ssid should be personal ?  Call it fbi van #42 if you want..  Here is my take from any one that does not broadcast their ssid - they don't have a clue.  And everything they say going forward for anything related to wifi is tainted with this information.  That is my personal preference ;)

Your not hiding anything!!!  Your just making it harder to connect devices to your network..

While you can do what you want.. Please don't suggest people hide theirs - its NOT something anywone should be doing..  And the fact that wifi routers even make it an option is just ridiculous

Yea, real hard to manually add a connection.....  And if you have the right tools, yea you can find out the SSID.  Not the point, I just like to keep my things as private as I can.  I am a private guy...get over it.

Edited by techbeck

just because you block a mac means nothing to the authentication to the wifi..  blocking mac is pointless extra nonsense, its good it keeping your kids from using the internet when they are suppose to be in bed.  Other than that not much..  Change your PSK, make sure its strong..

You sure your actually WPA2 and not just open?  You do understand that P@ssw0rd is not a very good psk right?

Fun note to make you laugh... there is a uk isp who re-sell internet and i deal with them on a daily basis. The "hidden" super-admin account in all their routers sent to customers has the username as "tech" and the password of P@ssw0rd haha

Edited by Byt

• sc302 locked this topic