Snow Vista 2.0

Hello everyone!

I just finished making a new version of my program: Snow Vista 2.0. It's a program that I made in Java.

I would really appreciate it if you could look at my program and give me any feedback that you may have about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8lF1CFL6Uk

Hmm.. you may want to hire someone to help you on the UI side of things.

Yes, I've been told that before. I just overhauled the interface in this version.

I guess the interface could still use some improvements then?

Yes, I've been told that before. I just overhauled the interface in this version.

I guess the interface could still use some improvements then?

A little, yes ;)

I really want to make programs that will help people I was hoping that this program would help people to get things done faster and be more productive.

I really want to make programs that will help people I was hoping that this program would help people to get things done faster and be more productive.

You  need to clean up the UI and style it properly. For example, I should never have to close aa popup window I used to create a task or whatever. It should close for me upon successful creation.

• Like 1

You  need to clean up the UI and style it properly. For example, I should never have to close aa popup window I used to create a task or whatever. It should close for me upon successful creation.

Thanks! That's a good suggestion!

Snowbooks1419: I suggest that you look at other programs and their interfaces.  Then figure out which style you like, then figure out how you can acheive that look using Java. For example, I really like material design, so I look at that. You don't have to choose that. Once you have chosen your UI you like, look at this question to figure out the library you want to use. Take into account the platforms you want to run on (some use native DLLs), and speed/size. Once you have all that, you can learn the library. Make sure to follow guidelines when starting out, it will help you understand what a "good" GUI looks like. Then, when you have experience, you can start doing it more yourself. Good luck!

Snowbooks1419: I suggest that you look at other programs and their interfaces.  Then figure out which style you like, then figure out how you can acheive that look using Java. For example, I really like material design, so I look at that. You don't have to choose that. Once you have chosen your UI you like, look at this question to figure out the library you want to use. Take into account the platforms you want to run on (some use native DLLs), and speed/size. Once you have all that, you can learn the library. Make sure to follow guidelines when starting out, it will help you understand what a "good" GUI looks like. Then, when you have experience, you can start doing it more yourself. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it! :)

I was hoping that this program would help people to get things done faster and be more productive.

A noble gesture, but are you genuinely trying to suggest that you wrote this for others rather than something you threw together for your own learning?  Not saying that's not great, well done, you wrote a functioning app that does a few things - but the presentation of it is abysmal and completely detracts from what you suggest it's purpose is.  Look at other apps, and tell me yours is going to be "faster and more productive"?  I personally do not see how a "random story generator" gaffer taped to a semi-usable calendar will achieve that.

I don't mean to sound negative, I just think your comments are a little disingenuous.

Edited by Nik L

Nobody will use this. By all means show off what you've been able to achieve but don't pretend this is for anyone other than yourself.

PS - You'd be better off learning how to develop Metro apps.

At first, the program was for my own learning, yes. (And it still is, to a certain degree.) However, I had just been hoping that others would also be able to benefit from it. I'm sorry if the comment that you referred to came off the wrong way.

I know that other apps are much, much, much better than the program that I demonstrated in the video. That's why I'm looking for advice on how to make it better! :)