Gaming on Linux

afaik arch does not support steam currently. that's also why i am back from arch to kubuntu.

So I played with antegros for a while. Then I played with debian for a bit.

Today I installed mint (in vm). Without adding drivers or new repos I clicked on the software manager and searched 'steam' and it was there! I clicked install and it completed! then I opened steam and it updated and launched!

After that was done steam shows a tab under my library showing which games I own are linux supported 40/80 of them (which is way more than I expected) games I'm playing right now like csgo, dota2, and the witcher 2 among some other great games. 

Within 10 minutes I had installed linux mint and had csgo installed and running without having to touch terminal or fix any error messages or play with any of the other BS I was reading. 

I've played with almost all of the major distros at one time or another and linux mint is definitely the best thing i've found. I'll most likely be installing it as my daily driver to force myself into and see how it runs. :D

• Like 3

So I played with antegros for a while. Then I played with debian for a bit.

Today I installed mint (in vm). Without adding drivers or new repos I clicked on the software manager and searched 'steam' and it was there! I clicked install and it completed! then I opened steam and it updated and launched!

After that was done steam shows a tab under my library showing which games I own are linux supported 40/80 of them (which is way more than I expected) games I'm playing right now like csgo, dota2, and the witcher 2 among some other great games. 

Within 10 minutes I had installed linux mint and had csgo installed and running without having to touch terminal or fix any error messages or play with any of the other BS I was reading. 

I've played with almost all of the major distros at one time or another and linux mint is definitely the best thing i've found. I'll most likely be installing it as my daily driver to force myself into and see how it runs. :D

see.... that's what most linux users here are trying to say. don't base your judgement of linux on one experience alone. try at least a few distros out and find what is suiting your needs. :)

• Like 2

see.... that's what most linux users here are trying to say. don't base your judgement of linux on one experience alone. try at least a few distros out and find what is suiting your needs. :)

no. mint is the best and everyone else is wrong. :)

no. mint is the best and everyone else is wrong. :)

Not necessarily.... For you, yes. For everyone, no..

• Like 2

Not necessarily.... For you, yes. For everyone, no..

I was mostly joking, but the thing holding linux back from wide adoption is ease of use, and so far linux mint has the best ease of use that ive seen. 

I was mostly joking, but the thing holding linux back from wide adoption is ease of use, and so far linux mint has the best ease of use that ive seen. 

this might very well be, however kde on kubuntu is the same as on mint afaik.

security wise there is a lot of debate, if mints package system is really the way to go or not btw and i am rather a guy who prefers to get every update afap even if that means a potential instability.

this might very well be, however kde on kubuntu is the same as on mint afaik.

security wise there is a lot of debate, if mints package system is really the way to go or not btw and i am rather a guy who prefers to get every update afap even if that means a potential instability.

you guys have it so easy on linux now.
back in the day when i was learning computer science, i had to manually edit a lot of code, just to get it ANY PROGRAM to compile to run my distribution.
EVERYTHING WAS SOURCE CODE.  or as the very least needed a few custom build binaries.

kde has just came out the same year i was learning linux.   (1998 i believe)

it was great fun, but the idea to have a easy one click install was just staring in 98-99.
it is a shame that even with all the super easy packages, etc...     linux is not more widely used.

the only reason i am not using linux is the gaming, and i see they (valve) are finally working on it.
for everything else linux is fine.  though i ms office is still an issue too, but it is not important to me as much as it used to be.

man i am now wanting to try one of the new linux os'es.  it has being more then 10 years since i last run linux.   i have to give it a go again.

mint you say? or kubuntu?         considering that i don't know much now, and forgot all of the coding (switched to finance shortly after)
but was a power user 12 years ago (when i dropped linux) ???

Edited by e.worm jimmmy

40 of the 80 games I own on steam are supported naively on linux, most of the games i'm playing. 

If all the companys only see windows users they're never going to improve linux support. 

It's the only thing stopping me now from moving to Linux, I game on ESO + TF2, I really need to know 100% that I can setup and go within a day, and be playing the games since my other half would not appreciate me learning to compile code for Linux in order to load her game!

90% of distro's these days, except for Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, etc. do you have to worry about compiling anything anymore. Most, not all, Steam games run natively, without Wine.

It's the only thing stopping me now from moving to Linux, I game on ESO + TF2, I really need to know 100% that I can setup and go within a day, and be playing the games since my other half would not appreciate me learning to compile code for Linux in order to load her game!

There are a number of options. Install on a spare machine, try it in a VM, or even test in a livecd/pen drive. Although I don't know if the latter is possible.

At this stage, I'd probably work with SteamOS. Valve are working off the bat with hardware developers to optimise it for gaming, it's probably going to be a bit rough around the edges, but I'd give it a go if I were to game on Linux.

• Like 1

I did end up going back to windows 10. 

Linux mint is by far the easiest distro i've used and very used friendly, but for gaming it looks like linux is still short. 

I managed to get league of legends working through wine but it was very laggy for the most part, even on medium graphics. 

CSGO installed natively and ran quite well but would have small frame drops every few seconds which were annoying. 

It looks like it is possible to setup a virtual machine running windows on your linux distro and get around 95%+ performance out of it. but it only works for certain cards and leaves the host OS using the integrated graphics. 

It seems as far as gaming goes your only option is to dual boot or stick to windows at the moment. direct x12 is supposed to be windows 10 only as well.

Hopefully linux makes some break throughs soon and overall I wouldn't mind switching. 

• 1 month later...

I just installed Steam on my system, but how can I tell which of my games will work on Linux, or do I have to get new ones?

I just installed Steam on my system, but how can I tell which of my games will work on Linux, or do I have to get new ones?

Go to the store page. Close to the play button you'll see which platforms are supported.