• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Win 10 - Logon UI Fails

Nashy    1,661

Ok, I'm really starting to hate Windows 10.  Which sucks, because I actually quite like it.

However, I'm having no end of issues on my home computer with it.  I've now formatted and re-installed 4 times.

The system boots fine, I can use it normally, I install all of my stuff, and still, it's fine.  However, I come back to it hours later, and the logon screen is flashing uncontrollably, and then an error pops up:

LogonUI.exe - Application Error

The exception Breakpoint
A breakpoint has been reached.
(0x80000003) occurred in the application location
0x00007FFB32EA641B

It also does it when booting into safe mode.

I thought possibly drivers, so I updated them all, I also tried without updating them all.  Same thing.

I tried using my onboard graphics incase that was the issue, and no go.

Anyone seen this, heard of it, fixed it?

FunkyMike    1,822

I have only experienced something similar where the screen flashes in the accent colour at the loginscreen.

However something tells me that you probably do not have a switchable graphics laptop with an AMD graphics card (the bug is in the AMD driver). 

leo_the_lion    2

Have you done a fresh install of 10 or an upgrade to an existing 7/8.1 installation. If the later, did you have any customization software installed on the 7/8.1 installation?

Nashy    1,661

I thought it could have been that after number 2, but since then, the final two have been full formats and installs.

Nashy    1,661

I have only experienced something similar where the screen flashes in the accent colour at the loginscreen.

However something tells me that you probably do not have a switchable graphics laptop with an AMD graphics card (the bug is in the AMD driver). 

I see flashing between the colour, and the picture on the lock screen (not the hero login screen one).

I run nvidea and Intel onboard.  :-(

+jnelsoninjax    11,546

Have you tried to disable one of the graphic adapters, and seeing what happens? My first thought would be to remove the Nvidia card and just boot with onboard and see if that helps. It would certainly give you another troubleshooting step.

+Ryster    744

Ok, I'm really starting to hate Windows 10.

Oh come on now, don't let this turn into a Windows 10 bash  Login UI crashing is hardly a new phenomenon with Windows 10. I've seen it on all NT based versions of Windows going back through the years. Try the same fix that cures a lot of them, sfc /scannow  from an elevated command prompt (in safe mode if you cant log on normally).

Also, are you using Bitdefender antivirus by any chance? If so, it's likely the culprit.

In BitDefender, if you exclude both:
C:\Windows\system32\LogonUI.exe as a process
C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll as a file
from the scanner, this has been known to help.  Additionally, doing a repair of Bitdefender from Programs and Features in Control Panel, has also been known to work wonders.

Edited by Ryster

FunkyMike    1,822

I see flashing between the colour, and the picture on the lock screen (not the hero login screen one).

I run nvidea and Intel onboard.  :-(

But it isn't using both at the same time in an Nvidia Optimus kind of way?

If it is I would suggest trying to set the LoginUI.exe to use the Intel GPU in the Nvidia Manage3D settings.

Nashy    1,661

But it isn't using both at the same time in an Nvidia Optimus kind of way?

If it is I would suggest trying to set the LoginUI.exe to use the Intel GPU in the Nvidia Manage3D settings.

Nah, nothing fancy like that.  Simply enable/disable in BIOS.

I can't stress enough, that I cannot use the machine at all.  The login screen failure does not let me passed, and seemingly, I'm the only one on the planet with this error :-(

FunkyMike    1,822

Nah, nothing fancy like that.  Simply enable/disable in BIOS.

I can't stress enough, that I cannot use the machine at all.  The login screen failure does not let me passed, and seemingly, I'm the only one on the planet with this error :-(

jnelsoninjax had a good suggestion about removing the Nvidia card from the desktop.

It is strange that this error occurs in safe mode too.

Are there any BIOS updates that you can do? Maybe some weird powersaving states are kicking in, causing the device to spasm out. A general reset in the BIOS might help too.

Nashy    1,661

jnelsoninjax had a good suggestion about removing the Nvidia card from the desktop.

It is strange that this error occurs in safe mode too.

Are there any BIOS updates that you can do? Maybe some weird powersaving states are kicking in, causing the device to spasm out. A general reset in the BIOS might help too.

I'm sure there is probably a bios update I can do.  I've turned off all of the power saving, and gimmicky performance based things in the bios.

The safemode thing has me stumped too.  I thought for sure my drivers were stuffed, but nope, exactly the same thing in SM, just, bigger :-p

I'll try taking the card out tonight, and see if it ruins my night again or not.

FunkyMike    1,822

I'm sure there is probably a bios update I can do.  I've turned off all of the power saving, and gimmicky performance based things in the bios.

The safemode thing has me stumped too.  I thought for sure my drivers were stuffed, but nope, exactly the same thing in SM, just, bigger :-p

I'll try taking the card out tonight, and see if it ruins my night again or not.

Do a reset of the BIOS settings too after the BIOS update. There have been strange cases where this has helped.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

• Like 1

Nashy    1,661

I'll format and try again.  I tell you what though, when someone needs help with how to format and install Windows 10, I'm your man! :rofl:

(If I don't laugh I think I really would cry at this point!)

• Like 1

+Ryster    744

Hi Nashy

You missed my earlier question I think. Do you use Bitdefender as your AV by any chance?

I only ask because I came across a thread full of people back in Windows 7 all having an issue with the logon screen flashing and logonui.exe eventually crashing. Turns out it was Bitdefender killing the process, which windows then automatically restarted, then it got killed again, etc. Thus causing the flashing. The realisation they all had when they each found out everybody else in the thread also used Bitdefender was funny :)  I just wondered if this was something similar, maybe with another AV?

Regards

Pamela Côté    0

Hi!

I have exactly the same problem with the same error! I really don't know what to do now... 

It's the 5 or 6 times I reinstall Windows 10 and do a refresh and repair action in the settings! 

When I arrived on the login screen, my PC start to be crazy and flacker! Cannot pass the login screen... 

Yesterday, I thinking my computer was fine after one on my many repair actions, I login fine, I succeded to install my apps but after I restart my PC, There is an Update of Windows and after my F**ing computer (sorry i'm angry after so much tries) start doing the same thing... Cannot pass the login screen and do crazy flash...

Does someone have an idea what to do? I'm desperate!

Thank you, 

**sorry for my english I speak french usually

dead.cell    4,038

What kind of hardware are you guys running?  If both of you have the same issue, I'd be concerned with finding what you both have in common first off.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

Darrian    253

I had this problem. It started when switching from an insider build to a clean install with the iso. This only happened on my tablet, which has intel integrated graphics. I have not had this problem on my desktop with an nvidia card. I ended up going to a fresh install of 10166 and then an upgrade via iso to 10240 (WU won't pull the rtm build for "old" Insider builds apparently).  From there I discovered that changing the login picture (using a 3rd party program) makes it happen almost immediately, so I stuck to the default login background and created a restore point after I got everything installed and set up. I found that system restore can fix it,  but I didn't previously have a restore point. I still have no idea why it happens on its own, and since fixing it once with a restore point I haven't seen it again. I have kept the restore point just in case it recurs. I have also since upgraded to the latest Insider build (and created a new restore point), so it may be fixed now. I never got an error, just constant flashing until I reset it, and then more flashing. Enough reboots and repair options will appear on boot.  You cannot do a sfc /scannow because you can't log in. So no, you aren't alone and it is incredibly frustrating.

Elixio    0

Did you ever find any resolution to this?  I am experiencing exact same issues...

Specs

Acer Nitro VN7-591G-70RT, I7-4720HQ, Intel onboard graphics w/ Nvidia GTX-960M, 8GB Ram, NO BitDefender, NO Norton, it's some update that is incompatible with some driver or hardware.  I am yet to ascertain the exact cause.  Even after a reset to a safe working restore point yielded the same result.  Extremely frustrating.

gt.makhubela    0

Hi guys, I have exactly the same problem, anyone found the solution yet?? 

Darrian    253

It shouldn't be happening anymore.  If it is happening to you with a current build of Win 10 then it is probably a different issue than the one we were facing last year.