USB 2.0 controllers randomly stop working in Windows 10

I have an odd issue with Windows 10 where at random, from cold boot, one or two of my USB 2 controllers will fault with code 43 ("Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"); the problem is this is all the USB ports on the back of my desktop where my keyboard and mouse are plugged in; rebooting does not solve the issue.

The USB 3 controller still works (wired to a front port on the case) so I now have to keep a spare mouse and keyboard to hand to plug in so I can get into Windows; from there I can go to Device Manager, uninstall the controller(s) which have warning triangles next to them, scan for hardware changes, and as if by magic the controllers and the attached peripherals are detected again with no issues or requesting for drivers etc.

This is a daily thing and I'm getting a little tired of it; this is a clean Windows 10 install (when I upgraded from Win 8.1 > 10, this problem did not exist, though I had other issues relating to the machine and graphics not sleeping at all which are now fixed after clean install). I have checked the controllers to see if there are driver updates, but it says it's using the latest drivers. The really odd thing is sometimes it's just one of the controllers that stops working, despite them both being the same type of controller, on the odd occasion neither will fail and I will get into Windows just fine with them working.

Below is device manager when just one of them fails:

Capture.thumb.PNG.471e8eee7a13b5411cb5f1

Here's the properties for that failed device:

DriverProps.thumb.PNG.a667e629763b6f9fd5

Here's a side-by-side of the failed and working controller, with the left pane being the failed controller:

versus.thumb.PNG.014f8365b1b44230a1715cb

I'm running an ASUS Rampage IV Gene X79 board, all the drivers are auto-installed by Windows as was the case with Win8 and Win 7 (both of which never had any issues), on Win 10 x64 Pro with all latest updates installed.

Yes; I've tried the official drivers from Asus and it makes no difference; the driver versions are actually different by .3 of a version or something, with the Asus drivers being older than the drivers provided by Windows. I still get the random pattern of USB controllers stopping on boot, however.

Check your BIOS/UEFI's power saving options then turn off power management for the devices under Windows.

Guys,

I have run the Intel utility already and it says "No drivers were detected for your product" which doesn't seem surprising because that utility allows you to manually select a board... they're all Intel boards listed, not other manufacturer's boards integrating Intel chips.

For sleep, I've already set USB suspend to disabled.

In the EFI BIOS power saving mode is disabled entirely.

So are those intel drivers marked as being for Windows 10 or are they the older Windows 8.1 drivers?   I wonder if it's a specific issue with a specific intel USB chip and Windows 10, or something else with your hardware setup?

I do not experience any of this with my x79 board (Rampage IV Extreme) nor my x99 Board.

Here are the drivers I am using, give them a shot

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=1703
Intel Chipset Device Software Version 10.1.2.10 WHQL

Maybe the reason I haven't had these issues is because I am running these drivers, they are only a day old but I noticed the changelog states: Release note: Fix issues on USB controller devices 8D2D and 8D26 for Intel®   C610 series/X99 chipset.
I know it doesn't mention x79, but maybe it will fix your issue.

• Like 1

I do not experience any of this with my x79 board (Rampage IV Extreme) nor my x99 Board.

Here are the drivers I am using, give them a shot

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=1703
Intel Chipset Device Software Version 10.1.2.10 WHQL

Maybe the reason I haven't had these issues is because I am running these drivers, they are only a day old but I noticed the changelog states: Release note: Fix issues on USB controller devices 8D2D and 8D26 for Intel®   C610 series/X99 chipset.
I know it doesn't mention x79, but maybe it will fix your issue.

Okay I downloaded the drivers linked to, and I don't want to speak too soon but so far I have not had the issue repeat again; I must have rebooted at least a dozen times since to see if the issue returned. So thanks Circaflex; looks like that did the trick! (Y)

By the way - is there not a more official place to get those drivers from? station-drivers.com got my AV to throw a blocked malware alert when I visited; surely if they're Intel drivers I should be able to get them from Intel, but I can't see where...

Okay I downloaded the drivers linked to, and I don't want to speak too soon but so far I have not had the issue repeat again; I must have rebooted at least a dozen times since to see if the issue returned. So thanks Circaflex; looks like that did the trick! (Y)

By the way - is there not a more official place to get those drivers from? station-drivers.com got my AV to throw a blocked malware alert when I visited; surely if they're Intel drivers I should be able to get them from Intel, but I can't see where...

HAHA I feel ya man, I never used them before but they are popular. I belive they will make it to intel.com soon, but I think what happens is these are made for new motherboards or new products and people upload those to station driver before intel uploads them for everyone. For instance I know asus has a few newer drivers listed on their site compared to intel, I think the OEMs work with them and get newly updated drivers and those are what end up on station drivers.