Divinity: Original Sin 2

Kickstarter is now live!

• Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a single- and multiplayer top-down, party-based role-playing game with pen & paper RPG-like levels of freedom.It features turn-based combat, a strong focus on systematic gameplay and a well-grounded narrative
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the sequel to the critically acclaimed Divinity: Original Sin, winner of over 150 Game of the Year awards and nominations. Winner of GameSpot’s “PC Game of The Year 2014”.
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 is currently in development for PC in English. Subtitles will be available in German, French, and Russian. Other platforms and languages may be announced at a later stage, once development is more advanced. 

People can say whatever they want about kickstarter and indie gaming but if kickstarter is what we need to have games like Shadowrun, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity, Bloodstained and such then so be it.

I love those type of games so much and we went for so many years without having any of those before kickstarter and the indie movement happened.

I just wish Beamdog/OG would get the right to do Baldur's Gate 3 and would kickstarter it. They did a very fine job with the new npc in the enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate and Oster/Tofer are probably the closest thing we have to Bioware right now in the industry (Bioware itself is not really Bioware anymore).

And here I was only looking forward to the enhanced edition of the first Origin Sin. This is awesome to see.

Already:

$295,676

pledged of $500,000 goal

Gonna assume they're gonna have it funded before the first day is over. :woot:

And here I was only looking forward to the enhanced edition of the first Origin Sin. This is awesome to see.

Already:

$295,676

pledged of $500,000 goal

Gonna assume they're gonna have it funded before the first day is over. :woot:

The first one got $944,282 of $400,000 so I hope this one breaks a million.  They deserve it after the amazing work they did on the first (Especially giving the Enhanced Edition for free to backers).  Really I don't understand why companies who have successfully delivered a kickstarter game set the target below what they got the first time.  I mean if they could make over $900k on the original, and the original is well liked, they should be able to get at least that much for the sequel... if they can't then maybe they shouldn't be making a sequel.

In this games case specifically though I think they should have waited for the console version to launch to start this Kickstarter.  Then they would have had potential backers from both console and PC instead of just PC.

Probably because between sales of the first original sin and the kickstarter they don't need that much. 

These days kickstarter is used more and more as a way to gauge interest to get financing. Some people consider it a bad practice. But i personally think it's just fine. It's not like the people who back the projects get nothing they get a game for a few bucks. Usually it cost between 20 and 30 to "buy" a game by backing a kickstarter campaign. It's a fair deal i think. Like all investment there's a risk (game can be bad) but there's also a potential return. If the game turns out to be good you have it for a few bucks and the campaign helps adding content to the game.

They probably already have enough financing (internally and/or externally) to make the game without kickstarter. But some people behind the financing probably want some sort of "proof" that gamers are interested in a sequel. Usually the goal of the campaign is set by the people financing the game. If those people feel that with a goal of 400 000 the risk to finance the game will be acceptable then it's what the goal is.

It was the same for Bloodtsained. There's no way making Bloodstained with only the initial goal (500 000) was realistic. I think Iga said there's was other financing but they required a kickstarter campaign to gauge interest first. When the kickstareter campaign gets lot more than the initial goal then they just have more money to spend on development to make the game better.

I think these days very few games are totally made using kickstarter financing. It's just part of it and more often than never used to gauge interest and add features beyond what traditional financing deem necessary.

I understand (and don't mind one bit) that many kickstarters are used to gauge interest.

My point is that if company A has a kickstarter for game B that raises X money.  Goes on to successfully release game B and decides to make a sequel.  If the sequel can't raise more money than X then maybe there isn't enough interest to merit a sequel.  Purely in the context of gauging interest it's a bad sign if you can't even get the same amount of money as the prior game.  As such it would make more sense to me, even just for gauging interest to set your sequels initial target to around what the prior game got.  In the case of Divinity: Original Sin they got $944,282 so I would have set the goal for $1,000,000... maybe $900,000 but $500,000 seems low.  Let's say they just make $500,000... that means their new game just did a little over HALF what the original did... that doesn't seem good to me at all.

I agree with you but people working in finance are weird beast ;)

I doubt (might be wrong) the goal was set by the developer. 400 000 really ain't much when it comes to making a game like Divinity.

Hrmm I guess its too early to judge but story doesn't sound that captivating. I think its pretty hard to top the awesomeness of the first one and the Void Dragon.

Either way they've past their goal already and given you can pledge $25 and secure a copy of the game funding through this mechanism is pretty sweet and as others have said has already led to some great games so far. 

• 2 years later...

So it's out... and I'm loving it.

Doing my first run-through on Explorer mode so I can focus on the story, exploring, etc.

Just like the first one, I'm doing a Lone Wolf run and using Fane.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...