Is it okay to give someone your gamertag when you sell your xbox?

I'm just wondering if it's fine if I can just give my Gamertag to someone so they can have the games that are downloaded on my console when I sell it online. Is there anything they can do with it or is it fine to just give to anybody? Thanks.

Well the GT is linked to your Live account right? Which means for them to be able to access that account (if they wanted it) You would need to give them access to that email account and it's password. This may or may not be then linked to bank accounts etc and other personal data. The only reason I could see someone wanting to keep you GT is if you had bought Digital games, however this then circles back to bank details.

I don't think it's a good idea at all to let them.

I'm just wondering if it's fine if I can just give my Gamertag to someone so they can have the games that are downloaded on my console when I sell it online. Is there anything they can do with it or is it fine to just give to anybody? Thanks.

I think it's fine to give it away if you want to and don't want it anymore but you have to make sure you remove any info and credit card info and other stuff from your account before you do.   Your Xbox Live account is pretty much your MS Account so you'll have to unlink that account from anything personal, which is possible to do but I'd say it's a pain.   Did you use it just for Xbox Live and is it using an email address that's important to you in some way?  If it is then it makes it hard to give away and probably not worth it or a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't do it! I'm pretty sure downloaded (bought and paid for) games will always work on the console they were downloaded on, regardless of gamertag. This is so friends and family members can play it. You should absolutely move (it won't let you copy) the gamertag. Everything else you can just copy. Let the new owner worry about housekeeping. Then do a license transfer on your new Xbox. It's been years since I've done one, so I won't say any more. I'm sure some of the fine folks here can help with that.

Besides the privacy concerns already covered, it is against the Code of Conduct to buy and sell XBL accounts. If found out, the account will be banned pernamently.

This, it is definitely outside of the license agreements to transfer an account. That comes before the massive privacy concerns involved... so no.

You could always transfer the gamertag to a new Microsoft account using an Xbox 360. That way you are only transferring the gamertag and any credit on the account, nothing else which might be personal, such as email's.