10 Ad Blocking Extensions Tested for Best Performance

The overall winner in Firefox is simply the quickest, and that was µBlock origin. µ AdBlock is a fair choice if you want an easy to use but fast blocker, the rest are almost identical so it’s down to personal preference and the options available as to which one you use.

The winner in Chrome is a closer call when you consider the results from all three tests. But as it got a couple of firsts and a second, we would say µBlock Origin is the definite winner, it truly is fast and efficient as the author claims. Both Ghostery and Adguard are still excellent choices and are viable alternatives to µBlock Origin providing good performance in all 3 categories.

top 3 ad blockers combined

If you disable acceptable ads, Adblock Plus goes from being dead last to a blocker that performs similar to the rest. It’s worth pointing out AdBlock and it’s forked versions all suffer with higher CPU and memory usage, for that reason we would recommend something else if you have a low end system.

Read More: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/10-ad-blocking-extensions-tested-for-best-performance/view-all/

µBlock Origin (in Firefox) for the win!

I switched over to adguard for universal support in all browsers (I don't use the extension). I highly recommend, and you can get it via the Neowin store. Use it on Android as well.

Another option is a secure gateway/proxy server

Advantages

• No software to install so it will work on anything with a browser like smartphones and smart tvs
  • The blocklist is centralized in one location for easy management
  • Cert validation & virus scanning can be done here before traffic ever reaches the client pcs.

µBlock Origin (in Firefox) for the win!

there is uBlock Origin OR µBlock .   not "µBlock Origin" ... confusing....

EDIT:

just looked into to it, and it seems that ublock origin is newest fork done by the creator of µBlock

i guess i should switch (i am using µBlock on firefox now)

I moved to uBlock Origin a while back and have been happy with it. ABP has become too commercial and companies have been buying it off to get around it.

Another option is a secure gateway/proxy server

Advantages

• No software to install so it will work on anything with a browser like smartphones and smart tvs
  • The blocklist is centralized in one location for easy management
  • Cert validation & virus scanning can be done here before traffic ever reaches the client pcs.

I suppose a secure gateway/proxy server is an option if not overkill for a home setup... Your first two reasons don't really seem to be actual advantages over using an ad blocker.

Yes, I needed to install µBlock Origin the first time which was about 2 minutes of my time which included configuring it. Firefox sync installed that to my other PC, phone, and tablet automatically over three different operating systems total. The updates and blocklists are maintained automatically, of course. Setting your own server up is great if want/need total control but my time is worth something and saying there is no "software" to install or it's "easy" compared to using an ad-blocking is kinda ridiculous.

Edited by oldtimefighter

there is uBlock Origin OR µBlock .   not "µBlock Origin" ... confusing....

EDIT:

just looked into to it, and it seems that ublock origin is newest fork done by the creator of µBlock

i guess i should switch (i am using µBlock on firefox now)

The short and quick story... µBlock Origin (formally µBlock) is the original program by the original maintainer (he just gave up the name). The new µBlock is the fork. The µ is just a fancy u...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBlock

Edited by oldtimefighter

One not mentioned, probably because it's not "strictly" an adblocker -- uMatrix.. It allows you to block types of content by domain for any domain.