Apple Laptop for Development

....Who gives a rats ass about market share. You spend your time learning technologies based on your job. Yeah lemme spend days and nights learning Linux, and never using a single thing I learnt in my job. Real productive...

But whatever, sounds like he wants to be jack of all trades, good luck wearing a number of hats at work. Hope your pay check reflects that!

My job? We deal with more Linux distros, than Windows. We only have a handful of Windows machines. I'm leaning towards security, Hardware/Software side, and going further. I think Linux is more secure than Windows could dream of. :p

You seem to have very little to say in a positive way. I've ignored it for awhile, but you seem to be stuck in your way, it's your way or the highway. My work won't pay for this because I'm a contractor. I'm quite fine paying for things like this. I have a couple servers already in my garage, they work fine. My ESX server will be a standard desktop with a beefy processor, and loads of memory. BudMan has helped me figure out exactly whats needed for it, and how to make use of it without killing the wallet. I think the cheapest I can build one for was $650 with S&H.

@ Mike; I was thinking of grabbing a 15". I'd prefer a 17" or so, but cost wise, I don't think it's wise. My Windows laptop will be 17", since a good portion of my time would be spent on it.

My job? We deal with more Linux distros, than Windows. We only have a handful of Windows machines. I'm leaning towards security, Hardware/Software side, and going further. I think Linux is more secure than Windows could dream of. :p

You seem to have very little to say in a positive way. I've ignored it for awhile, but you seem to be stuck in your way, it's your way or the highway. My work won't pay for this because I'm a contractor. I'm quite fine paying for things like this. I have a couple servers already in my garage, they work fine. My ESX server will be a standard desktop with a beefy processor, and loads of memory. BudMan has helped me figure out exactly whats needed for it, and how to make use of it without killing the wallet. I think the cheapest I can build one for was $650 with S&H.

@ Mike; I was thinking of grabbing a 15". I'd prefer a 17" or so, but cost wise, I don't think it's wise. My Windows laptop will be 17", since a good portion of my time would be spent on it.

A certain amount of personal experience and opinion is to be expected among the wide variety of people at Neowin.

Jared has his point of view but is still taking some time to provide information that has the potential to help somebody else that reads this, if it turns out that he doesn't give you any thoughts in this case that help to inform your decisions.

You have dribbled out information at a very slow rate during the course of this thread and so should expect a lot of the comments to be quite far removed from what might directly concern you.

But we are all volunteering thoughts out of the goodness of our hearts to create a kind of chance meeting at the local pub with just the right group of people to discuss stuff on your mind. It is a joyous result of the internet age and difference of opinion should be celebrated as an opportunity to pause for a moment and consider your assumptions before most likely saying "nope, I'm sure about that one"

So, we now know your hardware needs a strong emphasis on Linux due to your current work situation. That might lead to useful ideas or maybe not. Let's calmly see how it goes.

And just calmly saying that security is a complex issue that most organizations with all the huge public breaches get very wrong IMO due to over-emphasis on the perimeter which comes from humans not thinking like a computer does but instead they see a Medieval castle as their image of keeping out the "enemy" - Within the complexity of various technical and social models, there is no difference between the inherent ability of a Windows Server or a Linux server to provide a security infrastructure. And even thinking in that manner leads back to the castle again that needs defending to "protect" the inside. Right now, Sony would be just fine, a well known dating site would be just fine, people wouldn't have committed suicide if the people leaking information had nothing but tons of encrypted files. Forget firewalls etc. Take my stupid files. Now try to do anything with them!

• Like 2

Well nowhere did you say that your role involves Linux. But you get the general points I'm trying to make yeah? Focus on your expertise...

Anyways, guess i can't help anymore.