In-wall speakers in pre-wired home

My home was pre-wired for 5.1 surround, which I would like to put some in-wall speakers in, but I'm kind of confused on how this will work.

I've attached a photo from when the house was just framed so you can visualize this easier. You're looking at the center channel up top (cropped the others out).

So, they've put these outlet boxes in right on the studs where the wires are coming up through. How do I deal with this with in-wall speakers? do I have to remove these boxes somehow? I've also read that in-walls don't do great right up on the stud? In my case that's where all of these are.

Thanks for any help here. I just haven't been able to wrap my head around this.

great_room_4-surround.jpg

Edited by scumdogmillionaire

What make / model of speakers will you be installing?

I presume you don't really want to redecorate the walls, but the speakers should really be placed according to your seating arrangements, so if there is anything in the way (including a stud) of a speakers perfect placement, it's time to remove a portion of that stud. They are not load bearing, so it's fine.

So without knowing the size and shape of the speakers and the location of the studs in relation to your seating, it's a bit hard to say what you should do.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't decided on speakers yet because I wasn't really sure what needed to happen.

The TV is 70" and you can see the plates where the speaker boxes are.

We haven't decorated much there yet, it's a 20+ foot wall so nothing there other than the TV at the moment. Attached a picture. Any recommendations on speakers or shapes would be appreciated, too :)

WP_20150830_18_37_35_Pro.jpg

Edited by scumdogmillionaire

My brother does Home Theater installations.  I worked with him a few times, they are not hard to install, just need to figure out what side of the stud the wires go at right?  As for sound, there are really good speakers out there that sound great in wall.

PS: I don't understand what those boxes are for.  Why are they even there in the first place?  Are they just placeholders for speakers?  Because it looks like speaker wires are bundled up in them.

Edited by Juguard

My brother does Home Theater installations.  I worked with him a few times, they are not hard to install, just need to figure out what side of the stud the wires go at right?  As for sound, there are really good speakers out there that sound great in wall.

PS: I don't understand what those boxes are for.  Why are they even there in the first place?  Are they just placeholders for speakers?  Because it looks like speaker wires are bundled up in them.

Yeah, the wires are just shoved up in the boxes. They're not easily removable I wouldn't think, they're nailed in in several placed and would be difficult to get at without removing a large portion of the drywall.

• 4 weeks later...

They assumed you were adding external, not in wall speakers.  So instead of running the wires out, you would just keep them in-wall to the new speakers. (Prob want to gut them and mount the speakers in their place anyway - you may need room for enclosures as well)

• 3 years later...

@scumdogmillionaire - I know this topic is 4 years old, but I have the same problem as you and am trying to install the in-wall speakers. What did you finally do? How did you install the inwall speakers?