DD Gone Wrong?

I tried this with both Arch and ArchBang, no difference. I want to write the iso file to my 4GB pen drive. So I type:

david@david-desktop ~ $ sudo dd if=/dev/sdc of=/home/david/Downloads/archlinux.iso bs=8MB

Where sdc is the usb pen drive. I wait for it to write to the drive. I get this:

501+1 records in
501+1 records out
4009754624 bytes (4.0 GB) copied, 230.871 s, 17.4 MB/s

That looks about right, no? Instead, this is what I see in the USB drive.

Ndi4plV.png

Am I doing something wrong or something? Frankly I tried Ubootin, too, and that was a disaster as well. Help?

Edited by Mindovermaster

I tried this with both Arch and ArchBang, no difference. I want to write the iso file to my 4GB pen drive. So I type:

david@david-desktop ~ $ sudo dd if=/dev/sdc of=/home/david/Downloads/archlinux.iso bs=8MB

Where sdc is the usb pen drive. I wait for it to write to the drive. I get this:

501+1 records in
501+1 records out
4009754624 bytes (4.0 GB) copied, 230.871 s, 17.4 MB/s

That looks about right, no? Instead, this is what I see in the USB drive.

Ndi4plV.png

Am I doing something wrong or something? Frankly I tried Ubootin, too, and that was a disaster as well. Help?

with regards to dd

if = input of = output

so to write to the usb stick from an ISO

sudo dd of=/dev/sdc if=/path_to_iso

I doubt you would need the bs parameter either, but im not an expert...

from what you have said, I think you have overwritten the ISO with the contents of your USB stick already...

sudo dd if=/home/david/Downloads/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4M; sync   <- That's how I do it and funny enough that's the exact command I ran last night to switch to Gnome 3.16.

[...]

As already pointed out, but to make it perfectly clear, you've got your input and output devices the wrong way around! The 'if' argument is for input and the 'of' argument is for output. You've overwritten the iso file with the existing contents of the usb pen drive. You're going to need to download a new copy of that iso and try again (with things the correct way around this time!).