There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

PS4 gets a new, lower price starting Friday: $349,99

Since the launch of PS4, we have been thrilled with the amount of gamers jumping into the world of PlayStation for the first time. If you haven’t made the jump yet, and you’re starting early on your holiday wish list, I have good news – we’re dropping the price of the PlayStation 4 system in the U.S. and Canada. Starting tomorrow, October 9, you’ll be able to pick up PS4 starting at the new price of $349.99 USD / $429.99 CAD (MSRP). Our goal at PlayStation has always been to provide the best gameplay experiences at the best value, and we feel this new compelling price will open the doors to even more gamers that have yet to purchase a system.

Over the past few months, we’ve introduced a number of bundles that feature some of the biggest games coming to PS4 this holiday season. Here’s a snapshot of the new prices for the current PS4 hardware lineup:

pricessfkog.png

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/10/08/ps4-big-holiday-lineup-lower-cost/

• Like 2

That Uncharted deal looks pretty sweet for the Xbox360 -> PS4 crowd.

It seems odd to me for them to be cutting prices now... don't the big sales and price cuts usually start around Thanksgiving... does this replace that or are they going to cut them even further on Black Friday/Cyber Monday as well?!?

That Uncharted deal looks pretty sweet for the Xbox360 -> PS4 crowd.

It seems odd to me for them to be cutting prices now... don't the big sales and price cuts usually start around Thanksgiving... does this replace that or are they going to cut them even further on Black Friday/Cyber Monday as well?!?

Those are usually done by the stores themselves.  This is lowering MSRP.  The first PS3 price drop came during/after E3.

Those are usually done by the stores themselves.  This is lowering MSRP.  The first PS3 price drop came during/after E3.

I don't believe stores have flexibility in console pricing.  That's why pretty much everyone sells them for the exact same price.  If the store is running a sale it's almost certainly with the permission or at the direction of the platform holder.  Also E3 is usually around June or so is it not?  So it's nowhere near another big sales period, there's nothing strange about that.  I didn't mean to suggest they ONLY cut prices around Thanksgiving.  But If they ARE going to run a bunch of sales and stuff around Thanksgiving, as they typically do, then it seems odd to do a separate cut just a month or so before that.  Granted the Thanksgiving ones are usually temporary and this is permanent.  Again not saying it's crazy or stupid or anything, just seems a bit odd to me.  Maybe it's just me though.

I don't believe stores have flexibility in console pricing.  That's why pretty much everyone sells them for the exact same price.  If the store is running a sale it's almost certainly with the permission or at the direction of the platform holder.  Also E3 is usually around June or so is it not?  So it's nowhere near another big sales period, there's nothing strange about that.  I didn't mean to suggest they ONLY cut prices around Thanksgiving.  But If they ARE going to run a bunch of sales and stuff around Thanksgiving, as they typically do, then it seems odd to do a separate cut just a month or so before that.  Granted the Thanksgiving ones are usually temporary and this is permanent.  Again not saying it's crazy or stupid or anything, just seems a bit odd to me.  Maybe it's just me though.

X1 officially dropped price in June as well.  Sony did what they could, but with a lack of exclusives this holiday (despite the marketing deals with Activision (Destiny & BLOPS3), AC, and Battlefield, there's no exclusive to go head to head with Halo -- couple that with Win10 and Sony couldn't rest on laurels as more expensive.

As far as Sony, looking back to last gen most of their price drops came in Sept / Oct.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Price_cuts#PlayStation_3

Plus, outside of maybe a day or two (Black Friday, etc.), you won't see consoles themselves for less, you'll see more stuff thrown in (an extra game or two in addition to the bundled game, or a year of PS+/XBLG, or an extra controller).

Edited by soniqstylz

• 2 weeks later...