There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Is it worth buying a PS4 just for The Last of Us ?

In all honesty, i doubt it'll just be for that one game. If it was, then i'd say no, because you'd effectively be paying near the £500 mark for a game.

The PS4 is way more than just that, so if that game sparks your interest, then might be worth picking one up.

The PS4 is an excellent console. I personally wouldn't recommend a console for one title, but if there are other titles you will play as well, why not?

The real questions are how much to you want to play The Last of Us and can you wait until Black Friday?

Is it worth buying "The Last of Us"? Yes.

Is it worth buying a PS4 if you've already played "The Last of Us" on the PS3? No.

Is it worth buying a PS4 so that you can play "The Last of Us" as well as other games that are exclusive to Playstation? Not sure/personal preference.

I'm going to get a PS4 for several games. "The Last of Us" isn't a selling point for me because I already played it on the PS3, and it's the story that's worth playing for, not the graphics.

OP - can you tell us if you've already played the game or not? if you've already played it then, no, it's not worth buying a PS4.

I love the PS4. Already so many great games. You can always find a Sony Refurb or some special deal. i've seen new bundles for $300USD already.

OP - can you tell us if you've already played the game or not? if you've already played it then, no, it's not worth buying a PS4.

I love the PS4. Already so many great games. You can always find a Sony Refurb or some special deal. i've seen new bundles for $300USD already.

No I haven't played the game yet just seen YouTube footage.

I would say no.

First because I didn't even like the game, rofl.  But that's just because I'm not a fan of the genre in general not anything wrong with the game itself.

Really though it's odd to buy a current-gen system for a single game, especially a remaster of a last-gen game.  If you already have a PS3 then just get it for that.  The graphics are worse but it's essentially the same game.  If you don't have either and you really just want to play that one game it would still be cheaper to grab a PS3 and the PS3 version.  Heck i don't know if it's on PS Now but your TV or something might be able to play it without buying a console at all if you can rent it from there.

I like my PS4, I'm very happy with it but if you really don't want it for anything but one game then I'd at least make sure it's a game that only runs on that system and not a remake of a prior-gen game.

I need to agree with the others on this. I'm all for playing a game yourself, but something that is all about the storyline needs to be done one of two ways - play it or watch it. If you're already watching the story, all you're missing is the somewhat heart-pounding moments where you need to decide if now is the time to move or not. The story doesn't change, and that's the reason to play the game (in my mind, at least.) A similar - yet different - example would be Spec Ops: The Line.

• Like 1

The Last of Us is one of the best stories in gaming. TLoU > Uncharted as well. It plays so much better in 60FPS. Considering every purchase of a PS4 in America comes with a TLoU download code you'll get it thrown in. Very unlikely you'll only ever play TLoU once you own a PS4.

The real question is can you afford the disposable cash on a PS4. If so and you want to play it go ahead. It's a crime not to have played TLoU (looking at you Andy), but nothing is worth paying for if it's possible your money could be better used elsewhere.

• Like 1

I would not buy a PS4 just to play The Last of Us. Now if you are excited about playing the game as well as other games, then yes. But not for that one game. It's a good game, but not worth buying a console for.

IMHO, a game console may not be worth it for just one game, generally speaking.

That being said I jumped on the PS1 because of Final Fantasy 7 back in the day.

It's an amazing game, as long as you have other games in the pipeline to get / waiting for, then yes, maybe?

I would say Yes, and my line of reasoning is going to be slightly different than others.
I will agree that purchasing a console to play just one game is not the best of ideas, but let's face it, once you have the console for that one game, you then have it for all the other games on that console.
So if you need to convince yourself it is worth purchasing the console to play that one game as a gateway to play the other games it can offer, I say do it.
If for some reason you only plan to play TLOU and nothing else, then no. It is not a good idea to purchase any console for one singular game, no matter how good the game may be.

you do realise that it is available on the ps3 don't you? You can buy a 2nd hand ps3 for about 1/4 of the price of a new ps4. You could even sell it on after completing the game and lose very little money. I think the last of us 2 is being created btw. If you waited you could get a ps4 slim with the last of us 1+2 as a bundle.

What kind of replay valve does single player have ?

Not much. I do know plenty of people that have replayed it especially since the harder difficulties do change the game quite a bit, but the core game itself is not such that there is much incentive for playing it again. So I would say it really depends on how much you like the game itself. I know a few people who beat the game then went back and played the Grounded mode, as they said that was the "real" experience. It is not a game that is designed to be played multiple times, but plenty of people have played it multiple times. All just depends on how much you personally like it.

As an example I am currently playing the Uncharted Collection on the PS4. I have already played all of the Uncharted games, but I really enjoy them and I am also appreciating the effort that went into the remaster and having each game at 1080p and 60 FPS is enjoyable. With that said I would not say the Uncharted games were designed in such a way that they reward multiple play throughs, but I liked the games so much I am cool with playing it again.

Not much. I do know plenty of people that have replayed it especially since the harder difficulties do change the game quite a bit, but the core game itself is not such that there is much incentive for playing it again. So I would say it really depends on how much you like the game itself. I know a few people who beat the game then went back and played the Grounded mode, as they said that was the "real" experience. It is not a game that is designed to be played multiple times, but plenty of people have played it multiple times. All just depends on how much you personally like it.

As an example I am currently playing the Uncharted Collection on the PS4. I have already played all of the Uncharted games, but I really enjoy them and I am also appreciating the effort that went into the remaster and having each game at 1080p and 60 FPS is enjoyable. With that said I would not say the Uncharted games were designed in such a way that they reward multiple play throughs, but I liked the games so much I am cool with playing it again.

Yeah that is the incentive in a nutshell for replaying these games. When the HD remasters came about it gave enough to the experience to play it at 1080/60, otherwise they are linear narratives most will just play once (I played TLoU twice but once on PS3, once on PS4). Undoubtedly if you've never played Uncharted or TLoU having your first playthrough on the PS4 is just the icing on top to experience at 60FPS.