Chrome or Firefox?

I switched over to Firefox a few months ago because Chrome was such a memory/RAM hog. Is this still the case now after the updates?

Should I still be using Firefox or should I switch back to Chrome?

Memory improvements are on going efforts and it will take time for the browser to use the memory reasonable.
Chrome is working on several memory reduction projects, to get the idea about the latest state of the improvements, I recommend you using "Chrome Canary Channel" for a while to foresee, whether it has any major improvement or not.

Chrome Canary on WEDNESDAY is shipped with Project Oilpan enabled, test it and you can get idea of the future memory reduction from one of such projects in Chrome.

Not sure why you think Chrome is a memory hog unless you have a huge amount of extensions loaded.

Here is mine:

The Firefox I installed fresh and added no extensions or anything for that matter. I'm not saying one is better than the other but Chrome doesn't hog my memory anymore than FF.

When you add up the modules for Chrome I get roughly 274 MB and that's with about 6 extensions installed and two tabs open in Chrome. FF is 286MB.... About the same.

firefox_mem_usage.jpg

Chrome works very well for me , pretty much all aspects of it. But, it doesn't work for everyone and that's understandable. I think it's a matter of personal preference and hardware a person has.

I changed over to firefox from chrome after version 17, few years now due to the fact that the font redering on chrome is rubbish. I hope they improve this aspect soon.

I changed over to firefox from chrome after version 17, few years now due to the fact that the font rendering on chrome is rubbish. I hope they improve this aspect soon.

Chrome is now using DirectWrite based hardware accelerated rendering.

Switch to Firefox when the finally get their multi-process model out of the ######## door. Also ensure that Firefox supports 64-bit first, because as a single process executable it will crash when it reaches ~3 GB RAM.