Star Trek Beyond

Up to $113 million in the US,  after Suicide Squad opens on the 5th, looking at the rest of the month, there's pretty much nothing big name come, at least that I know of.   Should give beyond some room to breath and bring in a steady flow of money, still think paramount picked a bad release window.

I got around to watching it, want to see it again, heck probably more.    This one was closer to old trek as you can get while not losing the general non-trek loving audience.   I think once you get them a bit more used to it then you push it a bit more, but so far I'd say this has a good balance.

There's new races, exploring, it's very character driven, the chemistry between the crew is almost to the level of the original, you see it getting there with each movie really.    

Spoiler

I teared up when they showed the old crew picture from Star Trek 6, very nice touch.

All in all, i'm looking forward to what more they do in movie 4, specially when we're suppose to be back out there, in deep space, still got 2 years left on that 5 year mission!

Saw this last night.  Was apprehensive because I for one liked what J had done.  I love old Trek, but treat this as something new and different - I won't pander to any claims of "ruining my trek".  Also, Justin Lin's previous history has not made me overly excited.  The trailer I felt was an absolute mess.

But I was wrong.  The Enterprise as a ship started making more sense.  The characters suddenly found a camaraderie that didn't feel forced.  The universe felt like it was expanding in a way that made sense.  It was the better parts of new-Trek with enough old-Trek injected to make it feel like "home".

OK, it had it's faults.  The battle up on the top of the tower in the Franklin was a bit meh.  The use of the music, while explained, was a bit silly - but it made a nice fun setpiece.  Idris Elba was wasted as a basically one dimensional villain in prosthetic.

But overall?  I genuinely enjoyed it and feel it moved the franchise into very much the right direction.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nik Louch said:

Saw this last night.  Was apprehensive because I for one liked what J had done.  I love old Trek, but treat this as something new and different - I won't pander to any claims of "ruining my trek".  Also, Justin Lin's previous history has not made me overly excited.  The trailer I felt was an absolute mess.

But I was wrong.  The Enterprise as a ship started making more sense.  The characters suddenly found a camaraderie that didn't feel forced.  The universe felt like it was expanding in a way that made sense.  It was the better parts of new-Trek with enough old-Trek injected to make it feel like "home".

OK, it had it's faults.  The battle up on the top of the tower in the Franklin was a bit meh.  The use of the music, while explained, was a bit silly - but it made a nice fun setpiece.  Idris Elba was wasted as a basically one dimensional villain in prosthetic.

But overall?  I genuinely enjoyed it and feel it moved the franchise into very much the right direction.

I'm with you, it wasn't perfect but it was a great step up and in the right direction for the series, it's a shame that it opened at the box office the time it did, it would be making way more money than it has IMO.   Still, I can't wait to see where they take us with the 4th movie.   I know they're back into their mission, so we should get yet more new places and aliens, I hope the 4th shows more of Kirks tactical/strategic side, that's the only thing I feel is missing from this compared to OG Trek.     

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, George P said:

I'm with you, it wasn't perfect but it was a great step up and in the right direction for the series, it's a shame that it opened at the box office the time it did, it would be making way more money than it has IMO.   Still, I can't wait to see where they take us with the 4th movie.   I know they're back into their mission, so we should get yet more new places and aliens, I hope the 4th shows more of Kirks tactical/strategic side, that's the only thing I feel is missing from this compared to OG Trek.     

Thats a really good point!