Sony FY2015 Q2: PS4 shipment 4 million, cumulative sell in at 29.3 million

NHncGcj.jpg?1

PS4.jpg

As of September 30th, Sony have shipped 29.3 million PS4 units

Sony Corp. returned to profitability in the fiscal second quarter after its “Hotel Transylvania 2” film set a box-office weekend record and President Kazuo Hirai’s focus on video games and image sensors bore fruit.

Sony’s fourth straight profit beat shows Hirai’s progress in reviving a company that has cut thousands of jobs to pivot away from phones and TVs. Sony, which posted losses in six of the past seven years, maintained its outlook for annual operating income of 320 billion yen in the year ending March 2016, the largest full-year profit in two decades. The company is now boosting investment in image sensors, expanding the PlayStation 4’s media offerings and introducing a virtual-reality headset.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-29/sony-returns-profit-in-second-quarter-as-revival-takes-hold 

• Like 2

So now sony at 29.3 million PS4 sales and microsoft at 14 million Xbox One. Thats a huge margin.

with the price cut the sales is going to huge this holiday season.

its funny that microsft stopped publishing xbox sales on quaterly revenue. they must be really low

Few posts below :p

Sorry, missed that. (Mods please merge)

So now sony at 29.3 million PS4 sales and microsoft at 14 million Xbox One. Thats a huge margin.

with the price cut the sales is going to huge this holiday season.

its funny that microsft stopped publishing xbox sales on quaterly revenue. they must be really low

I'm not sure that 14 million number is accurate.  I've heard 15 and the fact is people don't really know because MS lumps Xbox One sales in with other stuff so you can't get accurate numbers.  They do that because they ARE significantly lower than the PS4.  I'm fairly certain the Xbox One will outsell the PS4 in November and December though in the U.S., they did last year and with the backwards compatibility update coming and a better first party line-up for the holidays I think they'll do fine.  They may even win October this year.  They'll almost certainly lose worldwide though and after the holiday sales as things settle down again I suspect PS4 will once again retake the lead in month to month U.S. sales (just like last year).

MS is so far behind I seriously doubt they'll ever catch up in total sales but they don't need to.  The Xbox One is outselling the Xbox 360 at the same point in it's life so they'll do just fine as a solid #2.  The PS4 is competing more with history at this point.  Right now it's outselling the all previous PlayStations (at similar points in their lifecycle) including the PS2 which is the all time console sales leader. (The Wii is beating it but it had a very front loaded sales record).  According to wikipedia the PS4 with 29.3 million sales is already the 11th highest selling home console of all time.  By the end of the year it will almost certainly pass the N64 and Atari 2600 to move up to #9. (It needs less than 4 million to do that).  By the end of next year it will almost certainly pass the Sega Genesis and SNES to move to at least #7... in just 3 years on the market.  That's not even considering there might be a huge sales boost if PlayStation.VR actually takes off (which admittedly is a HUGE "if").