iTunes install : There is a problem with this Windows Installer package

iTunes install : There is a problem with this Windows Installer package

I got a call from a customer last night who was unable to install iTunes, because towards the end of the install it would give the error “There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package”. He said he contacted Apple who logged in and couldn’t figure it out. Then he contacted Microsoft from the phone number Apple gave him and Microsoft logged into his computer for about 1 hour and in the end couldn't figure it out and just blamed it on some iTunes comparability.

Here is the issue and the solution. The issue in this case was, that when trying to uninstall the Apple software updater from the control panel you would get the message above. So during the end of the iTunes install it would attempt to uninstall the Apple Updater and the entire install would bomb out.

1444173672_iTunes-Won-t-Install-Update-W

The solution is to download the Microsoft Installer Cleanup utility and run it. Then select the Apple Software Update and click remove. This will forcibly remove it from the system. After that iTunes installed just fine.

21.jpg

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html

Microsoft no longer supports this tool. Because this tool is not being downloaded from the Microsoft website be careful on the Major Geeks website that you don't click on the incorrect download button.

When installing the Tool you do have to right click it and run as administrator.

Edited by warwagon

• 3 months later...

If your on Windows 10, iTunes has trouble installing . You need to get a different installer, google it because I can't remember where I got my installer from.

18 minutes ago, illage3 said:

If your on Windows 10, iTunes has trouble installing . You need to get a different installer, google it because I can't remember where I got my installer from.

Strange, I have Windows 10 at home and I used the installer from Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/download/. It installed without any issues at all.

• Like 2

It installs fine on Windows 10.

Note that if you have Process Explorer, close it before installing, or the installation of the iPod service will fail.  This applies to Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 (not sure on Vista).