looking for hdd enclosure to create a NAS

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

220$ CDN -- if your worried bout price why not just DIY as sc302 suggests with multiple examples??  You can put together a NAS box for a lot cheaper than that for sure..

^ this.  I love my cheap FreeNAS (which supports Time Machine) computer...if nothing more than the flexibility.  My FreeNAS has a cheap motherboard (which has six SATA ports) and a cheap Sempron processor.  I also put in a cheap 4 port SATA PCIx card which goes to the primary 4 3TB Red drives which are in one big zpool.  I have a mismatch of hard drives (mostly older 500-1.5TB drives) connected to the mobo also in one big zpool.  Basically, I have it setup to where the 4 Reds are what my computer's see and backup to ... and once a week ... rsync runs backing those 4 Reds up to the mix match of hard drives (just in case one of the Reds fail).

Anyway, I'd recommend building your own ... throwing FreeNAS on it and enjoy the flexibility vs. been stuck with whatever features a Synology (or other NAS manufacture) gives you.

• Like 2

Other than its just lay out money and your done I really don't know why anyone would buy a nas?  Users ok, but if your a techy person its so much more fun building your own, and cheaper more than likely.

For whatever reason they seem to put a premium on these nas devices.  The hardware they put in them is nothing special.

You could put together a 12 bay for price you get a 4 bay most likely ;)

• Like 2