PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Sony has announced that the PlayStation 4 has sold through over 30.2 million units worldwide since its release in late 2013. The figure is as of Sunday, November 22nd, and Sony says "PS4 continues to demonstrate the fastest and strongest growth in PlayStation hardware history."

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/25/9797964/ps4-sales-worldwide-30-million

While it is beating the PS2, the PS2 was heavily backloaded. Sure it sold great at the start but once the Xbox, Dreamcast and Gamecube were out of the equation (off the market), it's all anyone could buy really.

I don't think anything will ever finish with PS2 sales ever again.

While it is beating the PS2, the PS2 was heavily backloaded. Sure it sold great at the start but once the Xbox, Dreamcast and Gamecube were out of the equation (off the market), it's all anyone could buy really.

I don't think anything will ever finish with PS2 sales ever again.

I thought it was the other way around. Wasn't it a slow burner at the start, because the library was poor and people were unsure if the GC / Xbox would be contenders. Then when all three were available, it took off like crazy with some of the "must have" titles? That's how I remember PS2's life anyway.

As for reaching PS2 sales, I doubt it will happen either but purely because it cost $5 million or less back then to develop games. The market was flooded with A and AA titles which have all but gone in the industry today. The PS3 will probably sell close to or over 100 million in the end. It's overdue a price cut as the PS4 is edging closer to matching it in just 2 years time; I think they'll see a nice bump once it drops closer to £100.

I thought it was the other way around. Wasn't it a slow burner at the start, because the library was poor and people were unsure if the GC / Xbox would be contenders. Then when all three were available, it took off like crazy with some of the "must have" titles? That's how I remember PS2's life anyway.

As for reaching PS2 sales, I doubt it will happen either but purely because it cost $5 million or less back then to develop games. The market was flooded with A and AA titles which have all but gone in the industry today. The PS3 will probably sell close to or over 100 million in the end. It's overdue a price cut as the PS4 is edging closer to matching it in just 2 years time; I think they'll see a nice bump once it drops closer to £100.

That's what I meant by backloaded lol. Might have worded it wrongly. Essentially the PS2 peak sales were later on in the generation after it amassed a library and the competition all pulled off the shelves.

I miss the "AA" market :'( At least Nier is getting a sequel!!! <3 Even in the digital scene these days there is still a big gap of what we would refer to "AA" titles. Retail releases made on lower budgets that usually focussed on great gameplay or took risks in storytelling/characters. Or the platforming scene, which is almost all dried up now.

• Like 1