Checking For OS?

I have like 20 different USB Flash Drives. Is there a way to figure out what distro is on them? You know, rather than booting up with them? Ubuntu, Arch, Mint, Debian, whatever?

Can't you simply plug them into a Windows, Mac, or Linux running computer's USB drive and read the files that it contains? Just look at it through the file manager. If it is a OS not recognized by Windows or OS X, any Linux computer should read it (hopefully). If nothing else, the README.txt files should hold a clue. That should give you at least a start to see what's on them.

I tried that, Barney., but not ALL distros have a readme file. As for Arch, I only noticed it from the Arch folder. I'm running Mint 17.3 now. Macs suck btw :laugh*

No duh, AMPSV... :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I tried that, Barney., but not ALL distros have a readme file. As for Arch, I only noticed it from the Arch folder. I'm running Mint 17.3 now. Macs suck btw :laugh*

No duh, AMPSV... :rolleyes:

Yeah, the no README.txt file in some distros is true, but you could check to see. Macs can read many files, as can Windows. Alternately, you could boot from the USB drive and cancel it once you see what distro shows up. Those are my suggestions so I hope that they help.

• Like 1

MOM (I know, abbreviation), you should be able to plug the USB Drives in, and depending on what you used to create the installers with, actually see what OS's are on the sticks. For example, I used WinSetupFromUSB, so I can see the actual .iso's themselves on the stick, even which Windows installs are available too. I've got:

/ISO

linuxmint-17_2-cinnamon-64bit-.iso

ubuntu-14_04-desktop-amd64.iso

ubuntu-mate-15_10-desktop-amd64.iso

/WINSETUP

(in folders)

/WIN10

/WIN81-64

/WIN81-32

/AOMEIPARTMGR

And that's my 32 gig stick. I prefer WinSetupFromUSB. It's got logging so I can see what's going on as it's happening. I can use BCD Edit after I setup the Windows installs to change the Windows Setup items' names after I get them on the stick. GRUB entries, well, we all know that's easy to change menu entries as long as we know what we're doing.

Tedious, but fortunately I only have to do it once (unless something goes wrong). I've gotten it down to a science. :yes: 

We really need a dedicated thread just for useful commands, tips and tricks. I thought we already had one, though? Hmm ... Because simplezz's comment belongs in that category. :yes: 

3 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

We really need a dedicated thread just for useful commands, tips and tricks. I thought we already had one, though? Hmm ... Because simplezz's comment belongs in that category. :yes: 

That would be a great idea. I know Haggis would help too. Feel free to start one and I will pin it when it gets made.  The only thing close that I found was this (and it isn't close to what your suggestion is).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...