What was the last movie you watched? (2016 Edition)

5 hours ago, LaP said:

Going by that poster it looks like another bad russian movie lol

From the title Ekipaj to the burning plane and the 3 people standing in front of it with an i'm cool attitude it looks terrible lol

No one is forcing you to go and watch it and everyone deserves an opinion, and I respect that. 

Still, the movie has set a new record locally and it's already grossed more than Avatar, Star Wars 7, and Stalingrad before it in the same period.

9 hours ago, Mirumir said:

No one is forcing you to go and watch it and everyone deserves an opinion, and I respect that. 

Still, the movie has set a new record locally and it's already grossed more than Avatar, Star Wars 7, and Stalingrad before it in the same period.

It's not an opinion i've not seen the movie. More like a strange feeling of déjà vue while watching the poster and trailer. Stalingrad was **** bad imo. Such a wasted opportunity.

From my past experiences russian movies are most of the time disappointing. Either they try to "copy" hollywood high budget blockbusters (Stalingrad, Watch trilogy, Taras Bulba, ...) or they make some bland depressing movies without any clear goal or closure (The Return, Leviathan, Elena, ...). Not that The Return, Leviathan and Elena are bad movies i just think they could have been better with a little bit more characters/story development. Russian history and culture is so rich i expect better from russian filmmakers. The potential is there for memorable movies.

Edited by LaP

1 hour ago, LaP said:

It's not an opinion i've not seen the movie. More like a strange feeling of déjà vue while watching the poster and trailer. Stalingrad was **** bad imo. Such a wasted opportunity.

From my past experiences russian movies are most of the time disappointing. Either they try to "copy" hollywood high budget blockbusters (Stalingrad, Watch trilogy, Taras Bulba, ...) or they make some bland depressing movies without any clear goal or closure (The Return, Leviathan, Elena, ...). Not that The Return, Leviathan and Elena are bad movies i just think they could have been better with a little bit more characters/story development. Russian history and culture is so rich i expect better from russian filmmakers. The potential is there for memorable movies.

If you only judge about the Russian Cinematography by those movies, all of those made by Zvyagintsev who hates Russia, you haven't seen anything,

Leviathan is a Russian-made anti-Russian movie, that's how bad it is. It was most likely financed by the fifth column since it won a London award. The same goes for all the other films produced by Zvyagitsev.

22 hours ago, Mirumir said:

If you only judge about the Russian Cinematography by those movies, all of those made by Zvyagintsev who hates Russia, you haven't seen anything,

Leviathan is a Russian-made anti-Russian movie, that's how bad it is. It was most likely financed by the fifth column since it won a London award. The same goes for all the other films produced by Zvyagitsev.

oy leviathan was boring

What russian movies would you recommend?

2 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

oy leviathan was boring

What russian movies would you recommend?

I could recommend some, but I guess the problem would be finding a translated or subtitled English version. In some cases, finding the Spanish version would be easier because of the friendship with Cuba. 

If you are completely new to the Russian scene and if you are interested in cartoons :D I'd start with these:

The Scarlet Flower

The Enchanted Boy 

The Snow Queen 

The Snow Maiden

The Adventures of Mowgli

Nu, Pogodi

The Mystery of the Third Planet

Then move on to watching:

Morozko

The Guest from the Future

The Adventures of the Elektronik

Old Man Khottabych

Yeralash 

Amphibian Man

Ivan Vasilievich: Back to the Future

Kidnapping, Caucasian Style

The Twelve Chairs

The Diamond Arm

Love and Pigeons

Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears

Scarecrow

Please Accuse Klava K of My Death

Love and Lies

And:

Viy

Per Aspera Ad Astra 

Pirates of the 20th Century

The Barber of Siberia

Tried to sort them in the chronological order and by going from comedy, adventures, and drama to sci-fi, horror, action, and more drama :laugh:

Edited by Mirumir
added a few more
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mirumir said:

I could recommend some, but I guess the problem would be finding a translated or subtitled English version. In some cases, finding the Spanish version would be easier because of the friendship with Cuba. 

If you are completely new to the Russian scene and if you are interested in cartoons :D I'd start with these:

The Scarlet Flower

The Enchanted Boy 

The Snow Queen 

The Snow Maiden

The Adventures of Mowgli

Nu, Pogodi

Then move on to watching:

The Guest from the Future

The Adventures of the Elektronik

Old Man Khottabych

Yeralash 

Ivan Vasilievich: Back to the Future

Kidnapping, Caucasian Style

The Twelve Chairs

Love and Pigeons

Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears

Scarecrow

Please Accuse Klava K of My Death

And:

Viy

Per Aspera Ad Astra 

Pirates of the 20th Century

The Barber of Siberia

Tried to sort them in the chronological order and by going from comedy, adventures, and drama to sci-fi, horror, action, and more drama :laugh:

Nice list, I'll be sure to check them out. I Like cartoons also.

Engrish subs to hard to find? I definitely don't like dubbed:/, loses the point IMO 

On 26/04/2016 at 8:29 AM, Draconian Guppy said:

Nice list, I'll be sure to check them out. I Like cartoons also.

Engrish subs to hard to find? I definitely don't like dubbed:/, loses the point IMO 

I agree and I don't know.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Aight, Ill let you know when I watch a couple.

Sadly, that method is probably the only way :/ But let's not delve into that...

Ok :) 

2 hours ago, Mirumir said:

Influence

Hayao Miyazaki has stated that this film is one of his inspirations to work in animation. When he started his career, Miyazaki had a rough start and was thinking of leaving animation already. When he saw The Snow Queen, he admired it and continued working in anime.

And here's a trailer for the sequel:

The Snow Queen is a 2012 Russian-French-American-Emirati-Iranian 3D computer-animated adventure fantasy comedy family film

And the sequel of the sequel :laugh:

https://youtu.be/ZVlKB97Pl-c

• Like 1

stevejobs_eblast-e1442521316127.png?w=63

2 / 5

So I watched the movie "Steve Jobs" last night, what a snooze fest! It was a horrible movie. It wasn't even very historically accurate. When it was first announced that Michael Fassbender (or Fenderbender as I call him) was going to play Steve Jobs, I was like ....WTF. Well, after watching the movie that is still my opinion on that casting choice ...WTF.

My dad after watching it made a very good observation.

Spoiler

Almost the entire movie takes place 30 mins before several big announcements / keynotes. My dad asked, "Did all the important things happen behind stage before the big announcements"

It was so stupid. What a waste of what could have been amazing movie.

Enough of all this oh the Russian movie is crap garbage

I posted world cinema movies in the last year movie thread (Bollywood specifically) and no one batted an eyelid!

You don't want to watch it, fine, don't, THE THREAD TITLE IS 'WHAT WAS THE LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED'

and not 'what was the last movie forwarded by a Russian guy that I can criticize even though I haven't watched, nor do I intend to!'

• Like 3

Victor Frankenstein (2015)

6.5/10

It was an ok movie, good effects, Daniel Radcliffe played a less than fair Igor, James McAvoy was trying too hard to recapture the intensity of the original, but it was still watchable in my opinion

victor-frankenstein-poster.jpg

I don't know much myself about Russian cinema, but I have to admit I quite liked the Russian/American Hardcore Henry.

hAAMRHq.jpg

It was a bit disconcerting at times, but a bit of a trip in terms of cinematography. I don't know that I would watch it again, but, well, I was never bored with it.

• Like 2

Captain America, Civil War (Cineworld Wolverhampton)

8/10

captain-america-civil-war-poster%20.jpg

Not sure why it's listed as May 6, but hey, Cineworld Wolverhampton listed it's release as April 29

Enjoyable from start to finish, Action Scenes as to be expected from the franchise, good storyline.. Can't say much more as I'll spoil it for those who haven't watched it

I took the family to see this movie, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. 8/10

the-jungle-book-2016-poster-header-165110.jpg

• Like 2

Krampus

4/5 - Really good, closer to something like Gremlins than Trick R Treat. Something I would have been well into as a kid.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

8/10

My first fully watched Star Wars film (I know, I'm slow) but thoroughly enjoyed it, and even bought one of those BB-8 droids to go along with it! :p

• 3 weeks later...

The Wraith

9.5/10

One of my all time favourite movies, Charlie Sheen, Sherilyn Fenn, (with her boobs out in some scenes :yes::omg: )

And that Chrysler PPG Pace Car...

Wraith 1.JPG

• Like 2