how to teach a class?

Question

not sure this is off topic or not so please forgive me:

Soon I will be teaching a programming class to adults of all ages, now here is my problem I know I can do this but I am trying to divide up in my head the levels. I was wondering what topics I should teach in a beginners, intermediate and advance class?

Do i bang out the OOP straight away? or wait ? Im having trouble trying to work out the speeds on which I should teach people... I am going to be teaching 2 hours a week x 10 or 12 weeks.. I dont want to rush anyone nor confuse them? 

I just need some opinions, im self taught so its not like I can look back and think how i was taught? a conversation would be nice.. i am also still thinking of a language... here are my choices so far:

• java
  • android
  • python 
  • PHP

but then I was also thinking if I teach web programming I feel like I should also teach:

• databases
  • linux
  • apache / nginx
  • html
  • javascript
  • PHP
  • web techniques (ajax, minimisation, security etc etc..)

4 answers to this question

I would start with the easier/basic first. For example, I would teach basic programming and databases before introcuding OOP.

1 hour ago, Daedroth said:

I would start with the easier/basic first. For example, I would teach basic programming and databases before introcuding OOP.

so just start with linear? I mean the more classes I can drag this out to the more I can get paid...but I also want people to appreciate my teaching XD ... il guess il just do 3 or 4 lessons on syntax, strings and errors lol... that will buy me some time to make up the rest

The starting point is not technical, it would be coming to grips with the  meaning of "teaching"

Learning is something the human brain is designed to enjoy and flows naturally if enabled with some sort of passion and excitement. Teachers Unions everywhere want people to think the opposite, that learning requires Teachers. So there is a ton of weird baggage around the subject of teaching.

If you can see yourself as more of a guide than a teacher then you can focus on approaches that spark accomplishment in the learner.

Kahn Academy for example, uses Javascript and a store house of mini games that can be hacked on so there is always working code to start with. CodePen is a snippet based viewer that achieves a similar effect.

Robots and Turtles give a physical sense of accomplishment. Raspberry Pi might also have uses.

And don't forget the 3 major learning styles - Auditory, Visual and Touch - You need all three or you leave 1/3 of the class dazed and confused.