PS Vita memory card

My daughter had a vita, and just asked me last night to get her a bigger memory card. Do I have to buy the memory card that are branded Sony? I ask because a 32GB card is selling for ~$70! and I can find MicroSd cards for much cheaper if they would work.

Sadly, you have to buy their memory cards; they deliberately made their own proprietary format for the PS Vita (which, in my opinion, is the biggest reason why it flopped), and even today - after four years of it being out - there still aren't any third-party memory cards available. I got lucky with the 16GB card I've got; it cost me ~$30, but it came in the Sports & Racing Mega Pack, so I got eight games with it, too.

7 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Thanks for your reply, I was afraid that was going to be the case.

I buy most of mine used from GameStop.  They often have some good (in comparison) prices and I see no problem with used cards.  I refuse to pay full price for new ones as it's a complete rip-off.

Also if you have downloaded games and a PS3 you can store Vita games on the PS3 so you can delete them from your memory cards and reuse them to minimize how many you need to buy.  You'll just have to shuffle the games you're playing between the PS3 and memory card.

Yeah, I just stopped at the Gamestop and got a 16GB used for ~$30, so that is a much better deal imho!

Biggest negative of the Vita. Was so stupid to go proprietary when the 3DS allows microsd. I have a 128GB sdcard in my 3DS that I pretty much paid the same for as my 64GB Vita card.

It's like $90 for a 64GB card and that's even when you import from Japan.

Always hoped someone would hack a way to have some sort of adapter/microsd, but there just isn't enough room in the Vita port for this (might not even be doable).