KDE Project Neon is back!

Remember a while ago project neon was porting back the plasma next packages so they could be used on an older ubuntu version as well? because of too complicated maintenance this project was abandoned later on.

but now KDE neon is back!

http://neon.kde.org.uk

• Like 2

missed it - sorry.  still fits better in the linux section imho.

Is anyone using this yet? I tried to install it.. But.. I guess it's working? I don't see an option for it under Plasma.. I've also never used KDE before.. Always been a Gnome person.. 

kde.thumb.PNG.463286955976cda539cf8a11fb

2 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

Is anyone using this yet? I tried to install it.. But.. I guess it's working? I don't see an option for it under Plasma.. I've also never used KDE before.. Always been a Gnome person.. 

kde.thumb.PNG.463286955976cda539cf8a11fb

you don't see anything as all you do is download the kubuntu version and then add the ppa to your mirrorlist, then performing an apt-get update && upgrade && dist-upgrade.  that's all. and project neon will provide rolling release packages like they did in the past.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

you don't see anything as all you do is download the kubuntu version and then add the ppa to your mirrorlist, then performing an apt-get update && upgrade && dist-upgrade.  that's all. and project neon will provide rolling release packages like they did in the past.

Sweet! Thanks man!! I'll keep this one updated.. Maybe there is a way to get it on Debian soon..  Seems like it favors Ubuntu.Kubuntu for now.. 

Just now, fusi0n said:

Sweet! Thanks man!! I'll keep this one updated.. Maybe there is a way to get it on Debian soon..  Seems like it favors Ubuntu.Kubuntu for now.. 

welcome! i will have an eye on it too (in virtualbox). very happy with antergos currently, but you never know what the future brings :)

Booo .. no 14.04 (Mint 17.x) support. I've chosen Mint over stock Ubuntu because Mint solved so many problems and sorted out so many issues out of the box that I otherwise had to deal with myself.

On the other hand, Antergos is something I'm looking strongly at, but the learning curve .. it's like I'm starting over. I finally got the rest of the household to switch to 'nix and I have to be able to do setup and sort problems out quickly, as my personal time constraints are .. well, constrained. :rofl: Mint is the one that fits everyone's needs.

Looks like I'm waiting for Mint 18 KDE. Thank you for the post, though. I'm a fan of Plasma 5.

13 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

On the other hand, Antergos is something I'm looking strongly at, but the learning curve .. it's like I'm starting over.

honestly, i had the same fears, but it's not that hard. installation works as easy as ubuntu and mint and after that you can do: sudo pacman -S octopi this results in a very nice GUI installer for pacman which can be used the same way as synaptic on ubuntu could. no complicated commands needed and it comes with a package cleaner as well. initially i thought i would miss the variety of .deb packages as they were offered for ubuntu but antergos pulls out of the same sources as arch linux does so you should find anything.  why not running it in virtualbox for a few weeks to see if it suits you or not?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

project-neon comes with a new wallpaper

spectacle.thumb.png.6938d75a968a79f41182

i have uploaded it in the maximum resolution for everyone interested >> HERE

haven't used discover update manager for ages but it looks like it got a nice redesign as well

neon_1.thumb.png.99cfec579777337cc642c4f