KDE Project Neon is back!


Recommended Posts

simonlang

Remember a while ago project neon was porting back the plasma next packages so they could be used on an older ubuntu version as well? because of too complicated maintenance this project was abandoned later on.

but now KDE neon is back!

http://neon.kde.org.uk

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas the Tank Engine

Already posted news:

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang

missed it - sorry.  still fits better in the linux section imho.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
fusi0n

Thanks for posting it.. Looks sexy as hell!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
fusi0n

Is anyone using this yet? I tried to install it.. But.. I guess it's working? I don't see an option for it under Plasma.. I've also never used KDE before.. Always been a Gnome person.. 

kde.thumb.PNG.463286955976cda539cf8a11fb

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
2 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

Is anyone using this yet? I tried to install it.. But.. I guess it's working? I don't see an option for it under Plasma.. I've also never used KDE before.. Always been a Gnome person.. 

kde.thumb.PNG.463286955976cda539cf8a11fb

 

you don't see anything as all you do is download the kubuntu version and then add the ppa to your mirrorlist, then performing an apt-get update && upgrade && dist-upgrade.  that's all. and project neon will provide rolling release packages like they did in the past.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
fusi0n
1 minute ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

you don't see anything as all you do is download the kubuntu version and then add the ppa to your mirrorlist, then performing an apt-get update && upgrade && dist-upgrade.  that's all. and project neon will provide rolling release packages like they did in the past.

Sweet! Thanks man!! I'll keep this one updated.. Maybe there is a way to get it on Debian soon..  Seems like it favors Ubuntu.Kubuntu for now.. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
Just now, fusi0n said:

Sweet! Thanks man!! I'll keep this one updated.. Maybe there is a way to get it on Debian soon..  Seems like it favors Ubuntu.Kubuntu for now.. 

welcome! i will have an eye on it too (in virtualbox). very happy with antergos currently, but you never know what the future brings :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Unobscured Vision

Booo .. no 14.04 (Mint 17.x) support. I've chosen Mint over stock Ubuntu because Mint solved so many problems and sorted out so many issues out of the box that I otherwise had to deal with myself.

 

On the other hand, Antergos is something I'm looking strongly at, but the learning curve .. it's like I'm starting over. I finally got the rest of the household to switch to 'nix and I have to be able to do setup and sort problems out quickly, as my personal time constraints are .. well, constrained. :rofl: Mint is the one that fits everyone's needs.

 

Looks like I'm waiting for Mint 18 KDE. Thank you for the post, though. I'm a fan of Plasma 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
13 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

 

 

On the other hand, Antergos is something I'm looking strongly at, but the learning curve .. it's like I'm starting over.

honestly, i had the same fears, but it's not that hard. installation works as easy as ubuntu and mint and after that you can do: sudo pacman -S octopi this results in a very nice GUI installer for pacman which can be used the same way as synaptic on ubuntu could. no complicated commands needed and it comes with a package cleaner as well. initially i thought i would miss the variety of .deb packages as they were offered for ubuntu but antergos pulls out of the same sources as arch linux does so you should find anything.  why not running it in virtualbox for a few weeks to see if it suits you or not?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Unobscured Vision

Yeah, that's def. an option. No harm in trying that, certainly. It won't interfere with my University coursework, either. :yes: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
simonlang

project-neon comes with a new wallpaper

spectacle.thumb.png.6938d75a968a79f41182

 

i have uploaded it in the maximum resolution for everyone interested >> HERE

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang

haven't used discover update manager for ages but it looks like it got a nice redesign as well

neon_1.thumb.png.99cfec579777337cc642c4f

Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.