• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Giving Edge another shot.

MorganX    1,044

With the recent cumulative update destabilizing Internet Explorer in Windows 10 for me, I'm giving Edge another shot. It's much better @ 1440p and definitely faster than IE. My only major missing features are:

1. The ability to right click a favorites folder and open all tabls
  2. No taskbar jumplist support

oldtimefighter    3,070

Cumulative update destabilizing Internet Explorer in Windows 10? Why the hell would you ever be using IE?

That's all the major features you are missing? How about...

- Extension support?

- Ability to clear browser data on exit?

- Cross platform support? One can't sync anything to their phones and it's 2016... You certainly are not using Edge or IE on your Galaxy Note.

- How about a damn URL bar in the proper spot when you first open Edge?

I decided to open Edge again and see if it's tolerable yet. Nope... I can't even make it remember I want it to open to a BLANK page. It looks like when you clear your browser data it reverts back to open new tabs with top sites and suggested content for some reason. #facepalm Still junk...

• Like 2

Jazmac    3,016

Nothing much has changed with Edge yet. In order to make it my default and keep it there was to go into my hosts file and manage that. It keeps the crazy popups and ads from flooding the browser and annoying the crap out of me.  With the hosts file doing its thing, this browser screams on the net.  Faster than any browser I've ever used.  Check this link for a hosts file you can use and give it a shot to see if it helps you.

• Like 1

MorganX    1,044
21 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Cumulative update destabilizing Internet Explorer in Windows 10? Why the hell would you ever be using IE?

- Extension support?

- Cross platform support? One can't sync anything to their phones and it's 2016... You certainly are not using Edge or IE on your Galaxy Note.

I decided to open Edge again and see if it's tolerable yet. Nope... I can't even make it remember I want it to open to a BLANK page. It looks like when you clear your browser data it reverts back to open new tabs with top sites and suggested content for some reason. #facepalm Still junk...

- I personally don't use extensions so for me this is a non-issue

- Didn't clear browser data on exit in I.E. I just never needed to do this, though every now and then I run Safe Erase on just about everything.

- You are right. I don't like browsing on a phone, even on my note. It's emergencies only. But now that you mention it, I probably would browse more if Edge were on Android. Not something I have to have though.

- This bothered me at first, but not anymore. I just got used to it. I think going 1440p with the extra real estate, it just doesn't bother me much. You do know, when you first open Edge, if you click in the empty space where the address bar should be, it will move up there before you type anything? I know, still an inconvenience but I did notice it. I just type in the new address bar and it moves up, not a biggie for me.

It's far from finished, but I would also say it's far from, junk.

• Like 1

Active.    1,697

Edge still crashes for me with only a few tabs open about once every 15min (Version 1511, OS Build 10586.0). Will stick w/ Firefox +uBlock origin on Windows 10.

• Like 1

Kierax2016    62

Edge runs quite well for me, however I must admit the only issue I seem to have, is after about half an hour of forum browsing, trying to close tabs seems to become a problem, the X to close basically does nothing, so I end up having to close/open the browser.

Oh and the lack of extensions is really becoming an issue.

+Fahim S.    1,093
1 hour ago, oldtimefighter said:

- Extension support?

Here's a crazy idea.  Some people may not need all of the features you think are necessary as a minimum.  I know I could live without the three features you have mentioned (the other is an opinion on the UI).

I really like Edge, but every so often it fails to load a page, and doesn't provide any way to reload it fail copy and pasting the URL to a new tab.  It's the only problem I have but makes the browser unusable. 

• Like 2

MorganX    1,044
35 minutes ago, Kierax2016 said:

Edge runs quite well for me, however I must admit the only issue I seem to have, is after about half an hour of forum browsing, trying to close tabs seems to become a problem, the X to close basically does nothing, so I end up having to close/open the browser.

Oh and the lack of extensions is really becoming an issue.

I have a similar problem after about an hour or so of being open. Only it also prevents task manager and the Start Menu from opening. So I have to hard boot. Can't even restart. I'll try not too leave it open so long, but eventually I'll go back to IE if there's no updates, sooon!

1 hour ago, Jazmac said:

Nothing much has changed with Edge yet. In order to make it my default and keep it there was to go into my hosts file and manage that. It keeps the crazy popups and ads from flooding the browser and annoying the crap out of me.  With the hosts file doing its thing, this browser screams on the net.  Faster than any browser I've ever used.  Check this link for a hosts file you can use and give it a shot to see if it helps you.

Thank you sir,

Finally got rid of those irritating flash video ads before flash videos.... espn.

Edited by MorganX
  • Like 1

Circaflex    3,580
1 hour ago, oldtimefighter said:

- Extension support?

Are you really that stubborn and oblivious? Not everyone uses their computers alike, nor do they have the same preferences. What you enjoy about product xyz, maybe the OP doesn't see those as benefits?

Extension support is coming, but not everyone uses extensions.

Clear data on exit. Again not everyone needs this feature, I am not sure what good it does but its not something I care about

Cross platform support, this is the only one I can agree with on your list

URL bar is fine for my taste.

• Like 1

zhangm    1,346

Edge still seems pretty rough. I've sent some fairly blunt feedback, on more than one occasion, that whatever they're using to populate the Top sites pane is basically stupid (as I see it being filled with things like "Step 3 Bill..." and other things that are technically web pages, but that I find unhelpful to be pinned.

I just noticed that on one of my machines, you can pin and rearrange top site objects, and I thought it was great that they finally added this feature. However, I just checked on another machine that uses the same build of Edge, and see that this option doesn't exist. :s

I'm left wondering how utterly confusing this must be for both people giving and receiving feedback if some features exist only on a subset of computers.

Capture.PNG

+Red King    2,466

Just don't drag tabs from one window to another, or just generally don't rearrange tabs on top, that causes crashes.

oldtimefighter    3,070
3 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

Here's a crazy idea.  Some people may not need all of the features you think are necessary as a minimum.  I know I could live without the three features you have mentioned (the other is an opinion on the UI).

3 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Are you really that stubborn and oblivious? Not everyone uses their computers alike, nor do they have the same preferences. What you enjoy about product xyz, maybe the OP doesn't see those as benefits?

Weird, I re-read my comment and no where did I say my list should be everybody's list of missing features as I was expressing an alternative opinion (something people do in comments sections) on the issue to OP's minority opinion of the issue. What I mean by that is almost no one thinks Edge is near feature complete.

Hey, if Microsoft doesn't want to implement my non-controversial list of common sense features so be it but don't expect Edge be nothing more then the default browser of Windows 10 that almost no one uses.

Circaflex    3,580
1 minute ago, oldtimefighter said:

Weird, I re-read my comment and no where did I say my list should be everybody's list of missing features as I was expressing an alternative opinion (something people do in comments sections) on the issue to OP's incredibly minority opinion of the issue. What I mean by that is almost no one thinks Edge is near feature complete.

Hey, if Microsoft doesn't want to implement my non-controversial list of common sense features so be it but don't expect Edge be nothing more then the default browser of Windows 10 that almost no one uses.

My problem with you MJ, is the fact that whenever someone posts something that does not reflect the same as your opinion, you immediately write it off or reply stating they are wrong. Its your way or the highway.

• Like 1

oldtimefighter    3,070
9 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

My problem with you MJ, is the fact that whenever someone posts something that does not reflect the same as your opinion, you immediately write it off or reply stating they are wrong. Its your way or the highway.

Yes so? I can name 100 way more rude people then me here but for some reason i get more flack then most of them. Get over it...

I didn't say the OP was wrong (didn't even respond to his reply to me as it's all good) but was pointing out actual real missing features of Edge other then the minor issues he was citing. You really think me saying Edge not having extensions is a non-issue? Please seek out the other 10,000 comments here of people complaining about the same thing. Sigh...

EDITED

Circaflex    3,580
3 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Yes so?

You've proven my point and your immaturity has shown, as it always does.

• Like 1

+Fahim S.    1,093
11 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Weird, I re-read my comment and no where did I say my list should be everybody's list of missing features as I was expressing an alternative opinion (something people do in comments sections) on the issue to OP's minority opinion of the issue. What I mean by that is almost no one thinks Edge is near feature complete.

Weird, I re-read your comment and it screamed 'that isn't an acceptable list of missing features, mine are'.

Reality is some of us just want a simple browser that works and what you see as 30% done, some see as 95% done. 

• Like 2

Circaflex    3,580
Just now, Fahim S. said:

Weird, I re-read your comment and it screamed 'that isn't an acceptable list of missing features, mine are'.

Reality is some of us just want a simple browser that works and what you see as 30% done, some see as 95% done. 

not to mention he starts out his first reply with

• Like 1

WinMacLin Guy    208

I really like Edge. Though I have run into some issues with comment boxes where I cannot continuously type without the page freezing for a while; I also miss the browser gestures available in Modern IE in Windows 8/8.1. I do wish that Edge was multiplatform and had better sync support. I also hope MS adds more sophisticated tab and session management features.

oldtimefighter    3,070
1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

not to mention he starts out his first reply with

I will stop you right there... There is no legitimate reason for anyone to be using IE over Chrome or Firefox on a home computer in 2016. That is not controversial and people still using it just don't know better as IE is just not secure, lacks modern web standards compliance, is slow, and is not even in development anymore. You have no argument there...

I have been enjoying your comments after the immaturity remark. #facepalm

MorganX    1,044
25 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

I will stop you right there... There is no legitimate reason for anyone to be using IE over Chrome or Firefox on a home computer in 2016. That is not controversial and people still using it just don't know better as IE is just not secure, lacks modern web standards compliance, is slow, and is not even in development anymore. You have no argument there...

I have been enjoying your comments after the immaturity remark. #facepalm

Come on man ...

terms of security, browser vulnerabilities can be divided according to their impact:

Critical Vulnerability. It can be used to run malicious code and install software, and it needs no user interaction beyond normal browsing.

High Vulnerability. It can be deployed to harvest sensitive data from web sites in other windows or inject data or code into the same websites, again requiring nothing else but normal browsing activities.

Moderate Vulnerability. It could be high or critical except it only works in uncommon non-default configurations. Furthermore, it requires the user to perform actions that may appear unlikely.

Low Minor Vulnerability. It can be Denial of Service attacks, minor data leaks, or spoofs.

Vulnerabilities in Mozilla Products

A total of 1228 vulnerabilities have been found and fixed in Firefox since its first release.

According to Mozilla.org, 16 vulnerabilities have been enclosed and fixed in Firefox 40. Some of the vulnerabilities were found thanks to code inspection. Interestingly enough, those weak spots are often high in impact and can be quite problematic.

As of August 2015, three vulnerabilities have been discovered via code inspection, and reported by security researcher Ronald Crane. The vulnerabilities can exploit:

The use of unowned memory.

The use of a deleted object.

One particular memory safety bug.

The vulnerabilities could affect Firefox, Firefox ESR, Firefox OS, and Thunderbird. Accordingly, they were fixed in:

Firefox 40

Firefox ESR 38.2

Firefox OS 2.2

Thunderbird 38.2

Vulnerabilities in Google Chrome

According to CVE details, a total of 1228 vulnerabilities have been located in Chrome.

As of June 2015, multiple bugs have been identified in Google Chrome, which could lead to remote code execution. The vulnerabilities can be exploited in the context of the browser when a user is redirected to an attacker page. The risk of the enclosed vulnerabilities is defined as High for governments, businesses, and common users.

Here is a list compiled by Multi-State of the bugs that affect Google Chrome prior to Google Chrome 44.0.2403.89:

Heap-buffer-overflow in pdfium (CVE-2015-1271)

Heap-buffer-overflow in pdfium (CVE-2015-1273)

Settings allowed executable files to run immediately after download (CVE-2015-1274)

UXSS in Chrome for Android (CVE-2015-1275)

Use-after-free in IndexedDB (CVE-2015-1276)

Heap-buffer-overflow in pdfium (CVE-2015-1279)

Memory corruption in skia (CVE-2015-1280)

CSP bypass (CVE-2015-1281)

Use-after-free in pdfium (CVE-2015-1282)

Heap-buffer-overflow in expat (CVE-2015-1283)

Use-after-free in blink (CVE-2015-1284)

UXSS in blink (CVE-2015-1286)

SOP bypass with CSS (CVE-2015-1287)

Uninitialized memory read in ICU (CVE-2015-1270)

Use-after-free related to unexpected GPU process termination (CVE-2015-1272)

Use-after-free in accessibility (CVE-2015-1277)

URL spoofing using pdf files (CVE-2015-1278)

Information leak in XSS auditor (CVE-2015-1285)

Spell checking dictionaries fetched over HTTP (CVE-2015-1288)

Various fixes from internal audits, fuzzing and other initiatives ( CVE-2015-1289)

Vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer

There was a time when Internet Explorer was the most prevalent browser. However, many things have changed since then, and many vulnerabilities have been discovered. As a total, 613 vulnerabilities have been identified in IE, 13 of them were updated in August 2015. Let’s have a look:

→CVE-2015-2502 CVE-2015-2452 CVE-2015-2451 CVE-2015-2450 CVE-2015-2449 CVE-2015-2448 CVE-2015-2447 CVE-2015-2446 CVE-2015-2445 CVE-2015-2444 CVE-2015-2443 CVE-2015-2442 CVE-2015-2441

12 of the listed CVEs are aimed at denial-of-service attacks, and one of them is described as bypass+info (CVE-2015-2449).

• Like 1

MorganX    1,044

Ignoring the nonsense, I just found the Web Note feature of Edge, I think I'm going to play around with that a little, seems potentially quite useful.

Jazmac    3,016
4 hours ago, MorganX said:

I have a similar problem after about an hour or so of being open. Only it also prevents task manager and the Start Menu from opening. So I have to hard boot. Can't even restart. I'll try not too leave it open so long, but eventually I'll go back to IE if there's no updates, sooon!

Thank you sir,

Finally got rid of those irritating flash video ads before flash videos.... espn.

Good to know. Microsoft Edge is quite a fantastic browser and quite possibly the shape of things to come when you quiet the noise on the internet.