Old Graphics Card HDMI Adapter Question

I want to put an old ATI 4850 (Yes I know about the power draw and the fact it kinda sucks now but it beats her current 5450 by a long shot) in my daughters PC that I have lay around.

Now, I remember back in the day, it came with a DVI>HDMI adapter that looked like this:

41zREguahKL._SX300_.jpg

When I first got it years ago, just to test it, I hooked it up to the TV one time and it supported the on GPU audio and converted that to HDMI also.

Does anyone happen to know if that was a special feature of this specific adapter, or should any DVI>HDMI adapter be capable of doing this?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

HDMI = Audio and Video

DVI = Video only.

Some DVI-D sources use non-standard extensions to output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series).[9] Some multimedia displays use a DVI to HDMI adapter to input the HDMI signal with audio. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

I've had audio over DVI with newer kit than that, though it's been a while.

Just found an old thread on this exact topic, as it turns out, it does have to be this specific adapter for it to work, and the 4850 does indeed have it's own HDMI audio device built in. Time to look at ebay......

4 minutes ago, kalkal said:

I want to put an old ATI 4850 (Yes I know about the power draw and the fact it kinda sucks now but it beats her current 5450 by a long shot) in my daughters PC that I have lay around.

Now, I remember back in the day, it came with a DVI>HDMI adapter that looked like this:

41zREguahKL._SX300_.jpg

When I first got it years ago, just to test it, I hooked it up to the TV one time and it supported the on GPU audio and converted that to HDMI also.

Does anyone happen to know if that was a special feature of this specific adapter, or should any DVI>HDMI adapter be capable of doing this?

Thanks.

Any DVI-HDMI adapter should be capable of this, as audio over HDMI has been part of the specification from the beginning - for reasons of connection simplicity.

While the HD4850 is better at DX10 or less, obviously, the person in question does not play any DX11 games OR run OS X (the two areas where HD54xx - even in Mobility trim - smashes HD4xxx quite flat; I have a 1 GB HD5450 from Visiontek - which my refurb GTX550Ti replaced - for those two reasons - I keep it around today as a backup/spare).  Also, HD54xx supports the current Radeon Crimson drivers - HD4xxx does not.

That adapter - despite the labelling - is, in fact, a commonplace DVI-HDMI adapter that was a pack-in with AMD/ATI HD3xxx/4xxx desktop GPUs from multiple AIBs (HIS, Visiontek, etc.) - I have one that came with an HIS HD3450 in PCI(!) clothes.

1 minute ago, PGHammer said:

Any DVI-HDMI adapter should be capable of this, as audio over HDMI has been part of the specification from the beginning - for reasons of connection simplicity.

While the HD4850 is better at DX10 or less, obviously, the person in question does not play any DX11 games OR run OS X (the two areas where HD54xx - even in Mobility trim - smashes HD4xxx quite flat; I have a 1 GB HD5450 from Visiontek - which my refurb GTX550Ti replaced - for those two reasons - I keep it around today as a backup/spare).  Also, HD54xx supports the current Radeon Crimson drivers - HD4xxx does not.

That adapter - despite the labelling - is, in fact, a commonplace DVI-HDMI adapter that was a pack-in with AMD/ATI HD3xxx/4xxx desktop GPUs from multiple AIBs (HIS, Visiontek, etc.) - I have one that came with an HIS HD3450 in PCI(!) clothes.

I understand the 4850 isn't a dx11 card but surely the 5450 (a seriously low end card) is still destroyed by the 4850 by this?

Oh, on a side note to all of this, if I wanted just to buy a more modern card that performs similar to the 4850, what should I be looking at? (With dx11 support)

I'm just looking for something as cheap as possible. Not definitely buying it but just a thought. Would be nice to just have hdmi built in.

2 hours ago, kalkal said:

I understand the 4850 isn't a dx11 card but surely the 5450 (a seriously low end card) is still destroyed by the 4850 by this?

Oh, on a side note to all of this, if I wanted just to buy a more modern card that performs similar to the 4850, what should I be looking at? (With dx11 support)

I'm just looking for something as cheap as possible. Not definitely buying it but just a thought. Would be nice to just have hdmi built in.

The 4850 destroys the 5450.

eb_4850-5450.thumb.png.1f9e93ae07d0e779e

Just now, randomevent said:

As for modern cards I wouldn't really go below a 360 if you want it to last a while.  I don't really know NV cards below the 950 so *shrug*

Then use the image two posts above yours.

6 hours ago, randomevent said:

As for modern cards I wouldn't really go below a 360 if you want it to last a while.  I don't really know NV cards below the 950 so *shrug*

NV cards below the 950 would get the job done are gtx 750 ti, gtx 750, and gt 740.

On 31/01/2016 at 7:39 PM, xendrome said:

5450 vs 4850 is like saying "that snail is faster then my snail"

Not really, it's the difference between being able to play certain games at all, or not at all. For example, the 5450 even struggles with titles from 2004, like hl2 on the top settings at 1080p. The 4850 handles most unreal engine 3 games perfectly at 1080p if not having to knock it down to 720p occasionally

On 1/31/2016 at 2:13 PM, kalkal said:

Only in DX10 or lower - and that is due to GPU/API matching.  HD54xx is indeed a Mobility part (in fact, it was originally intended for notebooks) - however, it supports DX11, uses only bus-power, and can be passively-cooled (most such cards for desktops - including mine - are, in fact, fanless).  Unlike HD57xx/HD77xx (the non-Mobility discrete part just up the path) it's even available in PCI - ideal for systems with weak PSUs and no PCI Express slots at all.  The alternative I'd suggest for your situation is nVidia GTX550Ti (and for the same reasons I went with it) - it's still available (either new or refurbished), it has Windows 10 driver support (out of the box), and it's not a power pig (it requires but a single 6-pin power feed from the PSU - identical to HD48xx),  The HD48xx/HD54xx conundrum goes back to Crysis 2 - a DX11 API game; HD5450 can run it - however, HD48xx can't.  GPU popularity doesn't make any difference to an API - no matter how much folks scream about it.  HD48xx doesn't support DX11, and Crysis 2 doesn't support DX10.  Crysis 2 was, in fact, ALL about the API - and a lot of folks that bought DX10-ceilinged GPUs (AMD HD4xxx) found themselves in CELL suits at a Ceph convention - in Central Park.

18 hours ago, Vvo said:

NV cards below the 950 would get the job done are gtx 750 ti, gtx 750, and gt 740.

Any of the three would do - on top of that, all support DX12 (all are based on Maxwell - which was designed around DX12 from the beginning, as was AMD's R9).

The issue with Maxwell 1.x is now availability (not price) - there simply aren't as much inventory of GT7xx (either Maxwell or even late Kepler, such as GTX76x or above) as there was even a year ago - not even from Amazon.

I have Ashes of the Singularity staring me in the face - while it does support DX11, DX12 is better-performing gamewise, and while Fermi (and thus GTX550Ti) WILL support it down the road, how far down the road is such support?  GTX9xx is a straight replacement for GTX5xx - uses the same drivers, the same amount of PSU power for the most part (even in the case of GTX960), and uses no greater amount of room in the case - and it will definitely NOT perform any worse in any game I am playing today.

22 hours ago, PGHammer said:

Only in DX10 or lower - and that is due to GPU/API matching.  HD54xx is indeed a Mobility part (in fact, it was originally intended for notebooks) - however, it supports DX11, uses only bus-power, and can be passively-cooled (most such cards for desktops - including mine - are, in fact, fanless).  Unlike HD57xx/HD77xx (the non-Mobility discrete part just up the path) it's even available in PCI - ideal for systems with weak PSUs and no PCI Express slots at all.  The alternative I'd suggest for your situation is nVidia GTX550Ti (and for the same reasons I went with it) - it's still available (either new or refurbished), it has Windows 10 driver support (out of the box), and it's not a power pig (it requires but a single 6-pin power feed from the PSU - identical to HD48xx),  The HD48xx/HD54xx conundrum goes back to Crysis 2 - a DX11 API game; HD5450 can run it - however, HD48xx can't.  GPU popularity doesn't make any difference to an API - no matter how much folks scream about it.  HD48xx doesn't support DX11, and Crysis 2 doesn't support DX10.  Crysis 2 was, in fact, ALL about the API - and a lot of folks that bought DX10-ceilinged GPUs (AMD HD4xxx) found themselves in CELL suits at a Ceph convention - in Central Park.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-4850-vs-GeForce-GTX-550-Ti

It's weird how the 4850 performs so much better in 3d mark 06? I don't get it.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the range of dx11 games would be played, she really loves Mass Effect (Which I think is awesome for an 11 year old girl) and also games like Oblivion/Skyrim, Fallout 3/4 and The Sims 3. I think Fallout 4 would be ruled out due to dx11 but it still keeps things fairly open generally. 90% of the time, it'll be minecraft which seems to even perform like a champ on the 5450 (Albeit the windows 10 version, which may or may not be dx11 too... in which case she'll kill me if it doesn't work with the 4850 lol)