Can i install a hackintosh on this hardware?

I have a PC but i would like to be able to install the Mac OS on it. I've read that it can be done, but that on AMD systems you either can't or it's very difficult ... depending on which source you read.

I built my system in 2010 & these are the current specs:

AMD Phenom 2 X6 1055T 2.80Ghz processor

16GB Corsair RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB graphics card

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 motherboard

If you need more information just ask.

Question is simply - can it be done on this machine with these specs?

16 minutes ago, Jared- said:

ask on insanelymac.com or tonyx86 or whatever they're called these days.

This was fun 10 years ago, not really now. 

Way to be a debbie downer. I am sure some members here have done this, so its a perfectly fine question to ask on Neowin. No need to shoo them away to another forum.

But to answer OPs question, yes that hardware is compatible. Some users here, osx86.net/forums/topic/14852-asus-m4a88td-hackintosh/

talk about it working with that motherboard. There are some links in the thread, but YMMV as the thread is very old.

Here is another, newer thread, that talks about getting mavericks working. osx86.net/forums/topic/19399-i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-my-successful-hackintosh-installation/

I had to remove the direct link because the new forum here screws it up badly just add www. to those two, i would start with the bottom link

Aahhh the old days - hackintosh

Before win7 came out, I had 4 OSes on my main desktop - XP64, ubuntu, Vista, and OS-X
Wasn't completely happy with any 1 OS and was looking for something else - then when win7 came out - I deleted all the partitions.

Kinda makes me miss win7 :p

You'll need an AMD-supported kernel, check InsanelyMac's AMD forum section.

I'm currently running 3 OSes on my main PC; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Mac OS X 10.11.3 and Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit. Overall all of them work pretty good in this configuration.

5 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Aahhh the old days - hackintosh

Before win7 came out, I had 4 OSes on my main desktop - XP64, ubuntu, Vista, and OS-X
Wasn't completely happy with any 1 OS and was looking for something else - then when win7 came out - I deleted all the partitions.

Kinda makes me miss win7 :p

Ahh yes, those days were indeed fun. I didn't have the hardware at the time, but was always curious. Guess I missed out.

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look.

And i know this may be old stuff to you guys but many things are old to some people. We're born at different times, get interested in things at different times etc etc.

18 hours ago, Jared- said:

ask on insanelymac.com or tonyx86 or whatever they're called these days.

This was fun 10 years ago, not really now. 

Why not now? I'm currently running a perfect hackintosh laptop on my Zenbook ux305fa - dualbooting with windows 10... saved me a good few hundred pounds over a macbook.

perfectly smooth, theres not one part that doesn't work (I did have to replace the wifi card it came with, with an osx compatible one). I prefer the performance running osx on this than windows. I have an i7 3820 with gtx 670 running osx for my desktop comp too..

That being said, it all depends on how compatible your hardware is - I believe your problem is going to be that your cpu is amd... Intel usually plays nice or requires very little adjustments.

There is one distro I've read about that has success with amd installs, but its a highly edited and probably not the most trusted - google 'niresh' he's made his distros work with amd and intel... so could try there but be careful and read up first.

• 1 month later...

I managed to successfully build my Skylake based (i7 6700K + Nvidia GTX 970) hackintosh OSX 10.11.3. Best part was, I managed to install it on Samsung 950 NVMe m.2 SSD. It ran perfectly and even managed to get HDMI audio. But that was too wild for me.

But hackintosh's efi clover partition started playing havoc with Windows 10 partition. Windows assumed that efi partition was already present and used to install without any. So it never backed up that efi partition and I could never restore it in case of failure. This scenario led me to drop hackintosh all-together.

Sad end!

• 3 weeks later...

You likely need to use the AMD Kernel that is supported for your kind of system if you have a FX you need AMD FX support some will work with fx the AMD Kernel since some is supported.