Wifes laptop artifacting

hey guys, you are the studs around here and I need your help. My wife owns a Toshiba, out of warranty and she has to push her screen back to about 45 degrees or the screen artifacts badly. I once a while ago bumped my knee into it on the corner, not the screen itself. but it was in the way of traffic into the livingroom

issue: when its less than 45 degrees away from her, she gets lines across the screen and the screen shakes up and down so she nor I can see the screen clearly but I know its the login screen.

is there a place that I can shop for a new screen and buy her a new 17" screen for her laptop? I can put it in myself.

any help would be greatly appreciated

You sure it isn't the internal cable?  I would crack it open and mess around to see if I can a) reproduce the issue or b) resolve the issue and c) narrow it down to cable or screen

With regards to the screen ... I would just google the Toshiba Model and see what comes up.  Amazon may have it.

22 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

I found a website that sells all brands of laptop screens. I found one that will work with her laptop although she will not have a touchscreen. no biggie. I got the screen and the tools to replace the screen

22 minutes ago, Jared- said:

It's a Toshiba, throw it out. 

serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fm.memegen.com% LOL.. Toshibas are actually one of the better OEM's. I got her a new screen for 62 bucks and 22 for the tools. 

I beg to differ. I've had 6-7 in this family and only one had an issue, when my mainboard went out. the warranty work was stellar and the replacement was fast and quality. But my wife loves her laptop. it was a combo her/my fault. she had it in the way but the cramped living room, I should have been more careful. But I'll get it replaced and she'll be good to go

3 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

I beg to differ. I've had 6-7 in this family and only one had an issue, when my mainboard went out. the warranty work was stellar and the replacement was fast and quality. But my wife loves her laptop. it was a combo her/my fault. she had it in the way but the cramped living room, I should have been more careful. But I'll get it replaced and she'll be good to go

I totally agree. Both the Toshiba laptops we own, still have XP. Still run damn well. I spilled a beer on mine, and it sizzled pretty good. My mothers is still running, she uses it to pay bills with IE7. She doesn't listen. This is the third time in the last 5 years she's had fraud activity on her card, everytime it's IE. Anyways, Good job, Chris!

I wonder if that site has a screen for my old laptop that me son broke (he is using it as a desktop).

The laptop itself only cost about $1000, but it is an i7 so It'd be worth spending $100 or so.

I think I'll open it up tonight to check out the part number.

On 2/8/2016 at 10:46 PM, chrisj1968 said:

Your personal ownership means nothing.  When you look @ overall warranty repair percentage, and owner problems - patterns emerge.

Toshiba is garbage
HP is garbage (not talking about their business line)
Acer is among the worst garbage

Lenovo, Apple, and ASUS have the best dependability - 

So if you have had, what you believe what you believe to be, good luck with them - it is nothing but that.... and you should go to Vegas.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Shiranui said:

I wonder if that site has a screen for my old laptop that me son broke (he is using it as a desktop).

The laptop itself only cost about $1000, but it is an i7 so It'd be worth spending $100 or so.

I think I'll open it up tonight to check out the part number.

I have used SmartMicro USA - they are local but are popular online - great prices, all with the typical grade-rating system (A,B,C, etc) 

I just received a tracking number and USPS is saying that the screen and toolkit will arrive tomorrow sometime. new screen for $62-64. not bad. She's bummed it won't be touchscreen like this one is but she's started to warm up to the change :D 

4 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

I just received a tracking number and USPS is saying that the screen and toolkit will arrive tomorrow sometime. new screen for $62-64. not bad. She's bummed it won't be touchscreen like this one is but she's started to warm up to the change :D 

Did you try double checking the cables are seated properly? Could save you the money.

On 2/8/2016 at 11:15 PM, Jared- said:

It's a Toshiba, throw it out. 

I take it you've never owned an Acer . . .

35 minutes ago, DConnell said:

That too. And HP.

idk, I Have very little problems with the hp pro book 640 and elite book 1040 lines. Using them at work. 

Ordered the screen last night.

With the new screen due to arrive early next week, I took the opportunity last night to revisit with my son the circumstances of the original screen getting broken (as I never got a satisfying explanation at the time).

Turns out the little bugger got angry and punched it......

59 minutes ago, Shiranui said:

Ordered the screen last night.

With the new screen due to arrive early next week, I took the opportunity last night to revisit with my son the circumstances of the original screen getting broken (as I never got a satisfying explanation at the time).

Turns out the little bugger got angry and punched it......

Uh oh

6 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Did you try double checking the cables are seated properly? Could save you the money.

No I didn't. I'm hesitant being ham fisted on doing this without the tools. Plus my wife simply wants to replace the screen anyway.