Full 'Top Gear' line up revealed

Meet your new Top Gear presenters!

Full line-up revealed for TG telly’s return in May

tg_-line-up_maincloser_af1.jpg?itok=CJRs

People of the world, may we present the brand new Top Gear TV team!

We are very proud to announce that racing driver Sabine Schmitz, YouTube star Chris Harris, F1 pundit Eddie Jordan and motoring journalist Rory Reid will join Chris Evans, Matt LeBlanc and of course, The Stig, when the show returns in May.

Eddie Jordan you’ll remember, once ran his own Formula One team with drivers like Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill on the roster. He said: “I have such enormous respect for all my fellow presenters and I politely ask that they go easy on these old bones.”

Sabine will be no stranger to regular viewers of TG telly of course, having famously set a scorching lap time around the Nürburgring… in a Transit van. “I grew up next to the Nürburgring and have been racing for most of my life,” she said, “so the chance to combine both driving and filming was too good an opportunity to pass up.”

YouTube star Chris Harris said: “Top Gear is the thing that helped shape my life with cars, my perception of cars and my obsession with cars, and I’m raring to give it a go.

“I’m also quite gobby and happy to get into trouble. And if it all goes wrong, well, I can say I was once on Top Gear, and just head back to being that annoying small bloke off YouTube,” he added.

And remember our little shout out for public auditions? Step forward Rory Reid. “When I submitted my 30-second audition tape, I knew the odds were very firmly against me.

“To be the only person to make it through the open audition process makes me immensely proud. I’ve been a Top Gear fan for decades, but more than that, I live and breathe cars in a way that is perfectly compatible with the show,” he added.

The Stig of course, was his usual effusive self. “-.-. ……– .. . –..– / .– . .—-. .-. . / …. — – . .-.-.-“ Yeah, exactly.

TG will return to your screens this May, so stay tuned to TopGear.com for more updates…

Source: Top Gear website

Sabine is an interesting addition, and I think she fits the show, but there are too many people involved all in all. I guess it'll depend on the format maybe? 

So with double the people, should we expect double the length of each episode? How will this play in to their weekly competitions, will only three of them go out while the other three stay, or will they attempt to do something on a grander scale?

They've all got guts, I'll give them that. The bar is set (almost) impossibly high, so to sign on is pretty daring. I assume they know something about the new direction of the show that we can't imagine at this stage.

Well they have a bunch of people who are enthusiastic about cars which is something, and I guess that Eddie Jordan needed a job after the BBC dropped their F1 coverage ;)

I'll be watching this with no expectations so I could be pleasantly surprised.

I'll be holding my expectations high for Clarkson and team who I think started filming yesterday! Can't wait for that! Wonder if the Amazon 'Top Gear' will overtake GoT to become the most pirated show.

I'm still hoping they produce a decent car show. I don't need all the mucking about, i'll rely on Clarkson and crew for that (and hopefully some great car based reviews, laps etc).
I'm thinking the latest iteration of TG will return to the magazine style show more akin to Fifth Gear.

8 hours ago, MikeChipshop said:

I'm thinking the latest iteration of TG will return to the magazine style show more akin to Fifth Gear.

But no one watches Fifth Gear...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Thing was, people always bemoaned TG for not being a "Car show", although i don't agree with them, Fifth Gear was actually a pretty decent "Car Show". Yet you're right, no one really watched it.

2 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

Thing was, people always bemoaned TG for not being a "Car show", although i don't agree with them, Fifth Gear was actually a pretty decent "Car Show". Yet you're right, no one really watched it.

That's because all the people that wanted a real car show saw Fifth Gear and realised what they really wanted to see was 3 middle aged men acting like pillocks. :p

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

That's because all the people that wanted a real car show saw Fifth Gear and realised what they really wanted to see was 4 middle aged men acting like pillocks. :p

Absolutely!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Sszecret said:

The link isn't working for me (perhaps because I'm outside the UK). I'm guessing this is it? 

Thats the one :D

Ooof.  That video is getting torn up on YouTube  (~11K likes vs. ~41K dislikes).  

I'll give it a try when it comes out ... but I'm not getting my hopes up.  Chris Evans seems annoying ... and they seem (in this short trailer) to be trying to hard to replicate the chemistry the previous three hosts had...with too many people.

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/2/2016 at 3:22 PM, jjkusaf said:

Ooof.  That video is getting torn up on YouTube  (~11K likes vs. ~41K dislikes).  

I'll give it a try when it comes out ... but I'm not getting my hopes up.  Chris Evans seems annoying ... and they seem (in this short trailer) to be trying to hard to replicate the chemistry the previous three hosts had...with too many people.

Chris grows on you  mate. He is a genuine car lover, its not fake he has quite a collection of classic cars.

he was all over UK tv in the 90s and disappeared onscreen after saturating our market (he was producing a lot of productions), he came back to broadcasting a couple years back on BBC Radio 2 on the breakfast show. 

hes grown back into my favour with his funny banter in the mornings. 

Tbh since the tv special in Argentina the old crew had become cringeworthy and a bit embarassing, im hoping this will inject some new life into the franchise. Watching Clarkson since was like watching your mates dad be a bit of a infantile ######. 

On 2/10/2016 at 7:07 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

I did/do, I like Tiff :) the others not so much.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone watch the first episode yet?  It had some good parts ... like umm .. keeping "Jessica" as the opening song and The Stig listening to Grateful Dead's "Truckin'" at one part.

Chris Evans is ... simply put ... awful.  Cheers for a car going around a corner, goes woohoo for a car going through some water ... ugh ... he is just terrible.  He reminds me of that annoying high pitch kid that seems to be at every birthday party.  Annoying voice ... trying to hard to get a fairly quiet crowd involved during the lackluster "stars in a rallycross car"...sigh...which really wasn't a rallycross car.  They also ruined a perfectly good track for the stars to race on ... trying to mix it up by adding dirt, water and a jump.  /sigh

Matt LeBlanc wasn't bad in the cut scenes ... but out of his element(?) in the studio.  I think he would be ok ... but Chris has got to go.  

Other host? - really didn't get to see much of the others.

Rating: F-  ... or to put it another way ...  Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May are laughing.

6 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

Anyone watch the first episode yet?  It had some good parts ... like umm .. keeping "Jessica" as the opening song and The Stig listening to Grateful Dead's "Truckin'" at one part.

Chris Evans is ... simply put ... awful.  Cheers for a car going around a corner, goes woohoo for a car going through some water ... ugh ... he is just terrible.  He reminds me of that annoying high pitch kid that seems to be at every birthday party.  Annoying voice ... trying to hard to get a fairly quiet crowd involved during the lackluster "stars in a rallycross car"...sigh...which really wasn't a rallycross car.  They also ruined a perfectly good track for the stars to race on ... trying to mix it up by adding dirt, water and a jump.  /sigh

Matt LeBlanc wasn't bad in the cut scenes ... but out of his element(?) in the studio.  I think he would be ok ... but Chris has got to go.  

Other host? - really didn't get to see much of the others.

Rating: F-  ... or to put it another way ...  Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May are laughing.

I caught up with it this morning, and had similar feeling, when he was wooing during the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car :huh:

It had a few funny moments, but think they can only make so many jokes with reference to the old series before it starts to get a little old. It seems like Chris and Matt are the main hosts with the others dipping in an out, I saw on iPlayer this morning Top Gear: Extra Gear where I think they have extra scenes that didn't make the final show. I believe the other presenters are there. 

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed watching Matt...not to say he was great, just so much better than Chris. I'll keep watching it, but really looking for to the proper Top Gear!

I watched it with an open mind, however just couldn't get in to it.

The attempted humor just seemed so forced, where as historically on Top Gear even if it was all scripted the events came across as something funny that naturally happened.

More than anything what annoyed me is that Chris is at one end of the scale shouting all the time, than Matt is at the other end talking slow and quiet.

I'll watch next weeks episode and give the series a fair chance, however based on this weeks episode i don't think it's something ill enjoy watching, or that's going to keep my interest.

• Like 2