Blue Screen Stop 24 error on Windows 7

I bought a new Windows 7 Dell computer in October 2014 and since I bought it, I started experiencing the blue screen error Code 24, which forces the computer restart shortly after the blue screen appears. It started happening once every 2 months or so, but has recently become very frequent (occurring every 2-3 weeks). I tend to notice that 90%, it happens when I shut down. When it starts to shut down, the blue screen suddenly appears. It doesn't always happen when I shut down. It also occurs sometimes when I'm just browsing the internet, however, it seems to mostly happen when I'm shutting down.

I tried to fix this problem once and for all by reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows 7, but a couple of weeks later, the blue screen happened again right when Windows 7 was shutting down.

Does anyone know why this problem keeps happening and how I can fix this? All my drivers came with my computer, so I doubt the drivers could be the issue as I'm sure Dell would ensure that everything is compatible.

According to Microsoft, error 24 (an error in NTFS.sys, the filesystem driver) is caused by disk corruption. Try running CHKDSK on it. Click Start, Run, type cmd, hit Enter. Type in "chkdsk c: /f" without the quotes, substituting c: with whatever your system drive letter is. The system will need a reboot as the disk will be in use.

If it finds any errors and fixes them, let the system run for a while, then try shutting it down again. If it still happens we'll need to look into your hard drive, as it may have a problem, either mechanical or electrical.

Ok, just did the chkdsk. Looks like it didn't find anything. Here are the results....

Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is OS. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)... 272384 file records processed. File verification completed. 785 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 91 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)... 333090 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)... 272384 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 2882 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 2882 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 2882 unused security descriptors. Security descriptor verification completed. 30354 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 34174176 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. 951322623 KB total disk space. 247979124 KB in 163662 files. 117804 KB in 30355 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 403415 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 702822280 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 237830655 total allocation units on disk. 175705570 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 28 04 00 ed f5 02 00 1c a5 05 00 00 00 00 00 .(.............. 3c 0d 00 00 5b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 <...[........... 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................ Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.

Do you think it's possible that this could be a Windows 7 issue? The reason I ask is because I'm eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 and if upgrading to 10 will resolve the issue, I'll gladly do so.

• 2 months later...

Funny. At the end of February, I went ahead and upgraded to Windows 10 and haven't had the blue screen problem since. I think it's safe to say that it's a Windows 7 issue and that 7 is not as good as people claim it is. I don't know why people say it's so great. Like I said, I reinstalled 7 and still had the blue screen problem before and now that I upgraded to 10, the problem is gone. I think it had something to do with the way Windows 7 was closing my programs. It must've been corrupting something because it always seemed to happened when I either closed Firefox or shut down the computer.

Anyways, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Windows 10 continues to be successful for me...