A question for iOS Developers

Question

This question isn't directly related to app development, but I am hoping some app developers can help.

I work for a marketing company, we get most of our traffic from Facebook via various pages. 90% of our audience is mobile and most of that is iOS... Android is second.

We generally handle thousands of users each day. We share links which our user click to visit a specific website or whatever...

When a user clicks a link we're able to track that click and store it in a database, we then drop a cookie to track them on the end website.

Link clicks and cookie drop stats are generally very similar. 1 click = 1 cookie drop

Over the last few months we have noticed a massive decline in cookie tracking, but the link clicks are going up yet cookie stats are going down each day and at the moment we're at a 60% loss of users with no sign of slowing down...

This tells us that when a visitor is clicking on a link on Facebook, and being redirected to the end site, the cookie or something else is being lost in translation and failing to track the user.

We can't find any technical issue with our system so we are now looking at Facebook.. As most of you know Facebook uses it's own in app browser, we're starting to wonder if iOS or Facebook has recently changed anything that could impact what we're doing?

Is there any way we can debug it? or be able to see whats actually happening?

I appreciate this is a really hard question to answer, we're basically clutching at straws now and hoping any app developers will know something we don't that might have changed in FB or iOS.
a
We're not doing anything underhanded, it's a simple header redirect with PHP which simply tracks the click and then sends them off to a specific website, in that process a cookie is dropped which allows us to track them after they leave our domain.. the problem is the tracking via the cookie isn't being registered, as if the cookie isn't being set or something.

Any input at all is great appreciated 

2 answers to this question

A lot of browsers are blocking third party cookies by default now. There's the 'Do Not Track' option for instance. Are you or your partners honouring that request?

Then there's the nuclear option against advertisers that don't honour the 'Do Not Track' that many users are now employing, including myself. In Firefox it's accessible via about:config's setting privacy.trackingprotection.enabled. I have it enabled and it improves browser performance significantly. I'm assuming other Browsers have similar features. I believe certain popular plugins such as NoScript have an analog too (noscript.doNotTrack.enabled).

As it pertains to iOS, I'm assuming Webkit provides something similar.

5 hours ago, simplezz said:

A lot of browsers are blocking third party cookies by default now. There's the 'Do Not Track' option for instance. Are you or your partners honouring that request?

Then there's the nuclear option against advertisers that don't honour the 'Do Not Track' that many users are now employing, including myself. In Firefox it's accessible via about:config's setting privacy.trackingprotection.enabled. I have it enabled and it improves browser performance significantly. I'm assuming other Browsers have similar features. I believe certain popular plugins such as NoScript have an analog too (noscript.doNotTrack.enabled).

As it pertains to iOS, I'm assuming Webkit provides something similar.

Yeah I heard about that, but pretty sure Facebook ignores it.