Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Adds Unity-Style Desktop Layout

simonlang

Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Beta 1 is heading out the door this Thursday — but it’s borrowing a familiar set of clothes for its debut…

Teased by Ubuntu MATE on social media is the following screenshot of something that shows a Unity-style layout for the MATE desktop complete with a global menu and a left-hand app launcher.

Cb2v_Y8XIAEsHNP.thumb.jpg.5078c8841a28ef

“There’s a Mutiny coming!,” the Ubuntu MATE team teases. “Yes, that is a top menu. Yes, this is Ubuntu MATE. See you Thursday for the Beta 1 release!”.

If you use MATE because you like your desktop looking a little more 2000s do not panic: the Mutiny panel layout is not shipping as the default setting and is entirely optional.

The Mutiny panel layout uses two panels to mimic the look of Unity:

A 24px top panel with topmenu-gtk applet, an indication and system notification area, a clock applet and a session management button.

The 48px left panel with a menu applet, dock applet, workspace switcher and trash can.

If you’re already running the latest Ubuntu MATE 16.04 builds you can try The Mutiny layout for yourself:

Open Ubuntu MATE Settings
Panel Layouts > ‘Munity’ (or  ‘Mutiny Fresh’)

source

@neowin: it's highly annoying that posting is so restricted here. i tried about 5 times to post that topic and always got an error. so i have to manually post it with only a link and a pic and add the text later on. for sure, this can't be normal.

• Like 3
Unobscured Vision

Well, well. Interesting that they achieved that layout without too much effort.

Something to be learned here. :shifty:

• Like 1
simplezz

Gonna give this a try on my netbook. I like Unity but it's quite resource intensive. This seems like a good compromise.

• Like 1
James7

This is interesting indeed. I did like Unity in some ways, and I loved old Gnome. I used MATE for a while. I've been using XFCE (via Ubuntu Studio) set up like MATE/old Gnome for a while, though.

simonlang

so it's there. together with a few other layouts. interesting options for a relatively lightweight DE like mate.

IMAG0118.thumb.jpg.77ab98b17686df60ddcba