Trying to learn everything in JavaScript, all Libraries, pretty much need to know everything.

Question

I'm trying to learn pretty much everything in Javascript. 

My problem is that I've tried watching video tutorials, I've tried following along with tutorials, I've tried reading documentation and even CodeAcademy, but for some reason I can't get that information to say in my head.

Has anyone got any tips or advice?

Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Hahahahahahaha.

give up.

Learn a sane programming language like C or assembly, then try to learn javascript. The basics are the same but it has a lot of idiosyncrasies and the API isn't very sane.

Seriously, practice practice, practice. You wont get everything, but you might learn enough to pass a test or something.

6 minutes ago, greenwizard88 said:

Hahahahahahaha.

give up.

Learn a sane programming language like C or assembly, then try to learn javascript. The basics are the same but it has a lot of idiosyncrasies and the API isn't very sane.

Seriously, practice practice, practice. You wont get everything, but you might learn enough to pass a test or something.

I kinda have to use JavaScript for my job :(

I find that with anything these days, There is so much information on the internet even the obscure stuff, Not saying that Javascript is obscure, I remember doing it ten years ago. You need it for your job?? Do they provide training? Some people prefer classroom learning. I am sure there are courses run on it somewhere. Personally prefer the hands on approach. Have a look over to Github and look at some of the Javascript projects over there and try fork them and see how they work. 

Learning an entire language is nearly impossible. It's like memorizing every word in the English language. Most developers memorize the necessary stuff like the concepts of object oriented design, variables, classes, subclasses, inheritance, and then if they need a specific library, they Google it. I don't have a ton of experience with JS but it is similar to other languages (except a lot more limited and a lot slower). Try to learn the basics and don't cram it, it takes time to understand.

13 hours ago, illage3 said:

I'm trying to learn pretty much everything in Javascript. 

My problem is that I've tried watching video tutorials, I've tried following along with tutorials, I've tried reading documentation and even CodeAcademy, but for some reason I can't get that information to say in my head.

Has anyone got any tips or advice?

Thanks.

You should also take a look at CoffeeScript:

http://coffeescript.org/

Here's a little blurb about it:

"CoffeeScript is a little language that compiles into JavaScript. Underneath that awkward Java-esque patina, JavaScript has always had a gorgeous heart. CoffeeScript is an attempt to expose the good parts of JavaScript in a simple way.

"The golden rule of CoffeeScript is: "It's just JavaScript". The code compiles one-to-one into the equivalent JS, and there is no interpretation at runtime. You can use any existing JavaScript library seamlessly from CoffeeScript (and vice-versa). The compiled output is readable and pretty-printed, will work in every JavaScript runtime, and tends to run as fast or faster than the equivalent handwritten JavaScript."

Typescript seems to be taking more of a lead in the compiled JS landscape these days - especially considering the latest version of Angular is built using it.

13 hours ago, greenwizard88 said:

Learn a sane programming language like C or assembly, then try to learn javascript. 

Well I definitely wouldn't give those examples as 'sane programming languages'.

On 3/1/2016 at 10:08 AM, John Teacake said:

I find that with anything these days, There is so much information on the internet even the obscure stuff, Not saying that Javascript is obscure, I remember doing it ten years ago. You need it for your job?? Do they provide training? Some people prefer classroom learning. I am sure there are courses run on it somewhere. Personally prefer the hands on approach. Have a look over to Github and look at some of the Javascript projects over there and try fork them and see how they work. 

Good idea, might have to give that a try. 

If the smartest programmers on the planet got together with a lot of mind-altering drugs to make a programming system that seems at first like it might work but will drag everyone screaming into a black hole maze of twisty little passages and no human will ever understand all of it and every person caught in the maze will see a different part of it so nobody can agree on anything and there is 100 ways to naviagte through the mess but at any moment in time it is intuitive to only a single human being who blogs on how easy it all is so the endless trap cycles yet again, then...

they would invent HTML, CSS and Javascript...

You need to understand the truth of that and never get discouraged or feel inadequate because it is a giant feakin mess.

Bite off small working chunks - the game samples on Kahn Academy or snippets found on CodePen...

• Like 2