Ian McShane To Star In "American Gods"

Deadwood star Ian McShane has been cast in Starz’s adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s American Gods.

McShane will play Mr. Wednesday, the mysterious drifter who employs Shadow Moon, played by Ricky Whittle, when Shadow gets out of prison. The duo embark on a cross-country road trip that leads up to a clash between gods old and new.

According to THR, McShane’s Mr. Wednesday is described as “powerful and charismatic — a Casanova of sorts — who is a con man and an incarnation of All-Father Odin, who's traveling America recruiting his fellow forgotten deities to wage an epic battle
against the new American gods.”

Read the rest: http://comicbook.com/2016/03/02/ian-mcshane-to-star-in-american-gods/

• 1 year later...

Trailer for the upcoming series.

When Shadow Moon is released from prison, he meets the mysterious Mr. Wednesday and a storm begins to brew. Little does Shadow know, this storm will change the course of his entire life. Left adrift by the recent, tragic death of his wife, and suddenly hired as Mr. Wednesday’s bodyguard, Shadow finds himself in the center of a world that he struggles to understand. It’s a world where magic is real, where the Old Gods fear both irrelevance and the growing power of the New Gods, like Technology and Media. Mr. Wednesday seeks to build a coalition of Old Gods to defend their existence in this new America, and reclaim some of the influence that they’ve lost. As Shadow travels across the country with Mr. Wednesday, he struggles to accept this new reality, and his place in it.

Premieres April 30th on STARZ

• Like 1

I found out about Neil through Pratchett. 

But I really like some of his work. 

This is one of them. So I am REALLY looking towards the show.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Mixed feelings so far. I don't like the dream sequences and the slow motion with loud music scenes. The Bilquis scene had some laughable CGI, although, admittedly, it is a difficult one to film.

Anyone else seen the first episode?

On 5/2/2017 at 7:28 AM, Luc2k said:

Mixed feelings so far. I don't like the dream sequences and the slow motion with loud music scenes. The Bilquis scene had some laughable CGI, although, admittedly, it is a difficult one to film.

Ya watched it and enjoyed it, kind of had that Hannibal feel to it. Not sure where the story is going but Im in for at least the first season.

• Like 1

On 2017-5-2 at 6:28 AM, Luc2k said:

yeah the Bilquis scene was pretty bad CGI :/

Never heard of the books, decided to give ep 1-2 a go because of the good reviews going around.  Like the plot, timing is weird. My best word to describe this would be eccentric .

Also, Ian McShane seems to make the show so far.

2 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

yeah the Bilquis scene was pretty bad CGI :/

Never heard of the books, decided to give ep 1-2 a go because of the good reviews going around.  Like the plot, timing is weird. My best word to describe this would be eccentric .

Also, Ian McShane seems to make the show so far.

I've read/listened to the book several years ago, so the particulars of the plot are a bit fuzzy, but there seemed to be a gap between the plane and the meeting in the bar. Shadow was really angry about being asked to work after he declined politely on the plane.

Most of the characters so far even sound like in the audiobook, it's just that the pacing was really odd in the first episode. At any rate, I'm going to give the 2nd a whirl.

• Like 1

This was really disappointing, from the modern social commentary (anachronistic on a slave ship) to erect penises to bad pacing (yet again). Only thanks to Chernabog (Peter Stormare) it wasn't a total waste.

I think the show is pretty enjoyable. Visually stunning. The opening to episode 3 with the "Somewhere in America" vignette with Anubis gave me chills once they started walking up the stairs. I wasn't the biggest fan of Hannibal - I thought the show struggled trying to figure out what it wants to be, and once they figured it out it wasn't something that I particularly enjoyed, but everything I didn't really like there, works so much better here. The book itself had a very dreamlike, adult fairy tale feel to it, which I think the show captures perfectly (even when they adapt a super explicit gay sex scene, they give it a fantasy quality). So far they've been balancing the plot with the visuals nicely, let's just hope they don't turn it into Hannibal where in the late stages of the show, I swear half the episodes were just slow motion shots of blood dripping, intersected by pretentious dialogues.

I read the book a few years ago, but I really don't remember much, so watching it is more a case of recognizing plot elements as they play out rather than predicting them, but I don't think it really matters here, anyway. It's more about the atmosphere and the mythology, than actual plot details, but even with that in mind, they seem to be doing a decent job of following it.

Casting and characters seem good so far. Wednesday is fantastic. Crnobog was pretty good, too. Shadow is the biggest risk the show has, because he is pretty passive and in such a state of mind where he lets most things play out, rather than actively trying to influence them, which I could see make people not really invested. But it pays off in the end.

Overall, as I said, enjoyable. I also read that Gaiman said that he hopes that the success of this show opens the door to a potential Sandman TV adaptation, which would be fantastic, so let's hope it does well.

Loving the show so far.    Better then I expected.   The music and atmosphere is great and acting too.   I like the Shadow acting passive as well. That is how he was in the book as far as I can remember (it's being a while)

OK, the 4 minutes explicit gay sex scene was a bit too much.  I mean holy bullcrap, this is like highly graphic!

I will also get extremely weird looks from the people I highly recommended this show to. Considering some of them are quite homophobic, LOL. 

Not sure what reactions I should expect now. Funny how I don't remember it from the book.  I guess I did not care.... not until it was video in a show I recommended to many others.... :rolleyes:

But otherwise, I loved every bit of the last episode.  

The scene could have been shorter, otherwise I didn't care, and like you, I couldn't remember it from the book, so I obviously didn't care back then either. The show is definitely explicit, I didn't even know you can show an erect penis on TV, and this one had like three already. But it's not really that bad, and as I said, they make sure it fits in well with the feel of the show. The shot of that guy floating in the space vagina from the previous episode was hilarious to me.

12 hours ago, Syanide said:

The scene could have been shorter, otherwise I didn't care, and like you, I couldn't remember it from the book, so I obviously didn't care back then either. The show is definitely explicit, I didn't even know you can show an erect penis on TV, and this one had like three already. But it's not really that bad, and as I said, they make sure it fits in well with the feel of the show. The shot of that guy floating in the space vagina from the previous episode was hilarious to me.

It can't be shown on a non-premium channel and it's extremely rare that a premium channel chooses to do it, due to backlash they might receive.  I had to laugh at the guy with the boner inside the vagina galaxy though.

18 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

OK, the 4 minutes explicit gay sex scene was a bit too much.  I mean holy bullcrap, this is like highly graphic!

I will also get extremely weird looks from the people I highly recommended this show to. Considering some of them are quite homophobic, LOL. 

Not sure what reactions I should expect now. Funny how I don't remember it from the book.  I guess I did not care.... not until it was video in a show I recommended to many others.... :rolleyes:

But otherwise, I loved every bit of the last episode.  

Except for the initial shot of the very fake prosthetic penis, I didn't find it all that graphic.  It's not like they showed actual penetration.  It was no more graphic than every other regular sex scene you see on TV.

3 hours ago, kjordan2001 said:

Except for the initial shot of the very fake prosthetic penis, I didn't find it all that graphic.  It's not like they showed actual penetration.  It was no more graphic than every other regular sex scene you see on TV.

Most news outlets disagree. ;) This is the most graphic gay scene ever seen on prime time TV show.   And that fake penis was quite unexpected. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched episode 3, It's quite a weird show but that makes it interesting.

I haven't read the book(s?) but I feel they are trying to feed you the information in a similar vagueness that Shadow is receiving it.  I feel like I have to keep watching to find out more.

The fertility godess scenes are a little awkward, when I saw that I decided NOT to recommend it to my Mum.  The gay sex scene was somewhat odd but I'm sure it contributes to the Djinn's story/character.  I didn't find it uncomfortable but I was questioning it's relevance (which I'm sure will reveal itself).