Sony confirms closure of Evolution Studios

Evolution Studios, the developer behind franchises like World Rally Championship and MotorStorm, has been shut down by Sony, we've just learned. The company's most recent DriveClub was a troubled project for the studio and Sony, having seen delays and online problems - 55 people had been cut from Evolution just one year ago. Now, Sony has made the tough decision to make the rest of the Evolution staff redundant.

In the complete statement, which you can read below, Sony said it would try to reallocate some of the Evolution team to other studios, but the company's aware that it may also lose some serious talent.

Regular reviews take place throughout SCE Worldwide Studios, ensuring that the resources that we have in such a competitive landscape can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects.

As part of this process we have reviewed and assessed all current projects and plans for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to the European studios structure.

As a result, it has been decided that Evolution Studio will close.

It is regrettable that this decision will lead to compulsory redundancies. We accept that this decision will mean that we risk losing high calibre staff but by focusing on other Studios that already have exciting new projects in development we believe we will be in a stronger position going forward and able to offer the best possible content of the highest quality for our consumers.

Where possible we will try to reallocate people onto other projects. If appropriate opportunities are not possible within the company, we will assist staff in any way we can, including speaking with local employers and with other development companies.

Evolution has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios for over 10 years - working on ground-breaking racing titles like WRC, Motorstorm and DRIVECLUB.

This decision should not take anything away from the great work that Evolution has produced.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-03-22-sony-confirms-closure-of-evolution-studio

Terrible decision :| They turned DC around into something great.

Anyway, ######'s sake, Sony. :/ Like @Audioboxersaid, they'd sorted out Driveclub and it's now one of the better arcade racers around; in my opinion, it's the closest thing we've got this generation to a new Project Gotham Racing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MightyJordan said:

They'd probably get quite a bit of flak if they did that, considering they shut down down another UK developer just a fortnight ago.

Ironic, isn't it. And what is even more sad is that MS moved their Lionhead employees into the Xbox division. Sony is letting some of their better talent go. Sounds like Sony needs to throw their own job fair to keep their employees hired.

55 minutes ago, Kvally said:

Ironic, isn't it. And what is even more sad is that MS moved their Lionhead employees into the Xbox division. Sony is letting some of their better talent go. Sounds like Sony needs to throw their own job fair to keep their employees hired.

Straight from the OP:

Where possible we will try to reallocate people onto other projects. If appropriate opportunities are not possible within the company, we will assist staff in any way we can, including speaking with local employers and with other development companies.

Exactly what MS said and are doing for the Lionhead, Press Play and their Kinect studios.

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

Straight from the OP:

Exactly what MS said and are doing for the Lionhead, Press Play and their Kinect studios.

Nope, not the same at all. You missed this important part:

We accept that this decision will mean that we risk losing high calibre staff but by focusing on other Studios that already have exciting new projects in development we believe we will be in a stronger position going forward and able to offer the best possible content of the highest quality for our consumers.

Bummer that Sony had to go and screw over these people at the studio. Not surprised, seems like Sony's first party studios continue to dwindle. 

14 hours ago, President Devil said:

g64AuCq.png

HAHAHAHHA...now tha tis GOOD!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kvally said:

Nope, not the same at all. You missed this important part:

Bummer that Sony had to go and screw over these people at the studio. Not surprised, seems like Sony's first party studios continue to dwindle. 

HAHAHAHHA...now tha tis GOOD!!!

Any company that closes studios risks losing staff. MS included, hence why Sony reached out to Lionhead et al with their own job fair offer. If you think nobody was lost when MS closed their studios, then you're kidding yourself.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Any company that closes studios risks losing staff. MS included, hence why Sony reached out to Lionhead et al with their own job fair offer. If you think nobody was lost when MS closed their studios, then you're kidding yourself.

Spin it Andrew. You are doing a great job at it. It really is a bummer that Sony went this route, and plain embarrassed the ###### out of them selves throwing a job fair for MS employees when they dump their own. Pathetic. 

I assume Polyphony is on the chopping block next.

1 minute ago, Kvally said:

Spin it Andrew. You are doing a great job at it. It really is a bummer that Sony went this route, and plain embarrassed the ###### out of them selves throwing a job fair for MS employees when they dump their own. Pathetic. 

I assume Polyphony is on the chopping block next.

And you wish for MS to "embarrass" themselves by throwing a job fair for Evo, when they closed multiple studios of their own two weeks ago? :huh:

You can stop feigning concern now, Brian :no:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

And you wish for MS to "embarrass" themselves by throwing a job fair for Evo, when they closed multiple studios of their own two weeks ago? :huh:

You can stop feigning concern now, Brian :no:

It's called sarcasm here in the states. :|

2 minutes ago, Kvally said:

It's called sarcasm here in the states. :|

Again, glad to see you find the situation so funny with people's livelihoods on the line (Y) True colours showing indeed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Again, glad to see you find the situation so funny with people's livelihoods on the line (Y) True colours showing indeed.

Way to pretend to take the upper hand Andrew. You are not fooling anyone. :rofl:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kvally said:

Way to pretend to take the upper hand Andrew. You are not fooling anyone. :rofl:

Are you done yet? Lay offs suck, period.

You can't keep everyone, and every situation isn't going to be fairy tale rainbows, no matter how you spin it. Furthermore, does anyone here really think Sony or anyone else is going to say anything less than what they did?  I don't think a decent company would go over to you and say, "Hey buddy, we like ya, you do good work, but not good enough to fight for ya. Sorry champ!", let alone make disparaging remarks. Being a "high caliber employee" doesn't mean a whole lot, unless you're getting a raise or a promotion. That's just business speak that keeps the peace.

That being said, I really don't care if you like Microsoft or Sony. Let's just cut the crap that you give a damn about the welfare of these people, as you go on laughing like Sony being a "grim reaper" taking people's jobs away is something to laugh about. It isn't. I don't laugh when Microsoft does it, and I won't laugh when Sony does it.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2016 at 7:51 PM, dead.cell said:

Are you done yet? Lay offs suck, period.

You can't keep everyone, and every situation isn't going to be fairy tale rainbows, no matter how you spin it. Furthermore, does anyone here really think Sony or anyone else is going to say anything less than what they did?  I don't think a decent company would go over to you and say, "Hey buddy, we like ya, you do good work, but not good enough to fight for ya. Sorry champ!", let alone make disparaging remarks. Being a "high caliber employee" doesn't mean a whole lot, unless you're getting a raise or a promotion. That's just business speak that keeps the peace.

That being said, I really don't care if you like Microsoft or Sony. Let's just cut the crap that you give a damn about the welfare of these people, as you go on laughing like Sony being a "grim reaper" taking people's jobs away is something to laugh about. It isn't. I don't laugh when Microsoft does it, and I won't laugh when Sony does it.

Am I done yet? Yup!

I know lay offs suck. My company has done them quite often in the 17 years I have worked for them. And of course we know that these announcements will have a PR tone to them. It's the industry standard to do that, and it makes sense. It's the professional route.

As a corporation, I am not a fan of Microsoft or Sony. However, I am a fan of their employees and all their hard work. Not only that, but I am a fan of their families and the food that they have to put on the table each and every day. I am not a fan of double standards on the internet and the communities, and I am not afraid to call people out. To me that is worse than finding layoffs entertaining.

Layoffs are inevitable, but if we can work towards a solution to prevent them in the future, and aid in those that get the notice, lets all do it.