Is there really a difference between 1600 and 1866 RAM?

My RAM is going and it's time to replace them. I have G Skill Sniper 1866 in right now but everything I read says 1866 isn't necessary, 1600 is more than enough. I see things online, but I trust you guys more than anyone else. I just need a simple answer, is 1866 worth it again or should I go to 1600? Thanks!

• zhangm changed the title to Is there really a difference between 1600 and 1866 RAM?

generally, the slightly faster RAM isnt that much more expensive. I'd go for it.

As Floopydoodle said, it's a guarantee for overclocking that your RAM is up to the task. typically, then your computer POSTs, it'll set the RAM to whatever speed is supported by the motherboard and CPU. We'll say, for this example, that it's 1600MHz. Motherboards will generally allow the user to change the memory speed, either manually or through XMP. even though you wont notice a performance difference, i'd still want the extra speed.

(edit) i just did a very quick search on Newegg. they had 8GB kits of 1866 for $5 less than the 1600 kits.

• Like 1

The difference is: NOT MUCH.

You won't gain massive amounts of bandwith and get higher latency in return depending on the quality of the RAM and the settings you can adjust for it.

• Like 2

Yeah so if the price difference isn't the much, might as well stick with 1866. Thanks guys. You have no idea how helpful this place has been in the years since I've been a member.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

RAM speed will have zero human perceptual difference over a very large speed differential.

If you can get slow enough RAM to cover the cost  of adding more RAM, then that can easily be noticed.

• Brandon H locked this topic