• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Gears of War 4 coming October 11th.

Andrew    2,860
33 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

No doubt, I don't think you've been impressed with one Microsoft exclusive since launch. 

I'm not sure why people expected massive changes over the last gears? How longs it been between drinks for a new Gears game now? We just want some of the old don't we? 

I don't think I have either. They've been too reliant on sequels and HD remasters :( But that's besides the point.

I don't expect "massive" changes, but I certainly don't expect them to go backwards either (N)

George P    5,365

I don't see where they've went backwards exactly?    Gears has always and will always be a cover based 3rd person shooter, the core of the game isn't going to change, it stops being gears if it does.  They've added on top of that, with the new moves and new weapons, but the core is still there.   Running from cover to cover, trying to control the map and making sure you're not getting flanked, it's what people expect. 

Andrew    2,860
42 minutes ago, George P said:

I don't see where they've went backwards exactly?    Gears has always and will always be a cover based 3rd person shooter, the core of the game isn't going to change, it stops being gears if it does.  They've added on top of that, with the new moves and new weapons, but the core is still there.   Running from cover to cover, trying to control the map and making sure you're not getting flanked, it's what people expect. 

I've never said anything about them changing it away from the formula or "core" of the series. We all saw how badly that went with Judgment.

+InsaneNutter    1,335

I don't think the Gears of War 4 Beta was bad, however I don't really think it was anything special either when compared to previous Gears games either.

Personally I think that's the problem for me, I’m a big fan of the series and have played all the previous games and find myself thinking can I really be bothered buying another Gears game? This will be the 5th Gears game in 10 years, the novelty / uniqueness of the series has worn off for me.

The first Gears was amazing, I had never personally played a 3rd person shooter like it before. The detail in the game was stunning at the time, it integrated perfect with the 360 Xbox Live / achievement concept which was also pretty new at the time. I also personally liked how the first was one of the few games which had a server list and not match making. I liked been able to host a game, set the maps / game mode and just playing with friends and having random people join.

Horde mode in Gears 2 was a great addition, although the match making sucked which kinda spoiled multiplayer in my opinion.

Gears 3 finished the trilogy off and the multiplayer was pretty good, match making improved but tbh I still wish games didn’t use it as I find it’s pretty unbalanced a lot of the time. I know it’s standard on pretty much all games these days so that’s not going to change.

I can’t help but think new games are just being churned out because the franchise will sell now. Unless something amazing is show at E3 campaign wise I don’t think ill be rushing to buy Gears 4 when it’s released.

Likewise with Halo, 7 games in to the franchise and it’s hard to get excited about a new games anymore… Maybe i’ve just been playing games for too long now, who knows?!

• Like 1

Andrew    2,860
4 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

snip

I can’t help but think new games are just being churned out because the franchise will sell now. Unless something amazing is show at E3 campaign wise I don’t think ill be rushing to buy Gears 4 when it’s released.

Likewise with Halo, 7 games in to the franchise and it’s hard to get excited about a new games anymore… Maybe i’ve just been playing games for too long now, who knows?!

It's not just you, I was tired of MS' line-up and their 4 crutches (Halo, Gears, Forza and Fable), way back in 2010/11. It doesn't look like they have any plans to stop either, not with The Coalition existing as their dedicated Gears studios, along with 343 and T10 for their respective games.

Vandalsquad    513
On 5/3/2016 at 10:40 PM, Andrew said:

I don't think I have either. They've been too reliant on sequels and HD remasters :( But that's besides the point.

I don't expect "massive" changes, but I certainly don't expect them to go backwards either (N)

Uncharted? And Killzone? (Hopefully dead for good..) And Gran Turismo when ever we get it. For arguments sake you could say the only decent new exclusive IP Sony has had this gen has been Bloodborne.. But that's off topic.

Gears has always been about the single player story and co-op to me over the multi player. So as long as that holds candle to the last 3 that's all I'll ask for. 

Andrew    2,860
2 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

Uncharted? And Killzone? (Hopefully dead for good..) And Gran Turismo when ever we get it. For arguments sake you could say the only decent new exclusive IP Sony has had this gen has been Bloodborne.. But that's off topic.

Gears has always been about the single player story and co-op to me over the multi player. So as long as that holds candle to the last 3 that's all I'll ask for. 

It is off topic because the topic is not about Sony and a silly attempt to start console war non-sense (N)

If you're happy with the game, good for you (Y)