• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Magic Mouse 2 Owners?

Chicane-UK    675

Interested to know if any other Neowin mac owners have one of these mice.

I've previously always just used basic Microsoft optical mice over the years but decided to splash out on the Magic Mouse 2. Initial impressions were unfavourable really down to the shape but I did get used to it after a week or two. However what has become increasingly frustrating is just the general operation of the thing - phantom clicks and phantom drags all down to the extremely sensitive touch panel up top. My experience of pretty much all Apple kit has been overwhelmingly positive - I own a Mac at work and at home, both my phones are iPhones, etc - been a happy customer for years. But this mouse honestly is a triumph of form over function in a way I've never experienced before. I hate it. Have just switched it off and plugged back in my wired mouse and considering sending it back.

Anyone else got one? Anyone happy with theirs?!

+virtorio    3,239

I never had any kind of phantom click or drag issues with the first Magic Mouse (and I frequently used the touch gestures). I did eventually get pain in my hand and arm after using it for a while, and when I switched back to a more standard mouse that problem went away.

game_over    802

I love my magic mouse but yeah phantom drags are a thing, can't say i've had phantom clicks problem.

It does take some getting used to, I now hate using other mice, especially if they are bulky, feels weird.

giantsnyy    57

I've been using them for years... I use the Magic Trackpad now, but I still have all 10 of my Magic Mice.

I think they're great.  I've never experienced the "phantom drag" or "phantom click" problem.  The only issue I had was ergonomics.  Sometimes, especially after a lot of usage (8+ hours), my hand and wrist would start bothering me.

Cnónna    671

I think of optical mice in the same category as the old ball  mice of day's gone by, rubbish and should be binned, laser mouse or nothing for me,

I've had many a mouse over the years and most never lasted more than a year, either cause the sensor was too much of a pain to clean or the pads would come off or gum up with gunk.

I have a R.A.T. 7 for almost 3 years now and it's great. it's customisable shape  sides that can me moved in and out. right hand side has replaceable parts to suit your hand same goes for the palm rest. think the side and palm rest both have 3 changeable parts.

laser is almost perfect and a simple blow on it sorts out and issues, a very good mouse by madcatz IMO.

if when it finally craps out I'll be getting another R.A.T straight away.

transform-top.jpg

Oh and it's built like a tank :D

Chicane-UK    675

Funnily enough my home mouse was a RAT5 but the left click started to fail on that. I ordered replacement microswitches from eBay and had a go at replacing them but the mouse doesn't quite work the same any more since I took it apart :( Was worth a go at fixing it for the cost of a couple of microswitches though I guess. So replaced it with a Razer gaming mouse of some type.

I should have said that I'm getting phantom drags rather than clicks, but the way they manifest themselves sometimes seems like a click (like you click a dropdown box and it immediately clears again as if you've clicked outside of it - can happen 5-6 times in a row before it stops!) I've virtually disabled all the gestures in the Mouse Preferences pane but it's still bugging me so. Not sure what to do with the thing. Hmm...

+jamesyfx    362

I need a decent Bluetooth mouse, and the Magic Mouse 2 seems like the best option... but I've had the original Magic Mouse before and I couldn't use it. I hated the 2 strips at the bottom, they were so solid, it grinded against a lot of surfaces instead of silently gliding across. Has that material been changed at all?

Quillz    1,011
5 hours ago, jamesyfx said:

I need a decent Bluetooth mouse, and the Magic Mouse 2 seems like the best option... but I've had the original Magic Mouse before and I couldn't use it. I hated the 2 strips at the bottom, they were so solid, it grinded against a lot of surfaces instead of silently gliding across. Has that material been changed at all?

From what I can tell, no. Only notable difference is Magic Mouse 2 has a built-in battery now.

Frankly, I'm not a fan. Found it far too uncomfortable to use, and there just isn't enough space to perform most of the gestures smoothly. I find the Magic Trackpad a far better option. Of course, I've since moved to a Logitech trackball, as for me, it's much more comfortable.

adrynalyne    13,027
6 minutes ago, Quillz said:

From what I can tell, no. Only notable difference is Magic Mouse 2 has a built-in battery now.

Frankly, I'm not a fan. Found it far too uncomfortable to use, and there just isn't enough space to perform most of the gestures smoothly. I find the Magic Trackpad a far better option. Of course, I've since moved to a Logitech trackball, as for me, it's much more comfortable.

Don't forget you cannot use it while it is charging. 

BinaryData    777

I've actually been looking for a good mouse to go with my Orion Spark Keyboard, but after reading all these responses, I'm not going to get one.

farmeunit    690

I stick with Logitech for mice.  I got a G502 over Christmas because it was half off.  I had a G5 and some MX mice before that.  They just seem to fit my hand better than most so have stay with them.

Nick H.    10,270
On 4/11/2016 at 1:29 PM, Cnónna said:

if when it finally craps out I'll be getting another R.A.T straight away.

transform-top.jpg

Oh and it's built like a tank :D

Every time I see this mouse I can't understand if I love it or if it looks hideous. It really doesn't look comfortable, but I guess if you've been using it for over 3 years you don't notice any issues?

Active.    1,697

This is pretty much where mouse design peaked

microsoft-basic-mouse.jpg

The Magic Mouse is basically a more comfortable version of this one:

iu.jpeg

It sort of, kind of works if you grab it with your fingertips only

• Like 1

Cnónna    671
59 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Every time I see this mouse I can't understand if I love it or if it looks hideous. It really doesn't look comfortable, but I guess if you've been using it for over 3 years you don't notice any issues?

I know it looks weird, and uncomfortable but it's great. anyone I've recommended it to and who ended up getting one, has said the same. 

the modular design lets you shape it to suit. movable left hand side that swings in or out to suit different hand sizes, the right hand side has different sides that you can screw on  one even has a pinky finger rest (I use that one). then the palm rest has three wee rests that slide in and clamp on with spring hing. onw low. one normal(i'd guess you'd call it) and a tall one.( I use the tall one)

button above the scroll wheel to change sensitivity. and one on the left hand side just below the backwards and forwards button for precision mousing( nice for sniping in games)

it's a great wee (okay bigish) mouse.  being a laser mouse ticks the final box for me, optical mice are rubbish IMO, they're the modern day ball mice.

I've had many mice and most never lasted more than a year either cause they where poorly built or I just grew to not liking them. had microsoft gaming mice. logitech. and a few others all ended up in a drawer or the bin. unlike the R.A.T. (great name too) :D

if you get a chance to check one out in a store you should give it a spin.

Chicane-UK    675
On 19/04/2016 at 0:50 PM, Active. said:

This is pretty much where mouse design peaked

microsoft-basic-mouse.jpg

The Magic Mouse is basically a more comfortable version of this one:

Agree. That thing was absolute perfection.

Phixion    10

I recently inherited an iMac 5K Retina 27" Late 2014, I have both the Magic Mouse 1 and the Trackpad 1, I don't really like the mouse as you can't really grip it, you have to hold it with your fingertips, it doesn't seem to sit comfortably in my hand.

I have been using the Trackpad and love it, I can see why you'd need a mouse for gaming etc, but the trackpad works great for general, everyday use.

Jack W    419

I use Magic Mouse's at work, as do my colleagues. Personally, I don't like them. I find them awkward and don't work as well as a normal mouse. Others have also complained of it making it harder for them to get work done.

patseguin    1,325

I have one in my drawer. It's the worst ergonomic design I've ever seen. I use the Logitech MX Master.

bastones    1

Haven't tried the Magic Mouse 2 and don't intend to. Like others, I found the original Magic Mouse extremely uncomfortable. With Apple slimming down every product possible with each revision, I really doubt they'll ever make a mouse that is actually comfortable. Since last year I've been using a Zelesoris Wired Vertical Mouse and I find it far more comfortable to use. I never use anything else now. At work or at home it has to be this mouse.