XB1 doesn't support HDMI CEC?

For example when I turn my Nvidia Shield TV or PS4 on my TV and audio system will come on. Same with PS3. Or if I'm watching TV and push the PS button on my DS4 it will automatically go to the PS4 menu.

When I turn my One on I need to manually turn on TV, and then set it to the right HDMI input. Bit of a PITA :(

I dunno. I'm pretty sure it does as it uses it when you use the tv function. I'm more surprised that anyone actually uses the clunky unreliable cec though

Think the Kinect could have been used as an IR blaster, so when you said "Xbox, on" it would start the configured bits of kit - TV, sound etc. 

Does CEC just allow the powering on of the device or does it switch to the correct input too?

I have all my stuff programmed to Kinect (as well as my remote programmed separately for when I don't have the xbox on)..

I say Xbox On and every thing just comes up with it.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I dunno. I'm pretty sure it does as it uses it when you use the tv function. I'm more surprised that anyone actually uses the clunky unreliable cec though

Unreliable? In over 4~5 years it's never once not turned my TV and audio system on for me automatically. That's all I've used it for. Well, plus using my TV remote to control my Rasp Pi/Amazon TV and now Nvidia shield. Pick up my DS3/DS4, push the PS button and everything turns on from standby. Don't even need the TV remote other than to adjust volume.

It seems I need to buy a Kinect or IR blaster -_- I just thought any device with HDMI had it as standard, as I've never not owned a device with HDMI that didn't support it.

• Like 2

nope, because the xbox one was designed with Kinect included, and its IR blaster turns on the tv. BUT, you don't actually need Kinect. you can just buy a $5-$10 IR blaster and connect it to the back of the xbox one and it works the same, controlling your tv,cable box,etc..

My Kinect takes care of this but sometimes my Apple TV takes over the amp and I need to manually change the input. I can't even turn it off on it :(

Every system has a subtly different implementation of CEC.  The worst offender I have seen so far is the Amazon FireTV which won't let me switch anything off as it appears to constantly send a 'switch on' notification to all the rest of my kit.

8 minutes ago, vcfan said:

nope, because the xbox one was designed with Kinect included, and its IR blaster turns on the tv. BUT, you don't actually need Kinect. you can just buy a $5-$10 IR blaster and connect it to the back of the xbox one and it works the same, controlling your tv,cable box,etc..

I'm assuming they could patch in support though now that Kinect isn't mandatory? 

I'll probably opt for a 2nd hand Kinect. With an IR blaster I guess it'll need a TV remote input or will everything come on if I turn on my One controller? That's what I want to try and achieve. 

1 hour ago, Audioboxer said:

For example when I turn my Nvidia Shield TV or PS4 on my TV and audio system will come on. Same with PS3. Or if I'm watching TV and push the PS button on my DS4 it will automatically go to the PS4 menu.

When I turn my One on I need to manually turn on TV, and then set it to the right HDMI input. Bit of a PITA :(

Imagine the days when you had to get up walk over and turn a knob just to change the channel.  You didn't need to worry about what input it was on because there weren't any, just channel 3 for the VCR.  Not sure if that qualifies as a capitalized pita.

12 minutes ago, daorbed9 said:

Imagine the days when you had to get up walk over and turn a knob just to change the channel.  You didn't need to worry about what input it was on because there weren't any, just channel 3 for the VCR.  Not sure if that qualifies as a capitalized pita.

Well we don't live in those days now and for someone used to it all just working automatically I don't see why something not adhering to that "norm" for me can't be classed as a PITA for me. Not really bothered if others don't care. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daorbed9 said:

My dad had a length of bamboo for such duties :laugh:

• Like 1

CEC is such a rotten mess, hardly anyone supports "actual" CEC, but CEC "compatible" proprietary variations.

trying to get all the different systems to play well together when you set up  systems for people is a nightmare. easiest solutions is to turn them all of and tell them to just use the remotes, as even when they work if they have a decently capable TV and receiver they'll need the remotes for them anyway, that or a harmony. 

I don't have a problem with it between my PS4 and Samsung TV aside from the remote being ridiculously sensitive.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

CEC is such a rotten mess, hardly anyone supports "actual" CEC, but CEC "compatible" proprietary variations.

trying to get all the different systems to play well together when you set up  systems for people is a nightmare. easiest solutions is to turn them all of and tell them to just use the remotes, as even when they work if they have a decently capable TV and receiver they'll need the remotes for them anyway, that or a harmony. 

Maybe if you have a lot of different systems then I guess. I've only had Sony/Panasonic, then Panasonic/Panasonic, and now Sony/Sony for my TV/receiver combos (with the additional Amazon/Nvidia products inbetween). All worked fine together. If it's something MS can patch into the One I don't see why they wouldn't considering they've cut Kinect. If it's hardware based then obviously that's a no go. An IR blaster or a Kinect is just another device/wire I need to have around to do something I'm not used to being a luxury or additional expense.

For what it is worth my parents are rolling with an LG/Sony combination fine.

Your mileage may vary, but I can't call something a mess that's worked perfectly for me for years and helped enabled me be a lazy ass with no need for an expensive all in one remote.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

Nope, and neither did the 360. PS3 / 4 have spoiled us :p

• Like 1

CEC is a bit of a dogs dinner, I suspect CEC support requires licensing from the HDMI group but every time I have seen these types of systems if you have mixed hardware it can be very flakey.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jasondefaoite said:

Maybe the xbox 1.5 will support CEC. But it is confirmed the Xbox One does not.

So it definitely needs hardware support? Thought it could just be patched in. 

4 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

So it definitely needs hardware support? Thought it could just be patched in. 

From what I read it can't be added via software. I think they would have done it already if it was possible as it has been requested by a lot of people.

16 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

I'm assuming they could patch in support though now that Kinect isn't mandatory? 

I'll probably opt for a 2nd hand Kinect. With an IR blaster I guess it'll need a TV remote input or will everything come on if I turn on my One controller? That's what I want to try and achieve. 

CEC most probably a software problem and patchable.

ir blaster can turn everything on when you turn your xbox on with the controller. but if you're on another input, you would have to manually change it.

• Like 1