• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xbox One Revision and probably a NEW Xbox outed by FCC Filings

Recommended Posts

Andrew    2,860

Taken from Gaf:

 

Quote

Microsoft is just testing the wireless chip for FCC approval. (See modular approval request)
The console itself is called the "Host".

Each FCC filing has Exhibits including the label location, test photos, manuals etc...
The applicant can chose to NOT make certain information public by the FCC which mostly includes photos, manuals and drawings of the device. But those documents have a availability date.
This will be important later.


1. Xbox One's wireless chip was approved by the FCC under Model Number 1525 or the FCC ID C3K1525 (C3K is the unique identifier for Microsoft and 1525 the model number)
https://fccid.io/C3K1525
you can see it's Xbox One:
- by opening the attached user manual for the Host that carries the wireless chip --> https://fccid.io/document.php?id=1994252
- by looking on the bottom of your Xbox One - you will find the FCC ID 1525

2. There are TWO recent filings with model numbers
1682 --> https://fccid.io/C3K1682
1683 --> https://fccid.io/C3K1683

Not if we check the Exhibits for those two models we can see that model 1683 includes a document named "User Manual 1525" which is not yet available and thus under NDA but the name gives away that this is basically a new Xbox One which will use the safety information manual from the OG Xbox One (https://fccid.io/document.php?id=1994252)

 

untitledumukk.png

--> New Xbox One revision - the NDA expires June 25 which means we will probably see a surprise release during E3

Model 1682 has the same wireless chip tested but the NDA expires late in July 29 and has it's own host manual linked but not the 1525 reference. Also there are quite some more Exhibits available here which makes me think this is the rumored Xbox Next or whatever it is called.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1206958

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Audioboxer    2,876

XBOX 1.5!!!111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George P    5,380

A revised smaller xbox one is a given at this point in time, as for a whole new xbox, i don't expect it.  It would be interesting if this is just pointing to two revised, smaller xbox ones, one with the bd drive, and a second even smaller one without the drive, for a digital only option that's cheaper and more of a AppleTV competitor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George P    5,380

I've been told the correct translation is Xbox One generation 2, which could just be another way to say revision 2, pointing to a slim more than a new hardware upgrade.

 

There's also talk of a new controller, maybe not a redesign so much as just a new color taking over the default black we have right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vandalsquad    513

I feel only a small version incoming, I think they're happy to let sony launch the 1.5 and get the jump on the next gen in another 2 years but could be wrong.

 

Release something a lot cheaper and a lot smaller at $199 it would be hard to compete with. If this still has a disc drive who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Audioboxer    2,876
6 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

I feel only a small version incoming, I think they're happy to let sony launch the 1.5 and get the jump on the next gen in another 2 years but could be wrong.

 

Release something a lot cheaper and a lot smaller at $199 it would be hard to compete with. If this still has a disc drive who knows.

One is not like the other. Remove the disc drive and it's DOA.

 

Don't agree with me? Hope MS releases a disc-less console and you'll see it's sales soon enough. It will be rejected like the Kinect bundle-in and proposed DRM ideas. I mean MS can have it if they want, but it will do nothing to compete with Sony or Nintendo.

 

Saving someone $50~100 on the console to then force them into having to buy every game at full digital RRP with no re-sale isn't a very good value proposition. It's for people with more money than sense, or with expendable cash they'll happily blow on "digital convenience", meaning the market everyone harps on about (casual) don't actually see any financial benefit going disc-less. Other than that upfront $50~100, which quickly gets eradicated. Pretty certain such casuals would rather get a 2nd hand console with a disc drive, or wait for a sale on a new one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HawkMan    5,232
On 12/04/2016 at 10:21 PM, George P said:

A revised smaller xbox one is a given at this point in time, as for a whole new xbox, i don't expect it.  It would be interesting if this is just pointing to two revised, smaller xbox ones, one with the bd drive, and a second even smaller one without the drive, for a digital only option that's cheaper and more of a AppleTV competitor.

 

I believe there was actually two new FCC filings, one using the same wireless chip and one using a new one. speculation is one is the slim and the other is... something else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HawkMan    5,232
7 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

One is not like the other. Remove the disc drive and it's DOA.

 

Don't agree with me? Hope MS releases a disc-less console and you'll see it's sales soon enough. It will be rejected like the Kinect bundle-in and proposed DRM ideas. I mean MS can have it if they want, but it will do nothing to compete with Sony or Nintendo.

I dunno. there's many who primarily only buy digital and don't need or even want disks, and it's known by the general public now that you can play fine without disks. so a ODD less model that's smaller and primarily cheaper could sell well if it's marketed correctly and bundled with some high profile games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Audioboxer    2,876
3 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I dunno. there's many who primarily only buy digital and don't need or even want disks, and it's known by the general public now that you can play fine without disks. so a ODD less model that's smaller and primarily cheaper could sell well if it's marketed correctly and bundled with some high profile games. 

See my edit. MS will sell it to those in the categories I mentioned. Not many people. So they can release it if they want, but it's not making a worldwide dent for sales at all.

 

Neowin seems to be the only site online I see the disc-less Xbox peddled as some sort of game changer. It's really not. Just like going with HD-DVD for XB1 gaming and snubbing BRD licensing wasn't... yeah I still remember those debates a few years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HawkMan    5,232
Just now, Audioboxer said:

See my edit. MS will sell it to those in the categories I mentioned. Not many people. So they can release it if they want, but it's not making a worldwide dent for sales at all.

I don't necesarilly agree, especially not considering how high the MS digital sales are. 

 

frankly at this point neither of us have any numbers to back up either statement. only one entity does. and they're the ones who would potentially be making this device. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Audioboxer    2,876
13 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I don't necesarilly agree, especially not considering how high the MS digital sales are. 

 

frankly at this point neither of us have any numbers to back up either statement. only one entity does. and they're the ones who would potentially be making this device. 

Digital sales are high because of digital only titles, and digital availability on a case by case basis for AAA. Physical discs still outsell digital, and let's not forget this "proposition" is to take away consumer choice, not to bolster anything. Right now you can go digital only and still have the option for discs.

 

Again I'd be delighted for MS to do this disc-less XB1 just to come back on here in a year and see the reaction. Fact is they probably won't, and if they don't that's telling enough that they know it will be DOA.

 

As for a slimmer console argument, MS can easily slim down the XB1. The PS4 is about 2/3rds of the size and includes an internal power brick. Yes large size has its benefits with the XB1 being quieter, but in terms of operation both work. If someone simply wants something slimmer at all costs I don't think an XB1 fan being a bit noisier will mean much. They don't need to remove the disc drive to make a smaller console. Who knows but the PS4 Neo might even end up smaller than the PS4 due to chip size shrinkage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HawkMan    5,232

outselling doesn't mean there isn't a significant market for one. 51 to 49 is still "outselling". 10% of 10 millions is still a full million. 

 

so merely "outsells" is a meaningless measure. and it doesn't include the possible added sales of a cheap bundle with a high profile game. fact is cheap sells, a lot. 

 

a disk less version doesn't need to outsell the regular version to be a success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George P    5,380

I don't see why they can't do both, it's like it has to be one or the other,  you can reduce the size of the XB1, with it's optical drive, and you can also do a even smaller one without a drive for those who don't care,  I personally only own one disc game, in my part of the world reselling your disc games isn't as big of a thing as it is in the US/UK.    And hell, if MS allows us to sell our digital games back to them or to other gold members then this whole "no disc no good" thinking becomes pointless.

 

Xbox One Slim with a bigger hdd and bd drive for, say, $299,  keep the current version at $249 to clear stock.  And a Xbox One Ultra Slim, no BD drive, 1 TB hdd, for $199, sounds like a deal for people, and at that price some might even buy one as a second device to put into another room in the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Audioboxer    2,876
57 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

outselling doesn't mean there isn't a significant market for one. 51 to 49 is still "outselling". 10% of 10 millions is still a full million. 

 

so merely "outsells" is a meaningless measure. and it doesn't include the possible added sales of a cheap bundle with a high profile game. fact is cheap sells, a lot. 

 

a disk less version doesn't need to outsell the regular version to be a success. 

You do realize a lot of bundles right now come with a game of some sorts? 

 

Quite honestly with the XB1 at around 18~20m sales I doubt a discless version would even hit a million units. XB1's go cheap enough that what's the point in giving yourself less options when you can have both?

 

I bought an XB1 from Amazon for £142. Warehouse deal admittedly, but point is the 2nd hand market is already cheap.

 

I'm not opposed to them doing this, simply saying it will be DOA, and I'm quietly confident MS won't even try doing it so that will end up case closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo    1,764

Could they not market the disc less version of the Xbox as more of a media centric device? Although the Xbox is primarily a games console, I think that it's a damn good media device too. You have the usual apps for video streaming, it has things like Skype and it's integration with Windows 10 is great too. It has a hard drive so if there is a need/want to play games you can download them, even if it's just the monthly 4 games for GwG.

 

Or another idea, is this is a complimentary device that works in tandem with the Xbox so I'm able to connect this device to another TV and it acts as a go between my Xbox in the living room and my TV upstairs hence the improved wireless chip...who knows :shiftyninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Audioboxer    2,876
4 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Could they not market the disc less version of the Xbox as more of a media centric device? Although the Xbox is primarily a games console, I think that it's a damn good media device too. You have the usual apps for video streaming, it has things like Skype and it's integration with Windows 10 is great too. It has a hard drive so if there is a need/want to play games you can download them, even if it's just the monthly 4 games for GwG.

 

Or another idea, is this is a complimentary device that works in tandem with the Xbox so I'm able to connect this device to another TV and it acts as a go between my Xbox in the living room and my TV upstairs hence the improved wireless chip...who knows :shiftyninja:

They're not going to get it as cheap as Amazon/Google/Android devices so there is no real point. That market is cuthroat and completely saturated, especially with the abundance of streaming sticks $20 or around that. If it's not Amazon or Google it's an Android device made in China and sold for peanuts. The Xbox sales will primarily come from gamers and it'll stay that way. MS already tried the TV TV TV angle and we know how that worked out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George P    5,380
2 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

:shiftyninja:Could they not market the disc less version of the Xbox as more of a media centric device? Although the Xbox is primarily a games console, I think that it's a damn good media device too. You have the usual apps for video streaming, it has things like Skype and it's integration with Windows 10 is great too. It has a hard drive so if there is a need/want to play games you can download them, even if it's just the monthly 4 games for GwG.

 

Or another idea, is this is a complimentary device that works in tandem with the Xbox so I'm able to connect this device to another TV and it acts as a go between my Xbox in the living room and my TV upstairs hence the improved wireless chip...who knows :shiftyninja:

It can be marketed as a pure media/app device, I think they will release a discless version of it at some point, because it can target people who don't care about gaming to the extent that having a optical disc and being able to resell their games comes into play, for them it'd be another option next to a Roku or a AppleTV, specially when we get two more features for the Xbox that we already know are on the way, the expanded store so we get UWP apps, and the native DVR feature that will let you record freeview tv (sorry guys but I don't think they'll ever add cablecard support).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Audioboxer    2,876
9 minutes ago, George P said:

It can be marketed as a pure media/app device, I think they will release a discless version of it at some point, because it can target people who don't care about gaming to the extent that having a optical disc and being able to resell their games comes into play, for them it'd be another option next to a Roku or a AppleTV, specially when we get two more features for the Xbox that we already know are on the way, the expanded store so we get UWP apps, and the native DVR feature that will let you record freeview tv (sorry guys but I don't think they'll ever add cablecard support).

And for the points I said above, good luck MS. Expect even worse than Windows Phone sales in a media device world owned by Android, and Apple. Just like phones. If MS want Xbox to carry on doing well it's gamers they have to target, end of. The reason they are so far behind the PS4 is primarily the messaging and disappointment they aimed at gamers. Nothing to do with the TV/media market, that's what gave them media rejection and criticism.

 

So yeah, they can do it, but what's the point in spending money, time and resources branching off an Xbox device from normal manufacturing that will utterly fail? They've got a better chance just releasing a Windows media stick or something, than branding it with Xbox.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo    1,764
6 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

They're not going to get it as cheap as Amazon/Google/Android devices so there is no real point. That market is cuthroat and completely saturated, especially with the abundance of streaming sticks $20 or around that. If it's not Amazon or Google it's an Android device made in China and sold for peanuts. The Xbox sales will primarily come from gamers and it'll stay that way. MS already tried the TV TV TV angle and we know how that worked out.

Good point, I mean it does/would have more features than the average Roku/Firestick, but you raise valid points. I bought a WD TV thingy a while ago and returned it shortly after when I realised that the extra cost didn't really add anything worthwhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Audioboxer    2,876
3 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Good point, I mean it does/would have more features than the average Roku/Firestick, but you raise valid points. I bought a WD TV thingy a while ago and returned it shortly after when I realised that the extra cost didn't really add anything worthwhile.

A big market these days tends to be the chinese android boxes with Kodi pre-installed. For, well, you know "sports and tv streaming". For those less technical/in the know, it tends to be an Android device to match their phone and store of choice ecosystem (Amazon/Google), or an Apple device to match their phone (Apple TV). Considering hardly anyone owns a Windows Phone in the grand scheme of things, most owners even of Windows Phones have probably gone Google/Apple or simply Smart TV for media. That's if they don't already own a 360 or Xbox One anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George P    5,380
Just now, Audioboxer said:

And for the points I said above, good luck MS. Expect even worse than Windows Phone sales in a media device world owned by Android, and Apple.

The world isn't owned by Android and Apple, Apple hardly even talks about the AppleTV, so you know it's sales aren't that great or they'd talk it up till they were blue in the face.  Streaming sticks are nice, and cheap, but they're limited, I pointed to DVR as one thing, users have been asking for more and more, and MS is adding it soon, a streaming stick isn't going to give you that ability.   They also don't give you the ability to play something more then a rehashed mobile game if you want.    In the end it's all about the features and what more you get compared to that $35 fire tv stick, hell amazon's top of the line "gaming" version sells for $140.    With deals for Xbox ONes going for $249 right now, MS could get close or match that price and offer you full digital xbox one games, better than anything you'd get out of amazon, plus all the things the firetv can do and who knows what more once they open up the app store later this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Audioboxer    2,876
7 minutes ago, George P said:

The world isn't owned by Android and Apple, Apple hardly even talks about the AppleTV, so you know it's sales aren't that great or they'd talk it up till they were blue in the face.  Streaming sticks are nice, and cheap, but they're limited, I pointed to DVR as one thing, users have been asking for more and more, and MS is adding it soon, a streaming stick isn't going to give you that ability.   They also don't give you the ability to play something more then a rehashed mobile game if you want.    In the end it's all about the features and what more you get compared to that $35 fire tv stick, hell amazon's top of the line "gaming" version sells for $140.    With deals for Xbox ONes going for $249 right now, MS could get close or match that price and offer you full digital xbox one games, better than anything you'd get out of amazon, plus all the things the firetv can do and who knows what more once they open up the app store later this year?

Smart TVs can have DVR built in from the get go, mine does. For everyone else, their Sky/Virgin or TiVo box already does this. Sony released PlayTV in UK/Europe with DVR for the PS3, it obviously sold pretty meh given that it is now dead.

 

I edited in above, MS would be better off just releasing cheap Windows TV sticks to try things out, not a cut down Xbox with the Xbox branding.

 

As for the top end Amazon box, and even things like the Nvidia Shield TV which I own, they'll still vastly be outsold by streaming sticks and what not. Most casuals want YouTube, Netflix, Hulu and HBO. Then possibly something that is already tied into the mobile app store they've spent all their money on. That is why Android and Apple own the scene. Good luck trying to get someone to switch who has spent tens if not hundreds of $$$ on Apps tied to one store.

 

MS already tried to incorporate and brand the Xbox as a TV/media center, and look how that worked out. Nothing wrong with having the features, but put that as a main focus and watch a PR mishap.

 

Considering the state of Windows Phones, trying to reintroduce something Xbox related as a media device/store will only end up being a disaster. Not saying the device will be, it'll be technically great, but it's not going to sell in a meaningful way, nor help MS claw back gamers support from Sony. So what is the point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo    1,764

Off topic a little but I normally only watch the Xbox E3 conf live and catch up on on the Sony & Nintendo ones after, think this will be the first year that I'll try and watch all three...could be very interesting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George P    5,380
1 minute ago, Audioboxer said:

Smart TVs can have DVR built in from the get go, mine does.

 

I edited in above, MS would be better off just releasing cheap Windows TV sticks to try things out, not a cut down Xbox with the Xbox branding.

 

As for the top end Amazon box, and even things like the Nvidia Shield TV which I own, they'll still vastly be outsold by streaming sticks and what not. Most casuals want YouTube, Netflix, Hulu and HBO. Then possibly something that is already tied into the mobile app store they've spent all their money on. That is why Android and Apple own the scene. Good luck trying to get someone to switch who has spent tens if not hundreds of $$$ on Apps tied to one store.

First, I don't think smartTVs are in use, not really in use, the way you might think.  People own them, to what extent I'm not sure, but they're not used nearly as much as their makers thought, otherwise we wouldn't have a market for other media devices, so I wouldn't even add smartTVs into this equation.    Casuals want those, I agree, but then again, that depends where they live, everyone can get youtube just fine, not everyone can get Netflix, and even less can get Hulu and HBO, we're talking in most cases streaming services that are US only, or US/UK only, or like Netflix are really cut down versions of the US service in other parts of the world.   For those people, those things don't come into play as much, they'll have to go with the local tv and services they do have access to, for them recording, DVR, their own live TV is what they'd go with, that's why it's been asked for so much on the Xbox forums as a feature.

 

And as far as stores go, those apps/services, like Netflix are on every store, device, they're not tied or locked to one, so you just install Netflix on your xbox, signin and stream, if you're in a market that lets you.    It's also easier to get people to "switch" because they're not really switching, they're not going from one mobile phone store to another mobile phone store, it's looked at as another device,  you're not so much switching as you are adding on.   I mean I've spend lots on games in the xbox store, that doesn't stop me from spending a lot on games in the steam store.  And if we're going PC only, I've spend money on games through GoG,  few people really care about spending on games/apps on different stores as long as the games/apps they want are on it.  Again, you're not asking them to dump the stuff they paid for already that they have on their smartphones, there's no switching going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.