Driver in Minnesota cited for speeding... just a tad over the limit

1 minute ago, randomevent said:

Sweet.  I didn't think that sort of thing actually happened outside of the movies.

I know - that is really moving.

it happens.  it is more funny when road blocks and helicopters are used and chase is not given.  happened to someone I knew, his gold pba card didn't help him out of that one.

So the cop did the same thing — drove at reckless speeds — to generate revenue for the state. I mean if it's dangerous when a civilian does it, how safe is it for a cop to do it? They might be better trained, but can we really assume that? I mean was anybody hurt? Did the Camaro driver hit anyone, or anything? Or was he just showing off his wheels?

I read the topic title and thought of the situation here in North Carolina. No, not the bathroom thing. NC State Patrol said that they were going to start cracking down on speeders. Even 1MPH over is illegal, they said. I mean, of course it is, and of course you CAN be ticketed for going 1MPH over, but they said they're going to crack down on people specifically going within 9MPH of the speed limit, to try to dispel the notion of "Nine you're fine, ten you're mine."

Yet I heard, not one. Not two. And not even three. But FOUR drag races on my street before dinner time. One or two? Okay. But after that, the cops should have set up a couple speed traps and busted these jokers. Maybe they did. But it's a common thing. And no, it really doesn't bother me. Just the hypocrisy of it all. I don't think your average cop wants to write speeding tickets. I think most of them want to protect and serve. Find and bust rapists and drug dealers, murderers and robbers. But despite our for-profit prisons, I don't think convicting these guys gets as many resources to the local community as tickets do. Some of your ticket goes to the court, some goes to the police department, and that buys them better equipment and such. Is what it is I guess, I'd just rather them bust people who are willfully breaking the law, not some person who's running late and just happened to go a little over.

8 minutes ago, dragontology said:

So the cop did the same thing — drove at reckless speeds — to generate revenue for the state. I mean if it's dangerous when a civilian does it, how safe is it for a cop to do it? They might be better trained, but can we really assume that? I mean was anybody hurt? Did the Camaro driver hit anyone, or anything? Or was he just showing off his wheels?

I read the topic title and thought of the situation here in North Carolina. No, not the bathroom thing. NC State Patrol said that they were going to start cracking down on speeders. Even 1MPH over is illegal, they said. I mean, of course it is, and of course you CAN be ticketed for going 1MPH over, but they said they're going to crack down on people specifically going within 9MPH of the speed limit, to try to dispel the notion of "Nine you're fine, ten you're mine."

Yet I heard, not one. Not two. And not even three. But FOUR drag races on my street before dinner time. One or two? Okay. But after that, the cops should have set up a couple speed traps and busted these jokers. Maybe they did. But it's a common thing. And no, it really doesn't bother me. Just the hypocrisy of it all. I don't think your average cop wants to write speeding tickets. I think most of them want to protect and serve. Find and bust rapists and drug dealers, murderers and robbers. But despite our for-profit prisons, I don't think convicting these guys gets as many resources to the local community as tickets do. Some of your ticket goes to the court, some goes to the police department, and that buys them better equipment and such. Is what it is I guess, I'd just rather them bust people who are willfully breaking the law, not some person who's running late and just happened to go a little over.

exactly. well said. What were the road conditions. started raining? that means oil on the road means slick surface and lose control of the car and a lot more

9 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

What were the road conditions. started raining? that means oil on the road means slick surface and lose control of the car and a lot more

In the story or in my example of the four drag races I heard? It was raining where I was. Not sure about Minnesota.

I'm not a big "car person." I drive an old beat up Dodge truck (it got rolled through a field before I got it — it's got character). But I saw the topic and it reminded me of the 1MPH over crackdown here. I don't drive very fast because my truck doesn't like to, but if I'm driving my wife's car (Nissan Sentra) and it's safe to go 5 or 10 miles over, if it's a sunny day and the traffic is light, I don't see the problem with speeding. But at the same time, I can't afford a speeding ticket. So I leave early and play by the rules. I just hate to hear about a robbery or a sexual assault (I'm on a college town so that happens a lot) but the cops are picking the low hanging fruit.