Stana Katic Is Leaving Castle in Major Shakeup

yGKf0f2.png

It's still not clear whether FOX's Castle will be back for a ninth season in the fall -- but if it is, it will have to do without one of its two leads, and another longtime recurring guest star.

Both Stana Katic -- who plays Detective Kate Beckett -- and Tamala Jones, plays medical examiner Lanie Parish, won't be back in a potential Season Nine, Deadline announced today.

The site indicated that ABC still hopes for a shortened, 13-episode Season Nine at a reduced license fee -- presumably to wrap things up. Budget reductions are apparently to blame for Katic and Jones leaving, with Katic apparently never even approached about a return after signing (along with co-lead Nathan Fillion) a one-year contract for Season Eight.

Both characters have been with Castle since the beginning, and while the title indicates that the show is a solo series, it's really been a tale of the designated romance between Castle and Beckett for much of its run.

“Rather then distract from what was an amazing experience, I would just like to say that I’m very grateful to ABC for giving me the opportunity to be a part of a much beloved show," Katic said in a short statement to Deadline, in which she declined to comment on the nature of her departure. "Thank you to the fans.”

“I’ve had so much fun playing the wonderful and unfiltered Lanie over the past eight seasons,” Jones said in a statement. “I will greatly miss the cast and crew – it’s been a privilege getting to work with this incredibly hard working group of people. Thank you to ABC for this opportunity and to the fans for their unwavering support. It’s been an incredible journey and I can’t wait for what lies ahead!”

“Kate Beckett has been a beloved character on our hit series Castle for the past 8 years. We are grateful for Stana Katic’s talent and dedication to the series and we hope to continue our relationship,” ABC said in a statement. “Tamala Jones has also been an integral part of the series and we are grateful she was a part of Castle."

Series star Nathan Fillion hasn't yet issued a statement, although given his presence on social media and at fan conventions, it likely won't be long before he weighs in.

http://comicbook.com/2016/04/18/stana-katic-is-leaving-castle-in-major-shakeup/

So once again, the higher ups feel it's not worth paying to keep a show going, I think it's clear that she's not getting paid as much as Nathen, and she's not happy about it.   If this happens then no way Nathen is going to try and do it solo, guess season 8 is the last one.

I've been watching this show since the first episode. Truth to be told, IMHO it has reached its end a couple of seasons ago and it is just dragging and dragging. About time they decided the pull the plug.

They should have a season two for Firefly instead! :D

I think with S9 being up in the air much of S8 they should have cut the drama and wrapped it up with Castle & Beckett this year. Breakup, plane crash or murder-suicide. Something other than static.

Edited by DocM

2 hours ago, George P said:

So once again, the higher ups feel it's not worth paying to keep a show going, I think it's clear that she's not getting paid as much as Nathen, and she's not happy about it.   If this happens then no way Nathen is going to try and do it solo, guess season 8 is the last one.

Well... the show is named after his character... so it wouldn't be completely weird if they replaced her.

But the show was really about both characters.  Usually when a main character leaves a series... it doesn't have much life left after that.  They might be better off not even trying for season 9.  Go out on top.

Anyone know their salaries?  It became a pretty popular show.  

27 minutes ago, Michael Scrip said:

Well... the show is named after his character... so it wouldn't be completely weird if they replaced her.

But the show was really about both characters.  Usually when a main character leaves a series... it doesn't have much life left after that.  They might be better off not even trying for season 9.  Go out on top.

Anyone know their salaries?  It became a pretty popular show.  

They won't replace her unless they want to push for a final season 9 and kill her off at the end of season 8, make it one final arc/mission to wrap things up for a possible short season 9, and by short I mean 13 episodes or so like the article talks about.

It'll be weird, the only other work the two of them have done outside of this show has been voice acting for animated films and a game here or there,   the last movie I remember Stana in was a small part in the spirit.     She also had a very very short scene at the end of Quantum of Solice, so I don't know, good luck to her but some actors/actresses get stuck in a tv series and can never break away from it.

Well I'm gutted. I only discovered Castle last year and had a binge of all the seasons until I caught up with the UK airing on Alibi). Castle has been one of my favourite shows, probably of all time.

With this news, the show simply will not last. I saw a similar thing happen with The Mentalist, where they shook up the cast and it simply didn't take and they had to wrap it up.

I've also been watching this since the begin, mainly for Nathan Fillion.  I really want it to end so Nathan can go back to doing good stuff.  This show jumped the shark many seasons ago

I stopped watching with the whole amnesia story thing. They should have ended it the season before that and maybe do a made for tv movie later on. Didn't they used to do that with those classic murder mystery shows back in day?... I seem to recall  2 hour Murder She Wrote specials as a kid or Columbo or one of those.

I've tried to watch the show, but it seems every episode is the same as the previous. Someone was murdered, and two "cops" who are secretly in love with each other try to figure out who did it. Every episode is the same as the one before it. Not for me.

I love how people can comment "Time to cancel Castle and Start up Firefly" when they haven't even watched it. 

I hope Firefly doesn't come back. If memory serves me right, Nathen Fillion has already stated he won't do Firefly again. Even when fans offered to buy it for him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

I love how people can comment "Time to cancel Castle and Start up Firefly" when they haven't even watched it. 

I hope Firefly doesn't come back. If memory serves me right, Nathen Fillion has already stated he won't do Firefly again. Even when fans offered to buy it for him.

I love how people can get riled up over other people's comments as if it affects them personally...yea...I know it isn't coming back though it would make a lot of people happy if it did.  Maybe Castle will be the new Firefly ... haha ... didn't they cast Jewel fairly recently?  Anyway...I've never been interested in the crime drama genre ... so it isn't just Castle.

9 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

I love how people can get riled up over other people's comments as if it affects them personally...yea...I know it isn't coming back though it would make a lot of people happy if it did.  Maybe Castle will be the new Firefly ... haha ... didn't they cast Jewel fairly recently?  Anyway...I've never been interested in the crime drama genre ... so it isn't just Castle.

I used your statement because I was too lazy to scroll up, I wasn't making a personal jab at you. I watched Castle because of Nathen Fillion and there hasn't been a decent SyFy series since Stargate SG-1. I personally felt that Season 8 should've wrapped the series up, and Jewel? I don't even know the actors real names besides Nathen Fillion, and that's just because he's been in a few different movies/tvshows I've watched.

Mad? Far from it, more annoyed that anything. SyFy is becoming a "thing of the past" sadly.

13 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

I used your statement because I was too lazy to scroll up, I wasn't making a personal jab at you. I watched Castle because of Nathen Fillion and there hasn't been a decent SyFy series since Stargate SG-1. I personally felt that Season 8 should've wrapped the series up, and Jewel? I don't even know the actors real names besides Nathen Fillion, and that's just because he's been in a few different movies/tvshows I've watched.

Mad? Far from it, more annoyed that anything. SyFy is becoming a "thing of the past" sadly.

Jewel .. Firefly's mechanic (Kaylee). :)

I've actually enjoyed a few Sci Fi shows... The Expanse, Defiance (dangit just saw they cancelled this...argh!) and 12 Monkeys.

Well if this does end this season then it's time to get Nathan into a comic book movie,  someone over at WB should call him up quick,  he's a big comic book fan. 

1 hour ago, jjkusaf said:

Jewel .. Firefly's mechanic (Kaylee). :)

I've actually enjoyed a few Sci Fi shows... The Expanse, Defiance (dangit just saw they cancelled this...argh!) and 12 Monkeys.

I started to watch The Expanse but it seemed like it was slow as hell to start. I saw 12 Monkeys, was/is it any good? I picked up Hunters and so far it's interesting. It's like AVP only Humans vs Hunters (Predators). I love Defiance, and it saddens me to see it was cancelled.

I'll pick up the Expanse again.

1 minute ago, BinaryData said:

I started to watch The Expanse but it seemed like it was slow as hell to start. I saw 12 Monkeys, was/is it any good? I picked up Hunters and so far it's interesting. It's like AVP only Humans vs Hunters (Predators). I love Defiance, and it saddens me to see it was cancelled.

I'll pick up the Expanse again.

Yea...Expanse was really slow for the first few episodes ... but it got much better (IMO) as the season went on.  (Y)

12 Monkeys is good ... you kind of have to forget the movie a little bit.  There are several holes ... and I fear it is a TV show they could quickly bleed out and then drag out.  IMO, it is a show that should only have a few seasons.

Haven't seen Hunters ... may have to give it a shot.

22 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Yea...Expanse was really slow for the first few episodes ... but it got much better (IMO) as the season went on.  (Y)

12 Monkeys is good ... you kind of have to forget the movie a little bit.  There are several holes ... and I fear it is a TV show they could quickly bleed out and then drag out.  IMO, it is a show that should only have a few seasons.

Haven't seen Hunters ... may have to give it a shot.

Wynonna Earp looks good too.

Anyways, let's hope Nathen Fillion & Jewel (Oh man the dreams about her :yes:) get another gig together. I think putting him in Star Wars would be amusing as hell. Like how they did Deadpool, making snarky comments about previous gigs and the actor himself.

On 4/19/2016 at 0:51 AM, George P said:

It'll be weird, the only other work the two of them have done outside of this show has been voice acting for animated films and a game here or there, 

Actually, Nathan Fillion was in the Firefly series awhile back, and the movie wrapup, called 'Serenity'. I'm not sure about Stana Katic.

1 hour ago, devHead said:

Actually, Nathan Fillion was in the Firefly series awhile back, and the movie wrapup, called 'Serenity'. I'm not sure about Stana Katic.

I typed that wrong, I actually wanted to say just Stana, I know about firefly and so on.    Castle has been the biggest show for the both of them though, we're talking primetime and 8 seasons.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, people.com has a article saying that Monday's episode will be the series final, show has been canceled, so no season 9 guys.

Just watched the final ep, talk about a rushed hot mess, it's clear they originally wanted to drag this arc out into season 9 and maybe end it there but oh well.