PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

Earlier this year, rumors began to fly that Sony would release an upgraded version of the PlayStation 4, a console often called the PS4.5 or the PS4K by fans and press. Today, multiple sources have confirmed for us details of the project, which is internally referred to as the NEO. No price was provided, but previous reports indicate that the NEO would sell at $399. At time of publishing, Sony has not returned our request for comment, but we will update this story if the company responds.

Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.

Games running in NEO mode will be able to use the hardware upgrades (and an additional 512 MiB in the memory budget) to offer increased and more stable frame rate and higher visual fidelity, at least when those games run at 1080p on HDTVs. The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native.

The NEO will not supplant the current PS4, but will exist alongside of it and use the same user environment. The PS4 and NEO will use the same PSN store, connect to the same online communities, and offer the same user experience, so expect to see the same cross media bar that you’re used to. Players will be able to retain all of the purchases they made on the PS4.

Sony seems committed to keeping the NEO and the original PS4 player bases connected. As such, there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4.

Original PS4

CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz
GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s

NEO
CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sources-the-upgraded-playstation-4-is-codenamed-ne/1100-5437/

7 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

You know there's a FP article with the same info right? :p

https://www.neowin.net/news/more-details-rumored-about-sonys-playstation-45-aka-neo

Oops. I usually come to the forums first. FP staff are usually a little behind so congrats on them being quick on this one lol. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

Oops. I usually come to the forums first. FP staff are usually a little behind so congrats on them being quick on this one lol. 

Hah I get that. I'm surprised that I didn't see this from you first :p and then the FP article this afternoon ;)

5 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

Seems like a terrible idea, won't be capable of 4K game play so what's the point? Will they continue to sell the original? 

"The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native."
I read that as meaning games developers will be able to support it ? The fact that they'd have to support both modes might make it more annoying for the devs, though, I guess... IMHO they'll just develop basic games (or multiplatform games ported to basic ps4) and when they're close to the end, if there's still time, try to crank up a few settings for the neo mode.

12 minutes ago, brpsycho said:

"The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native."
I read that as meaning games developers will be able to support it ? The fact that they'd have to support both modes might make it more annoying for the devs, though, I guess... IMHO they'll just develop basic games (or multiplatform games ported to basic ps4) and when they're close to the end, if there's still time, try to crank up a few settings for the neo mode.

I have no doubt video output like bluray's etc will support 4K on the device, but gaming in 4K? Unless I'm missing something usually requires a beast of a machine. And these small spec bumps don't seem like enough to get us to 4K gaming when this generation has struggled to even get to 60FPS at 1080. Uncharted? 30FPS, Driveclub? 30FPS. And these are PS4's best lookers, doubling the GPU that is there would get them to 60FPS but 4K and 60FPS...?

42 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

Seems like a terrible idea, won't be capable of 4K game play so what's the point? Will they continue to sell the original? 

It literally says in the first post. It will sell alongside the PS4.

The GPU update is actually pretty big all things considered. Seems to be Polaris.

40 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

I have no doubt video output like bluray's etc will support 4K on the device, but gaming in 4K? Unless I'm missing something usually requires a beast of a machine. And these small spec bumps don't seem like enough to get us to 4K gaming when this generation has struggled to even get to 60FPS at 1080. Uncharted? 30FPS, Driveclub? 30FPS. And these are PS4's best lookers, doubling the GPU that is there would get them to 60FPS but 4K and 60FPS...?

oh ok... sorry for the misunderstanding (and thanks for the details too). I actually had no idea what the required specs for 4k were like - I don't own anything that does 4k.

21 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

It literally says in the first post. It will sell alongside the PS4.

The GPU update is actually pretty big all things considered. Seems to be Polaris.

Literally missed supplant comment, but will take that with a grain of salt until Sony release some information as well.

21 hours ago, brpsycho said:

oh ok... sorry for the misunderstanding (and thanks for the details too). I actually had no idea what the required specs for 4k were like - I don't own anything that does 4k.

No problem at all, all my TV's at home now are 4K but the only thing I've had to run 4K is Netflix, and I'm sure the bitrate on that is fairly compressed as well. I have an AMD crossfire setup couple of years old that blows consoles out of the park and wouldn't even attempt 4K but on any of the screens in gaming.

So mostly just an 4k video player for blu-ray and streaming services like Netflix and PS Video which should offer 4k streaming. I wasn't expecting 4k games unless they are simple graphics games ( and we have a lot of them thanks to our free  indie titles on PSN+) so Im wondering if it will upscale the 1080 output or leave that to the TVs.

On 4/20/2016 at 5:40 AM, brpsycho said:

I'm thinking some indie titles might be able to support 4K, but it's mostly geared towards 4K Netflix/Amazon/YouTube/blu-ray.  For instance, titles from thatgamecompany were 1080p I believe on PS3.

• 3 weeks later...

It's weird to be kind of getting a new-ish console like this. I don't really play my PS4 now so I cannot imagine I'll be upgrading.

On 5/13/2016 at 0:26 PM, LaP said:

At least it should be able to do proper 1080p something the xbox one and ps4 can't really do.

Well the PS4 can do it much much much better than the Xbox One. Xbone is lucky if it gets a 1080p title every now and then.

• 3 weeks later...

It's also worth noting that - clock-speeds and resultant TFLOPs aside - the specs for RX 480 are point-for-point a match for the GPU in Sony's upcoming PlayStation Neo, all but confirming that the Sony mid-gen console refresh uses both Polaris technology and the new 14nm FinFET chip manufacturing process.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-amd-rx-480-costs-199-gtx-970-r9-390-beating-performance

But for PS4 is most likely downclocked

RX480 is clocked at 1266mhz on PC, while we know from SDK leak that Neo module will be clocked at 911mhz. That alone will push the tflops counter down to 4.2tflops, and more importantly, it will reduce heat and power draw.

Everyone needs to remember these are small boxes with very little cooling.

The word going on GAF

A little bit of news I've been told: Neo-enabled games are not allowed to be released until after 20th September 2016. 

Also there appears to be some relevance to the date October 3rd though not sure whether it's Neo or PSVR related.

On 6/2/2016 at 9:19 AM, Audioboxer said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-amd-rx-480-costs-199-gtx-970-r9-390-beating-performance

But for PS4 is most likely downclocked

Everyone needs to remember these are small boxes with very little cooling.

I think all that points out something that needs to be reiterated -- this console refresh won't do 4K gaming.  4K blu-ray, Netflix, etc., and better fps/rez (should be consistent 1080p60 on almost every title) with maybe an "ultra" graphics setting built in, but you won't see Uncharted 4K.

On April 20, 2016 at 6:07 AM, glen8 said:

£500 graphics cards struggle with 4k, in fact I've seen sli struggle at 4k

4k gaming is 10 years away

1-2 years tops.