Chrome 50 keeps crashing with Shockwave flash, here's how to fix

Hello, so Chrome 50 is now on the stable channel, and since upgrading a few things don't work properly :/ (also reported in Google forums if you do a search for the problem)

The main issue was that the browser tab kept crashing when idling on the Neowin main page, I'd get a Shockwave Flash has crashed, reload? message, or the tab would crash completely with "Aww snap"

What helped for me was disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome settings under System (accessed through "show advanced settings") and it has also been suggested to enable "Always allowed to run" with the built in Flash plugin.

SNAG-0000.png

Anyone else getting this? Live search in the ACP doesn't work either (but does work in Chrome 49).

I spoke too soon, still getting Shockwave crashed messages on multiple sites, videos etc seem to do it as well as ads. 

Suggestion:

Download PPAPI version from Adobe and disable the built-in and enable the installed one and see whether this works or not.

Direct Link - http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/21.0.0.213/install_flash_player_ppapi.exe

Using the external PPAPI plugin shouldn't matter as it's probably the same, right? If NPAPI plugins were still working, it'd probably work fine then.

Are you using the latest GPU drivers?

When I've had the PPAPI Flash plugin enabled in Chrome, I've never experienced a crash on my system.

Nothing helped, searched far and wide on the Internet and instead opted to disable the plugin. Everything (but certain ads) appear to work just fine without it!