What is the best online backup service that supports two-factor authentication?

Question

I'm currently looking to dump Carbonite because they STILL do not support two factor authentication. I'm really surprised upon looking online how few services support it. Seeing how online backup services are the place that store the most important data you would think they would have accounts locked down a lot better.

So what I've found so far is that Crashplan on the enterprise side has two-factor authentication but not on the individual side. 

I tried Backblaze but I disliked how their software worked, gave you very little control.

So i'm wondering if anyone knows of an online backup service that I haven't come across yet that supports two factor authentication.

1 minute ago, Jack W said:

Not sure on your exact needs - but, OneDrive? That has two-factor authentication as part of MSA.

That's not a bad idea. Actually, I could also look at google drive.

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Yeah, I personally use OneDrive, simply because it works perfectly with Windows. Just syncs my photos by itself (and can set it to do screenshots), every other file I can just drop into OneDrive, or set the locations to auto-upload and boom, done.

I'm not sure how Carbonite's upload/storage process works, but are you worried about people accessing your data? If so, encrypting the data before you upload to Carbonite would surely work. This would also prevent access from seemingly trustworthy parties otherwise (e.g., overreaching government warrants, disgruntled employee).

I just encrypt my backups and physically store them off-site in a secure location. Unless my whole city is annihilated, I should be good...

1 minute ago, Veiva said:

I'm not sure how Carbonite's upload/storage process works, but are you worried about people accessing your data? If so, encrypting the data before you upload to Carbonite would surely work. This would also prevent access from seemingly trustworthy parties otherwise (e.g., overreaching government warrants, disgruntled employee).

I just encrypt my backups and physically store them off-site in a secure location. Unless my whole city is annihilated, I should be good...

I just think it's stupid that the only protection you have from someone accessing your account is a username and password. If that gets out, they are in. It makes MUCH more sense that even if they had both of those they would still need my phone.

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

I just think it's stupid that the only protection you have from someone accessing your account is a username and password. If that gets out, they are in. It makes MUCH more sense that even if they had both of those they would still need my phone.

If you encrypt, they won't be doing anything with your data. 

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

I understand, but if you encrypt before you upload such an endeavor is pointless--they still couldn't access your data. It's just an option if there's no suitable alternative to Carbonite with two-factor authentication.

9 minutes ago, Veiva said:

I understand, but if you encrypt before you upload such an endeavor is pointless--they still couldn't access your data. It's just an option if there's no suitable alternative to Carbonite with two-factor authentication.

Correct. 

It's still just the principle of the thing and as such i'm dumping their ass!! I don't want anyone poking around my account regardless if my files are encrypted.

45 minutes ago, Jack W said:

Not sure on your exact needs - but, OneDrive? That has two-factor authentication as part of MSA.

Thought it over some more and I think i'm gonna do the $99 option which also gives me 1TB of one drive storage and office on 5 computers.,

Correct. 

It's still just the principle of the thing and as such i'm dumping their ass!! I don't want anyone poking around my account regardless if my files are encrypted.

Thought it over some more and I think i'm gonna do the $99 option which also gives me 1TB of one drive storage and office on 5 computers.,

Good deal - one of the pros of OneDrive is being able to get Office on multiple computers with it. :)

1 hour ago, Jack W said:

Good deal - one of the pros of OneDrive is being able to get Office on multiple computers with it. :)

Well, everything is going good so far. Thanks for the recommendation!

2 hours ago, Jack W said:

Yeah, I personally use OneDrive, simply because it works perfectly with Windows. Just syncs my photos by itself (and can set it to do screenshots), every other file I can just drop into OneDrive, or set the locations to auto-upload and boom, done.

I use OneDrive on both Windows *and* Android; however, the problem (on Android only) is making sure the default folder is on your SDcard (due to the size of typical files; most Android devices are seriously compromised in terms of internal storage)!

8 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Well, everything is going good so far. Thanks for the recommendation!

Great to hear, and no problem at all. :)

http://www.backblaze.com

I'mma look into them now for a backup option for my server. I'm not sure about 2 Auth, but they do encrypt your data I believe.

Edit:

Confirmed: Two Factor Auth.

https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217666588-Two-Factor-Verification

Unlimited Space, $5 / per computer / month. Honestly, can't argue with that!

2 hours ago, Jack W said:

OneDrive is barely an online service if you choose the business edition. It has so many limitations I would not trust it at all.

4 minutes ago, Depicus said:

OneDrive is barely an online service if you choose the business edition. It has so many limitations I would not trust it at all.

limitations such as?

7 minutes ago, Depicus said:

I only use the personal version of it, works well.

1 minute ago, Jack W said:

I only use the personal version of it, works well.

I'm using the business version, also working well :)

Oh man, I totally missed the part about Backblaze, sorry warwagon. Was their software really that bad? Wondering if they have an API System you could work with to develop your own.

3 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

Oh man, I totally missed the part about Backblaze, sorry warwagon. Was their software really that bad? Wondering if they have an API System you could work with to develop your own.

When researching it people were mentioning that in their reviews. When you first installs the software it scans your entire system and says ok, we are going to back all of this up. If you don't want some of the stuff backed up you can can exclude the folders from the backup. I was like... uh .... NO! I don't want to back any thing up except these folders.

Didn't find it very granular at all. Felt like it was catering to the lowest common denominator of stupid.

When researching it people were mentioning that in their reviews. When you first installs the software it scans your entire system and says ok, we are going to back all of this up. If you want you an exclude folders. I was like... uh .... NO! I don't want to back any thing up except these folders.

Ahhh.. I'm after a network drive being backed up. I'll check it out and see if any improvements have been made.

When was the last time you used it?

Just now, BinaryData said:

Ahhh.. I'm after a network drive being backed up. I'll check it out and see if any improvements have been made.

When was the last time you used it?

2 - 3 days ago.

Give the trial version a shot.

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

limitations such as?

1. Could not upload .aspx files unless you find some convoluted way to turn off.

2. On my Mac no idea if the 40GB of files I added have been uploaded as no way to tell from client

3. Cannot have space in front of file name

4. Cannot have % in file name which was a real PITA as I have a very old client with % in their name !!!!

5. Website hard to tell how much data you have and folder sizes

6. No file preview on web site

7. Apparent 20k file limit although I'm not sure I've gone over that yet.

8. Uploading 400GB of RAW pictures was so painful as web site only allowed 100 files upload at a time

9. Used to be able to WEBDAV in but seems that feature no longer works.

10. 2GB file size limit

I'm sure there are more and if it wasn't for the fact I get it free with the Office365 email I'd never pay for it. 

Edited by Depicus

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

I use Google Drive and it works great. I would have used OneDrive but for some reason the OneDrive client has always sucked for me. I don't know if I have too many files or what but several times when I have used it it just sat there "preparing to sync" or something to that effect for hours and did nothing. Installed Google Drive and it happily synced all my files right away. 

2 minutes ago, satysin said:

I use Google Drive and it works great. I would have used OneDrive but for some reason the OneDrive client has always sucked for me. I don't know if I have too many files or what but several times when I have used it it just sat there "preparing to sync" or something to that effect for hours and did nothing. Installed Google Drive and it happily synced all my files right away. 

I bought Syncback Pro v7 and it has support for office 365, Drive, One drive, so you can have it backup directly to it. It's pretty neato.

This is for backup right?  Or more like archive - your not pulling these files back right away? Have you looked at using a S3 bucket with zero day archive to glacier?  This way you get the speed of S3 for the upload and ease of use and then it just archives it off to glacier so you get the low cost of 1 cent per GB..

I have in the past put stuff direct to glacier, but been playing with using the S3 as front end, makes working with it much easier and you don't get the s3 bill if you use the 0 day move to glacier.

All the aws stuff supports MFA.. https://aws.amazon.com/iam/details/mfa/