Looking for new publishing/content managment

Question

Hey guys,

I need some advice. Right now my weblog is based on MovableType's blog system, which is a little lacking in features. My wish is to move to a good professional PHP based publishing system. But most of the options I've seen are based around PHPbb forum type entry, which I don't like. And I think PHPNuke is probably MORE than what I need. What options are available? What is NeoWin using? I love that system. :woot:

Here is my site: Pocketfactory

22 answers to this question

Just out of curiosity: what is it that movable type doesn't do for you?

I just set up moveable type on my server and so far I've been pretty impressed with it. I don't like how I have to do a rebuild everytime I post something. I see the advantages of doing it this way rather then having your site processes the database live (like in ASP or PHP) as that can cause unneccessary server load. I would really like to find something in ASP.Net though, as it has the advantages of re-processing newly entered data when it is entered, but provides good page caching for when the pages are being stagnant.

From first glance of movable type this is what I'm missing:

1. a user login to make comments. (from their web page this is going to be implimented in 3.0)

2. user access levels or user category viewing control. (so I can have a more personal category that only displays to the users i designate... But the way this thing is set up, that would be rather difficult to impliment on this system. I was thinking I could do it with Javascript, sorta. Just have the blocks I don't want the user to see to be display:none;.... but that really doesn't secure the content at all.)

MovableType is excellent, for a blog publishing system, but it just isn't as robust as a professional PHP publishing systems. Neowin itself is a good example. There's only so much you can do with a blog. And I hate the fact that MT is based on CGI/Perl rather than PHP. :x

Yes, and it sucks. Version 7.0 does 115 queries on the front page out of the box. Avoid it like the plague, and anything that is based off of it (PostNuke, Xaraya, etc).

WordPress might be another option. GeekLog, Mambo and others work too. Check out opensourcecms.com for some good demos of the software.

Mainly the resource usaeg and SQL injection hacks that it suffers so frequently. I honestly don't know why the developer lets that stuff happen anymore, considering there are several ways to stop SQL injection hacks at their source. It's, frankly, a poorly coded and poorly managed project.

eNvolution is also a PHPNuke fork, and suffers from a lot of it's shortcomings, as well. From what I've seen of that project, I don't have much more respect over PHPNuke for it, either.

e107 is another one to consider, too.

The only problem I see with e107 is that it seems to have it's own integrated forum. I already have a PHPBB forum running on my site. Mambo looks really nice, but it doesn't allow user comments which is critical to me. No easy choices. :wacko:

yeah i'm in the same damn boat foo...

one does this, one does that...none do that crap together. i like invisionboard for forums, no body integrates IB. all i really want is to have something to post news/journal crap on and intergrate my photo gallery powered by Gallery...in order to get that, i have to have 10 million freaking features that i'll never use. don't need a shoutbox, don't need downloads, don't need links, dont need faq, don't need advertisments, don't need this, dont need that...

...its a bloody ****ing headache

i should also point out that nearly all of them are NON-compliant with anything (css, html, xml, etc)

Edited by theprotege

i'm pretty well versed in php LAD and i started one about 7 months ago (mostly while bored at work). its progressingslowly but with side projects and testing stuff written in other languages from friends who pay me to be the guinea pig, its rather difficult to sit down at home in front of a monitor unless i absolutely have too. and to be honest, i go out of my way to find things to do with friends and family when i'm home instead of mulling over the thought of having to sit here staring at a large white space with tons of characters.

i use a nuke project right now for managing content ect...mainly because it was a 5 minute setup and it was working. i like e107 from what i've read and might switch to that, but its a little more complex than what i'm wanting...maybe i'll just buy a few bags of coffee and burn through night after night trying to complete my project...but somehow i don't think my family would go for that...i see little of them as it is already.

I purchased a license for Visuanews to play around with the package. It offers many of the features I'm looking for but custom theme/skin support is pathetic. Of all the CMS packages I've looked at, Mambo is still my favorite. If only it offered user commenting/feedback. :cry:

i'm pretty well versed in php LAD and i started one about 7 months ago (mostly while bored at work). its progressingslowly but with side projects and testing stuff written in other languages from friends who pay me to be the guinea pig, its rather difficult to sit down at home in front of a monitor unless i absolutely have too. and to be honest, i go out of my way to find things to do with friends and family when i'm home instead of mulling over the thought of having to sit here staring at a large white space with tons of characters.

i use a nuke project right now for managing content ect...mainly because it was a 5 minute setup and it was working. i like e107 from what i've read and might switch to that, but its a little more complex than what i'm wanting...maybe i'll just buy a few bags of coffee and burn through night after night trying to complete my project...but somehow i don't think my family would go for that...i see little of them as it is already.

heheh, I understand that. Family should be first!

I purchased a license for Visuanews to play around with the package. It offers many of the features I'm looking for but custom theme/skin support is pathetic. Of all the CMS packages I've looked at, Mambo is still my favorite. If only it offered user commenting/feedback. :cry:

Can't you code that in yourself? Shouldn't be too hard using PHP :)