Error visiting host in one browser but not another?

Question

KatGamer

When trying to visit my webhost, Bluehost, in Firefox I get this error:

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

In Chrome the site loads fine and lets me login.

The is problematic right now because my site is having issues and I need to know if the issue is because of the Bluehost issue or my website itself.

19 answers to this question

BinaryData
30 minutes ago, KatGamer said:

When trying to visit my webhost, Bluehost, in Firefox I get this error:

In Chrome the site loads fine and lets me login.

The is problematic right now because my site is having issues and I need to know if the issue is because of the Bluehost issue or my website itself.

Do you have a link by chance? Do you use SSL?

KatGamer

http://www.bluehost.com

I can't seem to actually visit http Bluehost because it keeps redirecting me to https.

My site is http://sierraplanet.com It is a Wordpress site and I believe WP uses SSL. The main site is back up now but I get a blank page when I try to go to the Wordpress admin page at http://sierraplanet.com/wp-admin/.

Going here http://sierraplanet.com/wp-login.php results in this error: ERROR: Cookies are blocked due to unexpected output. But my browser has cookies enabled, which was the problem WP's knowledgebase suggested.

I already tried live chat with Bluehost but I had a completely unhelpful agent who said he believed it was an issue with the theme or plugin (I hadn't changed anything so nothing should have gone down unless WP tried to auto-update). I would like to troubleshoot WP but I also can't get into my FTP and I don't know if that's also a Bluehost issue.

BinaryData

Did you just recently upgrade your WP? I know today was v4.5.2 release.

Looks like your wp-admin index is corrupted or broken. Something failed to work right.

I just checked my WP Admin panel, and it shows completely different code.

Edit:

Right Click http://sierraplanet.com/wp-admin and choose "Inspect Element". It shows standard HTML Tags, nothing else.
Now, if you go to my testing WP site, and do the same, you'll notice a difference in code.

http://datascorner.com/gxstesting/wp-admin

KatGamer

I did not but since I used Bluehost's automatic installer, I think it upgraded it for me. LIke I said, I can't get into my FTP. I will try Bluehost again, maybe I'll get a better representative this time.

BinaryData
1 minute ago, KatGamer said:

I did not but since I used Bluehost's automatic installer, I think it upgraded it for me. LIke I said, I can't get into my FTP. I will try Bluehost again, maybe I'll get a better representative this time.

You'll laugh, but are you sure it's FTP, I make this mistake all the time. My hosts all use SFTP. I forget to change it all the time, and it never logs in. I'm at work, so I can't help too much more. They frown upon us using company resources for personal stuff.

I'd keep trying, if all else fails, I'd switch hosts.

KatGamer

I just redownloaded Bluehost's FileZilla configuration data for Filezilla so it should all be accurate. I've never had to switch before.

Filezilla is also giving me a bluehost.com certificate error so I feel like they're having a problem.

BinaryData
25 minutes ago, KatGamer said:

I just redownloaded Bluehost's FileZilla configuration data for Filezilla so it should all be accurate. I've never had to switch before.

Filezilla is also giving me a bluehost.com certificate error so I feel like they're having a problem.

there's a special configuration? O.o that's new to me. Usually you just put the site address, port, and the FTP/SFTP/FTPS and your credentials and you're solid.

KatGamer

1 minute ago, BinaryData said:

there's a special configuration? O.o that's new to me. Usually you just put the site address, port, and the FTP/SFTP/FTPS and your credentials and you're solid.

Well, I forgot that you have to go into Site Manager and set it to "Only use plain FTP (insecure)." Apparently you can no longer use Filezilla's QuickConnect bar because of some kind of change FZ made that makes it not work with Bluehost. I got in after that.

I got a much more helpful agent this time who managed to restore the last version of my site to fix it, and is trying to see if the auto-updates on Bluehost's part can be stopped.

As for not being able to access bluehost.com in Firefox he suggested I clear my cache and cookies, which I did, and that didn't fix the problem, so he's passing that on to his supervisors.

BinaryData
Just now, KatGamer said:

Well, I forgot that you have to go into Site Manager and set it to "Only use plain FTP (insecure)." Apparently you can no longer use Filezilla's QuickConnect bar because of some kind of change FZ made that makes it not work with Bluehost. I got in after that.

I got a much more helpful agent this time who managed to restore the last version of my site to fix it, and is trying to see if the auto-updates on Bluehost's part can be stopped.

As for not being able to access bluehost.com in Firefox he suggested I clear my cache and cookies, which I did, and that didn't fix the problem, so he's passing that on to his supervisors.

I can access Bluehost.com via FireFox, and I checked via my home computer, as well as my cellphone.

You should really look into SFTP, which is FTP over SSH (Secure Shell), just passing on advice I received from others here. Glad you got it to work, drives me nuts when I can't login to do something.

+BudMan

"SFTP, which is FTP over SSH (Secure Shell)"

No not exactly...  SFTP is an extension to ssh..  Secure File Transfer Protocol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_File_Transfer_Protocol

Yes you can run ftp over a ssh connection via a tunnel - but they are completely different things...

The site works fine via http, but it has not been setup correctly for https -- so if your browser is trying to go to https then yeah its going to fail since the cert being presented is not correct for the domain in question.. You could always add an exception I guess

Unable to communicate securely with peer: requested domain name does not match the server's certificate.

wrongcert.png

BinaryData
1 minute ago, BudMan said:

"SFTP, which is FTP over SSH (Secure Shell)"

No not exactly...  SFTP is an extension to ssh..  Secure File Transfer Protocol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_File_Transfer_Protocol

Yes you can run ftp over a ssh connection via a tunnel - but they are completely different things...

Oops. Should probably think a little harder before I type.

KatGamer
On 5/8/2016 at 10:02 AM, BudMan said:

The site works fine via http, but it has not been setup correctly for https -- so if your browser is trying to go to https then yeah its going to fail since the cert being presented is not correct for the domain in question.. You could always add an exception I guess

Unable to communicate securely with peer: requested domain name does not match the server's certificate.

I just came here certain that Firefox was broken because now I'm suddenly unable to access Paypal as well! Augh! Again, it's working fine in Chrome. I even tried restarting Firefox in Safe Mode and still can't load either site.

firefoxpaypal.png

KatGamer

I just remembered something. When I got this laptop in January, and I first got online, I was having a problem accessing any secure site. even Google. Firefox and Chrome kept telling me the websites' security certificates had an issue. It turned out that somehow when I was setting up Windows 10, I'd missed the part where you set your date, time, and time zone, and so the websites were getting the wrong time from my computer. As soon as I set the time, the problem was gone.

However, the time is now set correctly and Chrome isn't having this problem. I wonder if something similar is going on with Firefox...?

BinaryData
36 minutes ago, KatGamer said:

I just came here certain that Firefox was broken because now I'm suddenly unable to access Paypal as well! Augh! Again, it's working fine in Chrome. I even tried restarting Firefox in Safe Mode and still can't load either site.

firefoxpaypal.png

Did you make any changes to your browser at all? Have you tried using Chrome?

29 minutes ago, KatGamer said:

I just remembered something. When I got this laptop in January, and I first got online, I was having a problem accessing any secure site. even Google. Firefox and Chrome kept telling me the websites' security certificates had an issue. It turned out that somehow when I was setting up Windows 10, I'd missed the part where you set your date, time, and time zone, and so the websites were getting the wrong time from my computer. As soon as I set the time, the problem was gone.

However, the time is now set correctly and Chrome isn't having this problem. I wonder if something similar is going on with Firefox...?

Hmmm strange. It's definitely on your end because PayPal works just fine for me. Something in FireFox is configured improperly.

I'd clear your cache, and try to reload FireFox / Paypal

+BudMan

Here is the thing... That is the not correct common name.. your on https://paypal.com which should of redirected you to www.paypal.com

commonname.png

Go to https://www.paypal.com does that work?

If you go to https://paypal.com you should get redirected to www.paypal.com if that fails then sure you could have a problem...  Next time stuff like this happens look in the advanced section, and even if you do not know what its saying - post that info!!

KatGamer

I did try clearing my cache and cookies, forgot to mention.

So, BudMan, it's not redirecting properly when I type in paypal.com?

I guess I'll try to reinstall Firefox.

I did try clearing my cache and cookies, forgot to mention.

So, BudMan, it's not redirecting properly when I type in paypal.com?

I guess I'll try to reinstall Firefox.

Boo Berry

I'd try backing up your bookmarks, then going to about:support and pressing the Refresh Firefox... button to start with a new profile.

It's possible your list of authorities are messed up, and starting with a new profile *should* address that. Firefox uses its own CA store when compared to other browsers, hence why it may be working in other browsers and not Firefox.

• Like 1
KatGamer

Well, that was crazy. I tried the "old fashioned" way of uninstalling Firefox and deleting my user folder and that didn't fix it, but your Refresh Firefox suggestion worked! Thanks!

• Like 1