Advice for a Beginnner

Question

So i've desided to take the plunge into the big, scarry world of programming. I don't want to do a lot, but i would like to be at least familiar with some of the most common languages.

the problem is, i have no idea what languages are better suited for what types of use. Why would i use C instead of C++ for instance? What type of languages are best used for simple manipulation and alteration of the files on my computer? Where the hell do i start on any of this?

6 answers to this question

IMO you should directly start with C and then move to C++ if you need object oriented programming.

C/C++ just looks weird and difficult due all the weird signs you use, but overall it's still easy.

And moving from an easy everything-forgiving language like VB to C is a very hard step, esp if you got used to VB semantics.

Krypto, depends, really what kind off programming you want to do, lets say you want to make web programming forms etc. go for PHP. As for win32 application I suggest you VB or delphi, although I know feel VB is tatty and is sometime slow. If your going to programe in Unix Systems go for C.

Ok, lets look at it this way, Since it will no doubt take me a great amount of time just to become solid in any one language, i should probably start with whatever is the most versitile language. I'd be creating small scripts and applications, so do i go with Delphi, C, C++ or VB?

Tom, I say start with VB so that he can get used to the concepts of control loops, structure and all the other stuff _with_ a forgiving language, so that there is no need to worry about the complexities of C / C++. Straight into these would be too demanding. Give VB ( or if you like Delphi ) a chance for a month of so, then move to C++...

I'd go with Delphi if I were you.

I started with VB, went to Delphi, and am staying with Delphi. You can do so much with Delphi and it is loads easier than C++.

You can download the free version of Delphi (Personnel Edition) from Borland.

I've met many VB programmers who have great respect for Delphi but I haven't met a single Delphi programmer who likes VB. That should say something (maybe that I should meet more people :) )