Blank entries showing in solution explorer, clicking them causes VS 2015 to crash

Question

+unabatedshagie

I work on around 35/40 different projects, I have one project which when I open it from source control explorer displays blank entries when viewing it in solution explorer. If I click on any of these blank entries in solution explorer visual studio 2015 crashes. This has been happening with both update 1 and update 2 of VS 2015. Can't remember if it happened on vanilla 2015 and I don't have 2013 installed to try with that.

I'm able to access all the files in the solution and open them to edit if I browse to then via source control explorer.

I've tried disabling all my extensions, I've tried running studio in safe mode. Still happens. I've also tried nuking my profile by running devenv.exe /ResetUserData but it still happens when I open this one particular project.

Has anyone came across this before or know how to fix it?

The only thing I've found that fixes it is to delete the .vs folder in the project and re-open the solution. This fixes it for a while but then I can open the solution again and there are blank entries again.

ov9IF.png

10 answers to this question

DevTech

Things to try:

1. Run VS2015 in admin mode to see if it is a permission issue.

2. Check for odd char encodings or special chars in the files.

3. manually edit the csproj file and the project.json and look for anonmolies. Or delete all the project files and re-create the projects into a new solution if that is feasible.

DevTech

It might help people if you reference your previous question on the same topic:

+unabatedshagie
7 minutes ago, DevTech said:

It might help people if you reference your previous question on the same topic:

I'd actually forgotten I'd posted it here previously. I thought I'd only posted on Stackoverflow. :blush:

DevTech

"Usually this is caused by extra references in either the .sln or .suo files."

Thanks, I'm not sure what I did differently but I deleted all the files locally and got the latest code from source control and the problem seems to have fixed itself.

- It seems that every time you start over, you are just pulling the problem in again from your source control. You should examine your sln/csproj/projectjson files in extreme detail to see if something is odd with them.

- Also consider setting everything on your computer and VS to U.S. English to eliminate character encodings as a potential issue.

- Anything out of ordinary with the computer hardware such as non-standard keyboard, other input devices, running in a VM, etc

+unabatedshagie
5 hours ago, DevTech said:

Things to try:

1. Run VS2015 in admin mode to see if it is a permission issue.

2. Check for odd char encodings or special chars in the files.

3. manually edit the csproj file and the project.json and look for anonmolies. Or delete all the project files and re-create the projects into a new solution if that is feasible.

1. Running in admin doesn't help, still get blank entries.

2. I haven't checked all the file (there are thousands) but the ones I have checked all seem fine.

3. That's not something that's possible unfortunately.

DevTech

Although it is only the one project, it seems like the type of error condition that VS2015 should be able to handle without crashing.

- so you probably have Update 3 installed but if not...

- you have given no details on your specific hardware and software and the type of project - ASP.NET or Console or WPF or UWP etc.

- for me I have observed that VS2015 is very glitchy on older hardware specially computers that can't run Hyper-V. This is a voodoo type tip which I really hate but turn on Hyper-V just in case it helps (needs a reboot) . Solved some really weird VS2015 bugs for me.

- try Microsoft Connect site and enter the problem description. They will respond, sometimes with useful info.

DevTech

- any VS add-ons could be a suspect - perhaps disable them for a test

- any software that monitors keystrokes could connect to the problem such as a real virus, a secret corporate installed keylogger, any anti-virus software, clipboard and "hot key" utility software, screen recording utils etc etc

- intermittent hard drive sector read issue - perhaps run full sector disk scan and also ye old "sfc /scannow" command

+unabatedshagie
16 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Although it is only the one project, it seems like the type of error condition that VS2015 should be able to handle without crashing.

- so you probably have Update 3 installed but if not...

- you have given no details on your specific hardware and software and the type of project - ASP.NET or Console or WPF or UWP etc.

- for me I have observed that VS2015 is very glitchy on older hardware specially computers that can't run Hyper-V. This is a voodoo type tip which I really hate but turn on Hyper-V just in case it helps (needs a reboot) . Solved some really weird VS2015 bugs for me.

- try Microsoft Connect site and enter the problem description. They will respond, sometimes with useful info.

• I've got the latest VS updates installed.
  • I've got basically the same spec computer as everyone else in the office (Intel i5, 16GB ram, terabyte drive) The only difference between my hardware and everyone else's is I bought myself a decent Logitech keyboard and mouse to replace the crappy ones that came with the machine. All machines are running Windows 10 64bit. It's a massive project, not exactly sure what it all contains. It's definitely got console applications in it. It's a website with multiple front ends, service layers backends etc. Millions of lines of code.
  • I've got hyper-v enabled on my machine.
  • Will try there too.
8 minutes ago, DevTech said:

- any VS add-ons could be a suspect - perhaps disable them for a test

- any software that monitors keystrokes could connect to the problem such as a real virus, a secret corporate installed keylogger, any anti-virus software, clipboard and "hot key" utility software, screen recording utils etc etc

- intermittent hard drive sector read issue - perhaps run full sector disk scan and also ye old "sfc /scannow" command

• I do have VS extensions but the issue occurs in safe mode and (not due to this issue) a fresh Windows install with a fresh VS install with no extensions added.
  • The only thing I have that monitors keystrokes would be an autohotkey script that I use to quickly launch a bunch of console applications for various websites I'm testing. Also replaces @@ with my email address (because I'm lazy :-) )
  • I haven't tried a disk scan. Will do one over the weekend.
DevTech
4 minutes ago, unabatedshagie said:

• I've got basically the same spec computer as everyone else in the office (Intel i5, 16GB ram, terabyte drive) The only difference between my hardware and everyone else's is I bought myself a decent Logitech keyboard and mouse to replace the crappy ones that came with the machine. All machines are running Windows 10 64bit. It's a massive project, not exactly sure what it all contains. It's definitely got console applications in it. It's a website with multiple front ends, service layers backends etc. Millions of lines of code.
  • If you copy your project to another computer in the office at the time of crash, it does not have the issue?

• The only thing I have that monitors keystrokes would be an autohotkey script that I use to quickly launch a bunch of console applications for various websites I'm testing. Also replaces @@ with my email address (because I'm lazy :-) )
  • uninstall autohotkey and reboot when you have the issue
  • also disable WIndows Defender or any Anti-Virus Software temporarily when you have the issue

• I haven't tried a disk scan. Will do one over the weekend.
  • also the "sfc /scannow" quickly identifies any fundamental O/S corruptions

- in addition to above comments, you could temporarily install a second VS2015 into a fresh Windows VM which would give you more control over making a bare minimum config that can load the files from the project that are suspect. Also don't sign into VS as yourself to avoid pulling in any settings from the cloud on a fresh install.

- also, is the project pulling in any stuff from Nuget? if so, can you provide a list?

- after all of the above, we still have the option of debugging VS2015 itself as the problem happens, but that removes all the Sherlock Holmes style fun of logically deducing the culprit :)

DevTech

There is a tool here that removes whitespace and checks line endings etc. That tool as-is or some mod to it that also checks char ranges etc for unusual "somethings" might be useful.

https://github.com/KirillOsenkov/CodeCleanupTools

I'm all out of ideas until more info is available.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Hamza Jawad
      Low-code updates in Power Platform for GitHub and Azure are now in preview
      by Hamza Jawad

Over the past year, Microsoft has been working on closer integration of the Power Platform with Azure and Visual Studio, in keeping with "low-code" fusion projects. In September last year, the tech giant revealed how the Power Platform was benefiting from Azure AI services. In July, meanwhile, the Power BI Snowflake connector introduced a capability to enable single sign-on (SSO) based on Azure Active Directory (AAD) authentication.

At its digital Ignite conference today, Microsoft announced updates for the Power Platform that directly link with GitHub and Azure services.

For starters, Azure API Management connectors are now available, allowing developers to utilize API Management and Azure Functions to build Power Platform connectors. Citizen developers can even distribute Power Apps services through Microsoft Teams, without having to purchase any stand-alone Power Apps license requirements.

Moving on, Power Platform has now been brought to GitHub, enabling professional developers to create software development lifecycle (SDLC) workflows using GitHub actions in the marketplace. The GitHub connector for the Power Platform can be used to manage various solutions with ease, through "self-service continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD)" for citizen devs.

And finally, the Power Virtual Agents (PWA) service will now work in conjunction with the Azure Bot Framework to allow the creation of bots with virtually no coding. Azure development tools like Bot Framework Composer will be utilizable in terms of adding custom dialogues to PWA bots, that can be saved, hosted, and executed with other bot content. The feature will become generally available in October.

In related news, Power Automate Desktop is now in public preview, expanding on the robotic process automation (RPA) capability that was announced for Power Automate at last year's Ignite event. The desktop variant of the service allows for the automation of Windows-based tasks for both citizen developers and business users. The visual design especially caters to non-coders, though higher levels of control are also provided for more advanced users.

• By Usama Jawad96
      C++ extension for Visual Studio Code hits version 1.0
      by Usama Jawad

Microsoft's Visual Studio Code is a free code editor for Windows, Linux, and macOS that is used by a lot of developers because of its small disk footprint and customization options. The C++ extension for Visual Studio Code is particularly popular because it packs a number of features such as debugging and IntelliSense code completion, and its agnosticism to various platforms and architectures.

Now, Microsoft has announced the first generally available release of this extension.

The C++ extension already includes a number of developer-friendly features such as IntelliSense, code navigation, support for refactoring, semantic colorization, and debugging capabilities such as breakpoints, watch variables, and "step" functionality, among others.

With version 1.0, Microsoft is bringing support for Linux on ARM and ARM64, which includes remote build and debug capabilities. To make the configuration of IntelliSense easier, the company has released a video tutorial which you can view here. The update also features new rich formatting settings for C++, with all formatting configurations that are available in Visual Studio IDE being ported over to Visual Studio Code. Performance in this release has been improved as well.

Lastly, the firm has created a C++ Extension Pack so developers can take full advantage of Visual Studio Code. It includes the following:

If you're interested in trying out version 1.0 of the C++ extension for Visual Studio Code, you can do so by following Microsoft's instructions here.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft is retiring Visual Studio Codespaces, users being migrated to GitHub Codespaces
      by Usama Jawad

Recently, Microsoft renamed Visual Studio Online to Visual Studio Codespaces, and a public preview for it was announced at the company's Ignite 2019 conference. The service, which has gone through several iterations and rebranding over the past few years, allows developers to code from anywhere by offering them cloud-hosted environments directly within the browser. It also offers support for GitHub repositories and a command line interface (CLI) for efficient workflows and robust development capabilities.

Now, Microsoft has announced that it is retiring the service and users are being transitioned to GitHub Codespaces.

In a blog post, Microsoft has stated that Visual Studio Codespaces is being consolidated into GitHub Codespaces based on user feedback it received during the preview phase. The company says that:

Moving forward, users of the service's public preview are being encouraged to transition to GitHub Codespaces, which is also in limited public beta right now. Azure subscribers with a Visual Studio Codespaces plan will also be sent emails asking about their preferred GitHub account. Meanwhile, developers utilizing Visual Studio 2019 and its support of Codespaces will also be onboarded to the private preview on GitHub as soon as it becomes available.

The Redmond firm has released the following timeline detailing how it plans to retire Visual Studio Codespaces:

Microsoft has stated that it is currently evaluating which features from the Visual Studio service should be migrated to GitHub under General Availability (GA). New users have been encouraged to request access to the GitHub Codespaces limited public beta.

Source: Microsoft via MSPoweruser

• By indospot
      Microsoft delivers updates to Visual Studio 2019, plus a new preview
      by João Carrasqueira

In time for the Build developer event, Microsoft has announced new versions of Visual Studio 2019 for Windows and macOS. Windows users can now get version 16.6, while those on Mac can get version 8.6. Additionally, Microsoft released the first preview of Visual Studio 2019 16.7 for Windows.

Starting with Windows users, Visual Studio 16.6 comes with a few improvements, including updates to C++, which can now generate Doxygen and XML comment stubs automatically. There's also a new IntelliSense code linter that checks code as it's typed, highlighting errors and making suggestions in the editor window. There's also a new Windows Forms Designer for .NET Core apps, which can be enabled under Preview Features. This release also includes a few improvements that were already available in the preview releases of version 16.6:

You can download the latest version of Visual Studio 2019 from here.

In addition, Windows users can also try out the first preview for Visual Studio 2019 version 16.7. This will be the next baseline servicing release for Visual Studio 2019, meaning it will be serviced for a year after the following servicing baseline.

This release includes a long list of improvements, such as improved Git branch management, a C++ address sanitizer, a new DebuggerDisplay attribute for .NET development, improvements to IntelliSense and IntelliCode, XAML tooling improvements, and much more. You can read all about the changes here, and download the latest preview version of Visual Studio 2019 here.

Meanwhile, developers on macOS can get Visual Studio 2019 version 8.6. This release comes with a new integrated terminal to help reduce window switching, and support for building web apps with Blazor WebAssembly. This release can also create gRPC service projects with a new template. Additionally, this version has an improved sign-in experience, support for drag-and-drop to set the next statement, and improved discoverability thanks to new version control commands. You can download the latest version of Visual Studio for Mac here, or update through Visual Studio itself if you've already installed it.

• By Sszecret
      Here are the Azure dev tools announcements from this year's Build conference
      by Florin Bodnarescu

Moving on from database, cognitive services, and infrastructure news, we should also touch on the Azure developer tool announcements from this year’s virtual Build event.

.NET 5, ASP.NET and more

The biggest news surrounding .NET 5 is that Preview 4 is now available – more info here -, and that general availability is coming in November. The new version will continue the unification of the .NET platform across devices and workloads, with smaller, faster single file EXEs that use less memory, and are thus appropriate for microservices and containerized apps. All workloads will eventually be supported.

On a related note, Microsoft also announced and provided a demonstration of .NET Multi-platform App UI (.NET MAUI), which enables developers to build apps for any device via a single codebase and project system. An evolution of Xamarin.Forms, .NET MAUI will be part of the unified .NET “in the .NET 6 time frame” with previews set to be available by the end of this year.

Another developer-friendly announcement relates to ASP.NET Blazor – which enables devs to create interactive web UIs using C# instead of JavaScript -, and more specifically its support for WebAssembly. This translates into the compiled applications running faster and consuming less memory compared to their JavaScript equivalents. Go to this link for more info.

Other Azure services

For JavaScript devs that are building static or “single page” web apps, there’s now a public preview of the Static Web Apps hosting option in Azure App Service. What this allows you to do is use the JAMstack pattern and point to source code in a GitHub repository, and orchestrate the relevant services needed much quicker than before.

On the Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) side of the fence, there’s now support for Windows Server containers, private clusters via Azure Private Link and integration with Azure Advisor for improved security and performance.

Visual Studio

Moving on to Visual Studio, the Live Share feature – which enables co-editing and debugging in real time – now has support for text and voice chat, in addition to sharing of running apps. All of these features are now in public preview.

Visual Studio Codespaces (previously Visual Studio Online) now has support for a new preview instance type, and the pricing has been lowered for all instance times. Codespaces is additionally available in GitHub as a private preview.

GitHub

Available in beta as part of GitHub Advanced Security, there’s now code scanning and secret scanning – free for public repos. Secret scanning (previously token scanning) has been available for public repositories since 2018, but it is now available for private repositories too. It’s put in place to prevent unauthorized access and it watches for known secret formats, immediately notifying developers of its findings.

For those using both GitHub and Azure, there’s now a set of GitHub Actions for Azure – in excess of 30 – which are integrated into VS Code, Azure CLI, and the Azure Portal to simplify the creation of workflows for building, testing, packaging and deploying to Azure.

As an addition to all of this, the GitHub Discussions forum is now in public beta, allowing folks to talk about various GitHub related things, talks which were previously only possible under pull requests and issues.

The last bit of developer-centric news for Azure is Microsoft’s release of a Developer Velocity Assessment tool to measure a DVI (Developer Velocity Index). For those not familiar, Developer Velocity is basically a new term for developer productivity as it relates to business performance.