new to ubuntu - can't install any applications

Hi,

Picked up a PC for free with no HDD, so I bought a cheap HDD on eBay and installed Ubuntu 16.

I can't seem to install anything on it.  I've tried installing a few apps from the built in "Ubuntu Software" thingy, as well as Steam and Folding At Home (F@H).

I open the .deb files and click "Install."  It looks like something is happening... then nothing.  Any ideas?

I've had problems with the 16.04 LTS, I had to revert to the 15.04 version.

Did you download the 32bit or 64bit?

Have you tried running the install through command line?

64 bit; it's installed on an Intel quad core processor.

Yes, tried the command line.  It asked for my password (which is more than double clicking the .deb got me), but then nothing.

I did a fresh install, so I'm not sure I can revert to 15... is that possible?  

I really just wanted to install Ubuntu to learn Linux, as I've never used it before.  

17 minutes ago, crazzy88ss said:

64 bit; it's installed on an Intel quad core processor.

Yes, tried the command line.  It asked for my password (which is more than double clicking the .deb got me), but then nothing.

I did a fresh install, so I'm not sure I can revert to 15... is that possible?  

I really just wanted to install Ubuntu to learn Linux, as I've never used it before.  

Personally, I'd avoid Ubuntu then. It's a great OS, however it has "some" uniqueness to it that others don't have.

Debian/Mint are good alternatives, and CentOS is another that's good to learn. Debian/RPM Packages.

4 hours ago, BinaryData said:

Personally, I'd avoid Ubuntu then. It's a great OS, however it has "some" uniqueness to it that others don't have.

Debian/Mint are good alternatives, and CentOS is another that's good to learn. Debian/RPM Packages.

Personally,

I'd avoid that bloatware Ubuntu to the max also and go with Debian!

I have been playing with a Linux distro called Quelito, http://wavesofthefuture.net/computers/linux-operating-system-refurbish-computer-free.shtml which is a less bloated version of Lubuntu, and is very easy to set up with the non free things you need.

Otherwise, what BooBerry said should've worked.

7 hours ago, Boo Berry said:

sudo dpkg -i <path to .deb file>

That should do it.

Yea that's what I was doing.  It asked me for password, then didn't do anything.  Rebooted this morning and it worked.... kinda.

I'm installing the Folding @ Home client.  It got me through all the info input for the client, but then when it finished, I was given this:

[sudo] password for stephen:
	Selecting previously unselected package fahclient.
	(Reading database ... 205739 files and directories currently installed.)
	Preparing to unpack fahclient_7.4.4_amd64.deb ...
	Adding system user fahclient...done
	Unpacking fahclient (7.4.4) ...
	Setting up fahclient (7.4.4) ...
	update-rc.d: error: no runlevel symlinks to modify, aborting!
	dpkg: error processing package fahclient (--install):
	 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
	Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6ubuntu3) ...
	Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu5) ...
	Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.3~bzr0+16.04.20160415-0ubuntu1) ...
	Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
	Processing triggers for mime-support (3.59ubuntu1) ...
	Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu5) ...
	Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...
	ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
	Errors were encountered while processing:
	 fahclient

Aw geeze... those are AMD installers.  I've an Intel processor...

I got the one listed for Ubuntu... there wasn't an intel option.  The only intel option on F@H's website shows redhat... does it matter?

37 minutes ago, crazzy88ss said:

Aw geeze... those are AMD installers.  I've an Intel processor...

I got the one listed for Ubuntu... there wasn't an intel option.  The only intel option on F@H's website shows redhat... does it matter?

amd is just their mark for x64 so whenever you have a x64 cpu (basically all modern amd and intel cpus are) it should be ok.

There've been some known issues with 16.04 and installing software ... in fact, 16.04 has been an unmitigated disaster. Lots of damage control around this one, and Canonical (the company that runs Ubuntu) have really botched things up.

Most everyone has gone back to using the previous LTS Release (14.04) or 15.10 until 16.04 gets its' first major feature update in July. It's pretty likely that 15.10's support window will be extended to 16.10's release.

Instructions for fixing 16.04 (because until you update the system the fixes can't be applied):

(reference is: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/1573206)

Fire up the Terminal (Dash -> type 'Terminal' and it'll be there, click on it)

Type (or copy/paste):

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Type in your password, restart, and install something through Software to confirm all is working.

See, that wasn't so difficult was it? Next time, perform updates before installing anything. It's just good practices and standards.

25 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

I haven't encountered any issues installing software in my Ubuntu 16.04 VM.

Webmin didn't install for the first week after 16.04 was released with apt-get but the author fixed it, did see some mention of package manager having a few changes but didn't follow up as it seems to work now and at the time a deb install worked fine.

Interesting.

I'm also sure users are running into the the apt weak digest warnings about SHA-1 certificates when installing some .deb files (Chrome being an example).

15 hours ago, BinaryData said:

Do the other flavors of Linux have the ability to run steam. For me, I have a dormant Steam account from time past, but do all linux flavors have some sort of access to Steam?

Yes they do. Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Arch, etc. all can run Steam just fine. :)

Easiest way for Debian-based OSes is to download the .deb file off Steam's website and install it from the Terminal then launch the Steam Launcher to finish the installation. :)

Just now, Boo Berry said:

Yes they do. Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Arch, etc. all can run Steam just fine. :)

Easiest way for Debian-based OSes is to download the .deb file and install it from the Terminal then launch the Steam Launcher to finish the installation. :)

I admit being simple minded. I just click the "download" button and install from the website. or maybe the package installer.

That explains why I'm having so many freaking problems with installing and using make. I installed g++ 15x, says it installs but none of the dependencies are there. I'll try with 14.04 LTS.

Using DigitalOcean, by the way.

9 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

I admit being simple minded. I just click the "download" button and install from the website. or maybe the package installer.

Got an example of a game? Found an awesome game while I was looking for one called "Retool". Looks to teach you how to hack via a game. Gotta re-wire things. I think I found my new favorite game :D

I installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and it seems to be going better.

No issues installing Folding@Home (you guys should contribute to the Neowin group!  I'm the #1 contributor; somebody beat me!).

Steam is still having issues though.  TBD.

• Like 1